_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ole Buckley Stirring The Pot

Default Re: Ole Buckley Stirring The Pot

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Not Buckley's article. Someone named Potter.
    Photo looks like he majored in Mindcraft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Actually he is incorrect, UL is not taking it's 3% transfer from the budget. Every other state school in the UL system is currently taking it.
    UL takes less % of budget than ALL OTHER State schools not LSU. Very misleading for writer to leave this part unclear. Example.....McNeese (& only McNeese) has a waiver of some sort to exceed the 3%. They have well less than half the students of UL but use nearly 2x more state funds per % of budget vs UL for athletics.

Seriously other pathetic reporter guy who wrote most of article and to lesser degree Buckley......get off your ___ and do your job!

Policarp, can you provide a little more detail. What do you mean by takes less % of budget? Do you mean of the UL budget or the state budget? What I think I understand you are saying is that say hypothetically UL has a $100M budget and the state provides UL $20M, then this would be 20% of the UL budget provided by the state. Whereas another school also getting $20M, but only have a $50M budget, would be getting 40% of their budget from the state.

Is this the point you were making?

Blog Entries

Athletics max is 3% of budget, it's simple math. UL takes the lowest % of all....less LSU and that is fact. Writer is a moron as he assumes Ceteris Paribus (all things assumed equal).....totally misleading to not be clear that UL is 50%-400% larger than ALL those he is comparing UL too AND UL has 2x-9x budget of ALL if you throw in research budgets

Article is Fake News.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Athletics max is 3% of budget, it's simple math. UL takes the lowest % of all....less LSU and that is fact. Writer is a moron as he assumes Ceteris Paribus (all things assumed equal).....totally misleading to not be clear that UL is 50%-400% larger than those all those he is comparing UL too AND UL has 2x-9x budget of ALL if you throw in research budgets

Article is Fake News.

Translation : lazy , click bait Buckley style

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Translation : lazy , click bait Buckley style
    This clown Potter has no business writing about UL. Checked out his twitter and its all purple and gold love. The advertiser should be ashamed, desperate times for them. LSU alum with obvious agenda.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    This clown Potter has no business writing about UL. Checked out his twitter and its all purple and gold love. The advertiser should be ashamed, desperate times for them. LSU alum with obvious agenda.
    .....Thanks to all that cleared up the factual data of the monies.....hopefully we can get one of you guys or a UL administrator to send a letter to the paper....I think/hope that this could be a spend money to make money deal......put some bucks into football and have had 2 good W/L years along with some great recruiting.......this needs to be a turn around year for attendance and other revenue we can do what we have done in the past—-let's do it and fill the seats!

It is no doubt a biased piece, I am just trying to understand the UL financials that were audited and submitted to the state.

Athletics received a little more than $16M "from the University", how much of this is directly from RCAF, since technically RCAF is part of the University?

If not all $16M is coming from RCAF, then how is it accounted for from the University? How do we know what are 'state funds' and what are not?

I am sure the answers are very long so if you just want to point me to links I will read and educated myself, but I have Googled it and haven't found the answers.

CajunT is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

It is no doubt a biased piece, I am just trying to understand the UL financials that were audited and submitted to the state.

Athletics received a little more than $16M "from the University", how much of this is directly from RCAF, since technically RCAF is part of the University?

Let's start here with the fact that RCAF is not separated from the UL Lafayette Foundation, they both have the same tax ID number. So any transfer of funds from RCAF to athletics is still designated as institutional support. As are any funds derived from fees (facility), is also designated institutional support. The rest of the of the budget shortfall is paid off through private donations. RCAF is not transferring $16m per year to athletics. That transfer in the past has been around $6m or $7mil.

If not all $16M is coming from RCAF, then how is it accounted for from the University? How do we know what are 'state funds' and what are not?

UL is not taking the 3% transfer to athletics allowed by state law from the annual university budget and hasn't been for about four or five years. There is no state funds being used for athletics, it's all private funds as well as some fees still on the books.

