_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coronavirus will impact MLB Draft-eligible Ragin' Cajuns

Default Re: Coronavirus will impact MLB Draft-eligible Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    If cost is the issue, can't the extend eligibility without extending scholarships?

Most are only getting 25% to 40% anyhow.
    Well, since our athletic dept has 37 seniors and this is expected to cost 400K, that's a lot. I don't think you can tell a senior, 'Hey, you've been granted an extra year. And, oh, by the way, It's gonna cost you an extra ten grand for the privilege.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    There is real concern bunches of minor league teams will fold this year as a result of financial losses. The end result may be the increasing talent level in college. College coaches will have a better selection. Who knows how long it lasts though.
    I think the number of affiliated minor league teams will no doubt go down. Independent teams will be very interesting to watch.

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Well, since our athletic dept has 37 seniors and this is expected to cost 400K, that's a lot. I don't think you can tell a senior, 'Hey, you've been granted an extra year. And, oh, by the way, It's gonna cost you an extra ten grand for the privilege.'
    Why not. Nobody else in this country is being made whole.

Blog Entries

The electricity that it costs to warm and cool the room with a few more bodies in it can't be that much.

In reality it costs the school nothing to put an extra student in the room.

These "costs" are monopoly money.

I never understood the 11.7 limit because it certainly isn't costs.

Dad04 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The new agreement allows MLB to reduce the amateur draft from from 40 rounds to as few as five rounds this summer. The signing bonus pool, which was set to increase by 3-5%, will remain the same the next two years. Players will also be required to defer 90% of their signing bonuses the next two years.

The draftees can be paid up to $100,000 this year, 50% by July 1 2001, and final July 1, 2022.

Also, all amateurs who go undrafted can receive a maximum signing bonus of $20,000.

So a sixth rounder (if only 5 rounds) gets $20,000. Good Gravy. There goes any leverage using returning to school, a senior might have, if he gets a do over.

College baseball talent just got a whole lot deeper. Coaches will have more dudes than than they can use. Any bone they throw seniors is a bonus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge/2924334001/

Blog Entries

The new agreement allows MLB to reduce the amateur draft from from 40 rounds to as few as five rounds this summer. The signing bonus pool, which was set to increase by 3-5%, will remain the same the next two years. Players will also be required to defer 90% of their signing bonuses the next two years.

The draftees can be paid up to $100,000 this year, 50% by July 1 2001, and final July 1, 2022.

Also, all amateurs who go undrafted can receive a maximum signing bonus of $20,000.

So a sixth rounder (if only 5 rounds) gets $20,000. Good Gravy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge/2924334001/
    I'm guessing this is one of the very few places where they can manipulate obligations

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I'm guessing this is one of the very few places where they can manipulate obligations
    They have the players over a barrel with zero baseball being played. Last fall's cuts were mild compared to next fall. I am guessing there will be a lot of late signs over the summer after all this shakes out. Some of our new guys might be one and done.

MLB has the option to extend the draft to 10 rounds. They could also push the draft back later in the summer, until they know when the season begins and a better handle on their revenue. D1 will get deeper, but I really expect JUCO's to benefit. Assuming players have acceptable/eligible grades, they can go get immediate playing time at a JUCO and reassess after one year.

They have the players over a barrel with zero baseball being played. Last fall's cuts were mild compared to next fall. I am guessing there will be a lot of late signs over the summer after all this shakes out. Some of our new guys might be one and done.
    As for JC transfers you probably right. If they not playing now they would not be playing next year and they would be done anyhow. We have only two freshmen and I think both of those are safe.

As for JC transfers you probably right. If they not playing now they would not be playing next year and they would be done anyhow. We have only two freshmen and I think both of those are safe.
    I agree about the freshmen. I was thinking the juco guys. Some of the top national high school players probably blew off grades this year and will have few options. Every 10th rounder thinks he is a 2nd rounder.

D1 baseball released its top 250 prospects. These include JUCO's and draft eligible college players. It does not include HS players, but they reserved mock draft slots for the traditional number of HS players in each of the first ten rounds.

Hayden Cantrelle was projected as a second round pick. Connor Angel in round seven. Those were the only two Cajuns on the list.

D1 baseball released its top 250 prospects. These include JUCO's and draft eligible college players. It does not include HS players, but they reserved mock draft slots for the traditional number of HS players in each of the first ten rounds.

Hayden Cantrelle was projected as a second round pick. Connor Angel in round seven. Those were the only two Cajuns on the list.
    So is it fairly safe to say that regardless of where the NCAA lands on eligibility changes, these two are gone?

Not necessarily. If the draft is just five rounds, Angel may not get drafted. And, this is just a projection by a college baseball website.

If the year of eligibility is granted, the better the chance these guys return. According to MLB, those who sign can get a max bonus of 100,000 the first year and the rest of the bonus paid over a two year period.

If the extra year is granted, these two guys will have as much leverage after the 2021 season as they do now.

Each individual has his own choice to make.

Not necessarily. If the draft is just five rounds, Angel may not get drafted. And, this is just a projection by a college baseball website.

If the year of eligibility is granted, the better the chance these guys return. According to MLB, those who sign can get a max bonus of 100,000 the first year and the rest of the bonus paid over a two year period.

If the extra year is granted, these two guys will have as much leverage after the 2021 season as they do now.

Each individual has his own choice to make.
    So this draft will be basically offering Senior only type money?

So this draft will be basically offering Senior only type money?

Of course not.

BUT, those who sign only get 100,000 of their bonus the first year. The rest of the bonus is split into two payments, one in 2021 and the other in 2022.

Of course not.

BUT, those who sign only get 100,000 of their bonus the first year. The rest of the bonus is split into two payments, one in 2021 and the other in 2022.
    So,why would 5 wait then if he is not granted another year of eligibility?

He probably wouldn't.

My points were based on them having the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I think the number of affiliated minor league teams will no doubt go down. Independent teams will be very interesting to watch.
    Prior to all this, mlb had intended to draw down 42 minor league teams and realign leagues anyway....

If 5 goes 2nd round, he will get paid.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...s-slot-values/

Everybody gets an extra year. Rosters get expanded with schools given flexibility.

https://d1baseball.com/columns/ncaa-...eniors-relief/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2