_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 386

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

  1. #61
    CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,600

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We all hope that. Someone said they are not going this year because of the product. I described a better product. I wonder if people will go see a product like that. Jay says no, others say yes, while I say you need to do that two years in a row and people will go in Year 2.
    Like Football?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Like Football?
    Football shot itself in the foot with the Coastal loss at home in 18 and then got smoked by a Tulane in the bowl. Let's hope the positive momentum from 19 leads to better crowds in 20.
    I have my eye on week 2. Wyoming at home. Meanwhile, LSu plays Texas at home on the same day. That game will tell us a lot about our fan base.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,038

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    For every article y'all are posting there are articles saying otherwise. I bet we are at the top or near it in "basketball attendance" this year. There are several ways to skew the numbers in attendance. There are articles from the commissioner discussing decline in revenue. The political BS, the super teams, the one and dones, aau, lack of mid majors getting in are hurting the sport. Also particularly in the south the growth of baseball and softball has an impact. All of those things are driving fans away
    What I just posted to you is FACT. The decline they are speaking of is the anticipated revenue they would have had prior to the China debacle and the Houston GM. They are estimated a $3 million dollar loss in projected profits due to that deal but the fact is the Salary Cap is going up. I mean, we aren't pulling it out of air. You can go look it up yourself.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,038

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We all hope that. Someone said they are not going this year because of the product. I described a better product. I wonder if people will go see a product like that. Jay says no, others say yes, while I say you need to do that two years in a row and people will go in Year 2.
    An energized fan base would go to see that product. However, we all know what it will take to do that and its not happening soon.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,038

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    However, if you want to talk about a sport that may be dying, look to MLB.....

    https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07...cord-revenues/


  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    13,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    What I just posted to you is FACT. The decline they are speaking of is the anticipated revenue they would have had prior to the China debacle and the Houston GM. They are estimated a $3 million dollar loss in projected profits due to that deal but the fact is the Salary Cap is going up. I mean, we aren't pulling it out of air. You can go look it up yourself.
    And what I posted is FACT, people are turning away from basketball..I played my entire life, had season tickets for almost 15 years with a group of about 20 that sat together..you know how many still go? Zero..not one, and it isn't just a marlin deal. The product sucks, they flop, they jack up shots, majority don't play defense and now it's becoming WWE with all the drama. I did look it up myself, I'm not pulling it out of thin air. it's fine nobody is chastising you for continuing to like basketball. The salary cap isn't going up as much as expected. Literally just search nba ratings and the entire first 3 pages of results is how much the ratings are down. It's not the same game at all levels. The China debacle, is in fact a debacle that cost them viewers and fans. It's only going to get worse IMO and the super teams that can just buy championships will ruin it for the future. Is it really even a salary cap if you just pay a penalty if you go over? Further cementing the hierarchy of teams with all the money in big markets? They turned to making their jerseys a billboard to make money by selling ad Space. Little Rock would have not gotten in..a 30-5 team that won a first round game would have been left out without winning the tourney. They say well you didn't play anyone, but then the "anyone" won't schedule you. And don't even get me started on the ___ sho trash that is AAU

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    13,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    However, if you want to talk about a sport that may be dying, look to MLB.....

    https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07...cord-revenues/
    Handing out $300 plus million guaranteed contracts will come back to haunt you eventually. That's also just the business side, the sport itself, the actual game is growing. However, if baseball isn't smart, daddy/travel ball will do to it what aau is doing to basketball and when all the colleges get in the financial race in baseball the same things will happen.

  8. #68
    CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,600

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Lots of whining here. How about a little cheese?


  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    13,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Lots of whining here. How about a little cheese?
    There are like 8 people who post about basketball, people don't even care enough to complain about it, that's saying a lot on this board. More people care about parking during the car show

  10. #70
    CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,600

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    There are like 8 people who post about basketball, people don't even care enough to complain about it, that's saying a lot on this board. More people care about parking during the car show
    There are about 8 people who post.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    13,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    There are about 8 people who post.
    Exactly..it's basketball season

  12. #72
    CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,600

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Exactly..it's basketball season
    Any season.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    13,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Any season.
    We'll see...give it 10 days..

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Freetown
    Posts
    7,942

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    However, if you want to talk about a sport that may be dying, look to MLB.....

    https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07...cord-revenues/
    MLB ____ty Tv contracts is what is holding the leauge back ...I am able to watch division 3 Eastern European but not the Astros .

    It's the main reason baseball has no mega stars on par with the NBA or NFL

  15. #75
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    MLB ____ty Tv contracts is what is holding the leauge back ...I am able to watch division 3 Eastern European but not the Astros .

    It's the main reason baseball has no mega stars on par with the NBA or NFL
    If they get rid of the blackout restrictions on MLB.tv they could make a killing.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,038

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    And what I posted is FACT, people are turning away from basketball..I played my entire life, had season tickets for almost 15 years with a group of about 20 that sat together..you know how many still go? Zero..not one, and it isn't just a marlin deal. The product sucks, they flop, they jack up shots, majority don't play defense and now it's becoming WWE with all the drama. I did look it up myself, I'm not pulling it out of thin air. it's fine nobody is chastising you for continuing to like basketball. The salary cap isn't going up as much as expected. Literally just search nba ratings and the entire first 3 pages of results is how much the ratings are down. It's not the same game at all levels. The China debacle, is in fact a debacle that cost them viewers and fans. It's only going to get worse IMO and the super teams that can just buy championships will ruin it for the future. Is it really even a salary cap if you just pay a penalty if you go over? Further cementing the hierarchy of teams with all the money in big markets? They turned to making their jerseys a billboard to make money by selling ad Space. Little Rock would have not gotten in..a 30-5 team that won a first round game would have been left out without winning the tourney. They say well you didn't play anyone, but then the "anyone" won't schedule you. And don't even get me started on the ___ sho trash that is AAU
    What you literally posted is not fact. Since you started to address NBA, I'm assuming this is what you are using as your argument. Attendance numbers are up, revenue continues to climb and salaries are increasing. Basketball is probably the biggest global game outside of soccer.

    If you are discussing UL basketball there are numbers to suggest you would be correct. If you are discussing college basketball, the sport is the biggest attraction outside of the football national title game.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,038

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    There are like 8 people who post about basketball, people don't even care enough to complain about it, that's saying a lot on this board. More people care about parking during the car show
    You are talking about UL basketball. You also addressed the game in general. I think that is specific to the local fans. For some reason, a lot of our local folks tend to be hard up on baseball and football. However, if we were to make a coaching change, I think the interest and enthusiasm would come back, especially with a good season thereafter.

  18. #78
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,726

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You are talking about UL basketball. You also addressed the game in general. I think that is specific to the local fans. For some reason, a lot of our local folks tend to be hard up on baseball and football. However, if we were to make a coaching change, I think the interest and enthusiasm would come back, especially with a good season thereafter.
    I am not sure just a coaching change would increase basketball interest. I am highly confident a good season thereafter would do so however. Would interest return with a good season from the current leaders is debatable. I do think it would in the second year of success. Whenever the time comes for that change to occur, it is critical we make the right choice. If Dr. Maggard is still at the helm at that time, his track record indicates he likely will.

  19. #79
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17,701

    Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

    Well thank God we don't have a survival bonus. I heard one of the Big 10 Michigan's just paid their coach a 4.? million dollar bonus for not getting canned, or leaving. The guy, soon after, took a reduced roll. Would be great if Big Fish decides to exit.


  20. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    13,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    What you literally posted is not fact. Since you started to address NBA, I'm assuming this is what you are using as your argument. Attendance numbers are up, revenue continues to climb and salaries are increasing. Basketball is probably the biggest global game outside of soccer.

    If you are discussing UL basketball there are numbers to suggest you would be correct. If you are discussing college basketball, the sport is the biggest attraction outside of the football national title game.
    You going to China to watch basketball? NBA will lose fans over them allowing politics to be brought into their sport. Their biggest star is now a SJW with his own show. Take away tournament brackets and half the "fans" wouldn't give a ___ about March madness. College is continuing to push out mid majors more and more which is what people love about March madness...and why the first round is the biggest draw, underdogs and brackets . Basketball and soccer are huge globally bc the poorest of people in the poorest countries can play it. You just need a ball. Fans are turning away from today's game, they are attracting wrestling fans who like the drama. The game sucks, load management, stars resting, no defense, jacking up 3 threes...half the league tanking after the all star break.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •