_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 81 to 96 of 96

Thread: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    There's a reason that Marlin has never been poached. We should have learned that long ago and put him on notice he would never get an extension. We did the exact opposite and here we sit. He might even return to mediocrity next year and his same defenders will be telling us about how much better they are instead of how outstanding they are.
    Bingo. As a mid-major or G5, if another school is not coming after your coach within 5-7 year it's time to get another not give him an extension.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11,950

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    A season like 2018 can happen 2 of every 5 to 6 years. I firmly believe they would have won the tournament with a healthy Gant and Stove that season. Of course for that to happen the injury bug has to go away and competent players have to fill out the bottom of the roster. Maybe that never happens. Interesting discussion here but I think we all know that no change is happening this year. A season like this one next year and all bets are off. In fact a change is more likely than not at that point
    I guess my return question is what makes you think that things will all of a sudden change? We routinely do not have the personnel to perform like that team did and he has averaged roughly 11 SBC wins per season for a decade. I'm not sure where we are all of a sudden going to turn the light switch on for him and this program. It is what it is.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,514
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    The Big Fish made friends with the right donors in Acadiana. The type of donors who would rather be in the "in crowd" than have a team who was competitive enough to worth watching.

    Kudos to Marlin for milking that $500k a year Salary for 10 years but it came at the expense of the Louisiana basketball program which is Stone Cold DEAD!

    The big boy donors who still support Marlin and believe he is the right coach for UL are just scared that if a change is made they may find themselves on the outside looking in rather than feeling comfortable the way it is now.


  4. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Wasn't around for NO basketball and the first year back, eh?
    Yes I was...

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,004

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    The Big Fish made friends with the right donors in Acadiana. The type of donors who would rather be in the "in crowd" than have a team who was competitive enough to worth watching.

    Kudos to Marlin for milking that $500k a year Salary for 10 years but it came at the expense of the Louisiana basketball program which is Stone Cold DEAD!

    The big boy donors who still support Marlin and believe he is the right coach for UL are just scared that if a change is made they may find themselves on the outside looking in rather than feeling comfortable the way it is now.
    All very true. And he is an administrators dream. Players show up to class, make good grades, mostly stay out of trouble, and when they tell him to run off players, he does it. Savoie loves the guy. It will be an uphill battle for the fans.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    9,238
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    All very true. And he is an administrators dream. Players show up to class, make good grades, mostly stay out of trouble, and when they tell him to run off players, he does it. Savoie loves the guy. It will be an uphill battle for the fans.
    sometimes situations have to play out I guess.. Too many fluid moving parts to this puzzle.

  7. #87
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,560

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I guess my return question is what makes you think that things will all of a sudden change? We routinely do not have the personnel to perform like that team did and he has averaged roughly 11 SBC wins per season for a decade. I'm not sure where we are all of a sudden going to turn the light switch on for him and this program. It is what it is.
    I don't know that things will change immediately. You asked my opinion of the ceiling and that was my answer. When they recruit better overall and get rid of the injury bug is when things will improve. On another note, someone mentioned that injuries don't cause you to miss easy layups. In a sense that is true. However the fact that the guy trying that shot is not as good as the one who is hurt causes that to happen more frequently. That is why I said overall recruiting. We have some good players on the team but not nearly enough of them.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11,950

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't know that things will change immediately. You asked my opinion of the ceiling and that was my answer. When they recruit better overall and get rid of the injury bug is when things will improve. On another note, someone mentioned that injuries don't cause you to miss easy layups. In a sense that is true. However the fact that the guy trying that shot is not as good as the one who is hurt causes that to happen more frequently. That is why I said overall recruiting. We have some good players on the team but not nearly enough of them.
    All we have to go by is history. That history is not that impressive and I'm not buying season tickets with the hope that we will all of a sudden recruit and coach better. It's obvious over a long sample size we caught lightning in a bottle a couple of years ago rather than turning the corner and taking the next step.

  9. #89
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,560

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    All we have to go by is history. That history is not that impressive and I'm not buying season tickets with the hope that we will all of a sudden recruit and coach better. It's obvious over a long sample size we caught lightning in a bottle a couple of years ago rather than turning the corner and taking the next step.
    Understood. Everyone makes decisions that are personal in regards to time and money. In today's world, where every game can be watched online or ESPN +, it is not surprising fewer and fewer folks attend events live. Especially so, when teams are struggling. In our case, you can always attend individual games with no hassle if you ever desire to.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't know that things will change immediately. You asked my opinion of the ceiling and that was my answer. When they recruit better overall and get rid of the injury bug is when things will improve. On another note, someone mentioned that injuries don't cause you to miss easy layups. In a sense that is true. However the fact that the guy trying that shot is not as good as the one who is hurt causes that to happen more frequently. That is why I said overall recruiting. We have some good players on the team but not nearly enough of them.
    But that's the thing. The guy trying that shot at this level shouldn't be air balling layups. They're D1 players. And I will admit that this is where this coaching staff have missed the mark: talent evaluation. Over the past two years, we haven't recruited depth. Two scholarship guys are sitting the bench for Mason Aucoin. That tells me all I need to know on how we have missed the boat when it comes to finding talented depth.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    But that's the thing. The guy trying that shot at this level shouldn't be air balling layups. They're D1 players. And I will admit that this is where this coaching staff have missed the mark: talent evaluation. Over the past two years, we haven't recruited depth. Two scholarship guys are sitting the bench for Mason Aucoin. That tells me all I need to know on how we have missed the boat when it comes to finding talented depth.
    I definitely get the point your making but I do think some of the reason for Aucoin and Jaylon Williams playing over Spenkuch and Lafayette is position related. Those two aren't perimeter players while the 6 scholarship guys currently injured are.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I definitely get the point your making but I do think some of the reason for Aucoin and Jaylon Williams playing over Spenkuch and Lafayette is position related. Those two aren't perimeter players while the 6 scholarship guys currently injured are.
    I definitely get that. My point is that fact that those two are barely seeing the court even as subs, and they're scholarships guys.

  13. #93
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,560

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I definitely get that. My point is that fact that those two are barely seeing the court even as subs, and they're scholarships guys.
    That is definitely an issue. I believe even people within the program would admit it is a concern. Not too criticize those guys too much as they simply don't have enough talent to help more. In an ideal world Spenkuch could have been redshirted and possibly developed with time.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is definitely an issue. I believe even people within the program would admit it is a concern. Not too criticize those guys too much as they simply don't have enough talent to help more. In an ideal world Spenkuch could have been redshirted and possibly developed with time.
    I agree with Spenkuch probably being scheduled to redshirt. I also think that at the mid major level you will always be chasing quality big men. I have no problem using one of the last scholarships available to take a chance on a 6'11" guy who can knock down shots like Lafayette. Making him a project and trying to develop him into someone who can bang around down low well enough to eat up some minutes when he is needed. It's been a year and a half and I haven't seen a lot of development there yet.

    Don't get me wrong I do believe recruiting can be improved, but having a project or two at the end of the bench, especially a big man, is almost a given. You just don't normally expect to have 6 ahead of them on the depth chart out at 1 time.

  15. #95
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17,520

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I agree with Spenkuch probably being scheduled to redshirt. I also think that at the mid major level you will always be chasing quality big men. I have no problem using one of the last scholarships available to take a chance on a 6'11" guy who can knock down shots like Lafayette. Making him a project and trying to develop him into someone who can bang around down low well enough to eat up some minutes when he is needed. It's been a year and a half and I haven't seen a lot of development there yet.

    Don't get me wrong I do believe recruiting can be improved, but having a project or two at the end of the bench, especially a big man, is almost a given. You just don't normally expect to have 6 ahead of them on the depth chart out at 1 time.
    I had a PE coach sur name Nelson. He may have had a PHD 'twas decades back. The thing I recall clearly as if this morning was his reaction time device. It was a tool to record your reaction time. It was based on gravity.

    The thing I recall was him telling us about how he was able to determine the starters and first line backups based exclusively on reaction time. He placed 7/10 in order based on that alone.

    When I watch our bigs I try to gauge them on my eyeball evaluation. Not scientific measurement but seems right. If their reaction is quick they start and generally do well.

    Marlin and company cannot increase reaction time, but it's easily determined. Anybody who is slow should be somebody else's gamble.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is definitely an issue. I believe even people within the program would admit it is a concern. Not too criticize those guys too much as they simply don't have enough talent to help more. In an ideal world Spenkuch could have been redshirted and possibly developed with time.
    Ahhh like Gladney and the big guy from California, and Plaisance, and Lafayette. Get the trend.....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •