_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UL partners with Saints and Pelicans

Default Re: UL partners with Saints and Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    the questions should be if the connection was with the school in Baton Rouge would they say LSU A&M BR, because if one doesn't follow it then none should have to follow the law
    The legal requirement is that for academics the school be referred to as University of Louisiana at .... There is not such requirement for LSU. We can argue all day ling and into next week, and probably eill, as to if this is fair, but it is the law as currently constituted.

LaCajunsFan is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Agree that this is good news. I think "good" is not strong enough of an adjective for how positive a development this is. Words like outstanding or excellent are appropriate here.
    Plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Don't want to put words in your mouth.

Are you saying this is bad for athletics and, as such, we shouldn't have done it?
    Good to see you posting again, Sir. Hope all is well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    The legal requirement is that for academics the school be referred to as University of Louisiana at .... There is not such requirement for LSU. We can argue all day ling and into next week, and probably eill, as to if this is fair, but it is the law as currently constituted.
    If UL stands for University of Louisiana, any usage of "UL Lafayette" is just as illegal.

Academics could go by "Louisiana" if it wanted, and be 100% legal as the law stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If UL stands for University of Louisiana, any usage of "UL Lafayette" is just as illegal.

Academics could go by "Louisiana" if it wanted, and be 100% legal as the law stands.
    I stand corrected. It was my understanding that the law stated that, when referring to academics, the city had to be included....

Good grief, do we really have to cry about everything that happens?

Be happy, this is a good thing.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Because it's an academic partnership, and the university name is University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette.

If this was an athletics related article, then yes, you should see "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns".

I swear it's as if we specialize in looking at the negative aspect of everything, or try to find a negative aspect when there isn't one.
    Let's be clear, there was zero, ZERO Louisiana. That's the problem with the official name, only the Lafayette is prominent. As I said, there'd never be a LSU A&M which only covers part of their official name academic or otherwise.

The Pelicans, and Saints are football, and athletic first and foremost. We absolutely could have been Lafayette in the opening and LOUISIANA from then on. Nobody is watching a Saints or Pelican game to decide their choice of college. Granted it's a grand opportunity to get a starting job in a professional sports franchise. So it's nice for those selected.

It's wrong minded to say we're just looking for things to criticize. This just jumps out and stinks.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm not gonna research and find it, but there is a legal requirement for them to use their legal name in everything official. LSU simply ignore that law, and nobody cares, and frankly I don't care except for the double standard.

Also as Turbine noted Louisiana is in the official name of UL. Not the abbreviation.

OK did they sign with LSU A&M BR?.....NO, Did they sign with UNO?...... NO. Did they sign with LA-TECH? ....... NO. Did they sign with any other University in the state? .......NO

The two premier sports franchises in the state sign a freaking EXCLUSIVE agreement with UL!!!!!!!! What is wrong with that? I really don't care what they call us.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Good to see you posting again, Sir. Hope all is well.
    Thanks, Mat!!!!

Been back at work for a month. Going through a round of physical therapy, but this is more for Lady Monkee who wanted to see me hooked up to a heart monitor while I'm working out. Chest surgeon said he hopes to never see me again , and I don't see cardiologist for another 5 months. From this perspective, I'm back to whatever normal I might have in my being. Hope to run the Festivale 5K in April.

Just waiting on timing now for my next cornea transpolant. Told Joe Dillon I want to be able to see his senior year with little frustration.

Its been and continues to be an adventure, and I may be a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster, but I think its all good.

Sorry for the ramble. Its just kind of therpeutic from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Thanks, Mat!!!!

Been back at work for a month. Going through a round of physical therapy, but this is more for Lady Monkee who wanted to see me hooked up to a heart monitor while I'm working out. Chest surgeon said he hopes to never see me again , and I don't see cardiologist for another 5 months. From this perspective, I'm back to whatever normal I might have in my being. Hope to run the Festivale 5K in April.

Just waiting on timing now for my next cornea transpolant. Told Joe Dillon I want to be able to see his senior year with little frustration.

Its been and continues to be an adventure, and I may be a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster, but I think its all good.

Sorry for the ramble. Its just kind of therpeutic from time to time.
    No trouble at all. I'm sure everyone is happy to read it.
    I think we are doing the Festivale run as well. If so, I'll be in touch. Maybe you can motivate me.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL partners with Saints and Pelicans

You can't not do this.

It had to be done.

It presents a great opportunity for students.

It doesn't help athletic branding at all Only sports fans will ever see this.

Doing it is a no brainer, but recognize where the benefits lay and where detriment creep arises.
    ...yet.

Have a little faith. Trust that T-Joe and Bryan will have this worked out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    ...yet.

Have a little faith. Trust that T-Joe and Bryan will have this worked out over time.
    Correct. This was a marketing move headed from the academic side of the house. This is all about increasing student enrollment and targeting students from the greater New Orleans area. Athletics will also benefit greatly from this effort. When was the last time that UL Athletics was able to ride on the coattails of an overall university agreement? This is good for everyone and has been in the works for a long time. There was some talk that it would be announced before the start of the recent Saint's season (and then Pels) but it took a while to get everything signed. Kudos to John Blohm on this effort. You will see UL advertisements/banners in the Superdome and Smoothie King Center during Saints and Pelicans games.

Blog Entries

I stand corrected. It was my understanding that the law stated that, when referring to academics, the city had to be included....
    Nope, nothing about academic references in the law.

One stipulation and one stipulation only. If the phrase "University of Louisiana" is used, UL etc., "AT" must be included.

There is no prohibition on nicknames such as Alabama, Nebraska, Louisiana for athletics or academics.

Nope, nothing about academic references in the law.

One stipulation and one stipulation only. If the phrase "University of Louisiana" is used, UL etc., "AT" must be included.

There is no prohibition on nicknames such as Alabama, Nebraska, Louisiana for athletics or academics.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2