ULM, Louisiana Tech, SELU, Nichols, McNeese, NWST, Grambling and Southern are all still taking the 3% transfer from their annual budgets. They are all using state funds towards athletics.

I am sure the answers are very long so if you just want to point me to links I will read and educated myself, but I have Googled it and haven't found the answers.

T - I appreciate the detailed answers. So, as long as RCAF is part of the UL Lafayette Foundation, all money given by RCAF will show up as institutional support?

Second question, how does that 3% show up on other university budgets/audits? Does it show up as institutional support as well or is it classified differently? This would help in debating the issues with alumni of other state universities.

Blog Entries

T - I appreciate the detailed answers. So, as long as RCAF is part of the UL Lafayette Foundation, all money given by RCAF will show up as institutional support?

Second question, how does that 3% show up on other university budgets/audits? Does it show up as institutional support as well or is it classified differently? This would help in debating the issues with alumni of other state universities.
    There is no other way to report it, RCAF is an entity of the UL Lafayette Foundation. It's simply moving funds from within the foundation. It has to be reported as institutional support.

Any transfer of funds within the foundation is institutional support, so the 3% has been reported on the audit as Institutional support, or Other Institutional support in the past.

There is no other way to report it, RCAF is an entity of the UL Lafayette Foundation. It's simply moving funds from within the foundation. It has to be reported as institutional support.

Any transfer of funds within the foundation is institutional support, so the 3% has been reported on the audit as Institutional support, or Other Institutional support in the past.
    No. Money coming from the Foundation is reported as Contributions. Always been reported that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    No. Money coming from the Foundation is reported as Contributions. Always been reported that way.
    Okay, I see it under contributions $7,128,275. I also see Direct Institutional Support and Indirect Institutional Support.

https://www.lla.la.gov/PublicReports...E/0001BAF2.pdf

Even though they are under the same Tax ID number it is listed as a contribution?
    The institution and the foundation do not have the same tax ID.

Blog Entries

The institution and the foundation do not have the same tax ID.
    It is listed on the state website list of 501C, UL of Lafayette Foundation and RCAF is an entity of said foundation with the same Tax ID #. So if they are not, why is it listed as so on the state website?

It is listed on the state website list of 501C, UL of Lafayette Foundation and RCAF is an entity of said foundation with the same Tax ID #. So if they are not, why is it listed as so on the state website?
    You are not following.

The University and the Foundation are separate entities. Anything coming from the Foundation is not coming from the institution so it is not reported as institutional support.

The last page of the LLA report even explains why our contribution revenue decreased so much. It's because less money came from the Foundation.

Blog Entries

You are not following.

The University and the Foundation are separate entities. Anything coming from the Foundation is not coming from the institution so it is not reported as institutional support.

The last page of the LLA report even explains why our contribution revenue decreased so much. It's because less money came from the Foundation.
    You are talking about how the contributions are separated for revenue purposes. That does not change the fact that RCAF is listed as an entity of the UL of Louisiana Foundation with the same Tax ID. The do in fact share the same TAX ID Number on the state website. It's public information.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

You are talking about how the contributions are separated for revenue purposes. That does not change the fact that RCAF is listed as an entity of the UL of Louisiana Foundation with the same Tax ID. The do in fact share the same TAX ID Number on the state website. It's public information.
    That is correct

But that's not what I'm saying is incorrect and I've never tried to say that it is incorrect. You are saying that RCAF funds are institutional support. That is not correct. Institutional support is money provided by the university and the university only. Whether that be in grants in aid, fees, money allocated for spending by the university, etc.

Quote from a previous post of yours..." Let's start here with the fact that RCAF is not separated from the UL Lafayette Foundation, they both have the same tax ID number. So any transfer of funds from RCAF to athletics is still designated as institutional support."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    That is correct
    I get what GEAUX is saying, on the state website RCAF is listed as a Sub-Corporation and Entity of the University of Louisiana Lafayette Foundation. So yes they function as separate entities, but RCAF has the same TAX ID Number. So there is not complete separation and one of the reasons is the cost of managing the Foundations if they were completely separated. I was told keeping RCAF under the UL Foundation saves cost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast