_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Plane crash in Lafayette

Default Re: Plane crash in Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Also I have been in many of commercial jets and prop planes. I never like the prop planes. What the pro and cons of each plane?
    Generally speaking, jets fly faster, higher, and are more efficient over longer routes, and props are the reverse. Generally speaking, propeller airplanes are as safe as jet airplanes. Why you tend to hear more about problems with "puddle jumpers" is because most jets are flown under airline and charter rules, which are highly regulated environments that are better at managing risk. Most people tend to associate larger jet airplanes with better, safer operations, and a lot of that is marketing. However, there are several prop operators in the country that operate every day with excellent safety records.

This accident, as Mr. Browne indicated, operated under Part 91 operations, or not "for-hire." It was not a regulated as airline or charter ops. Whether or not that played a role will be examined by the NTSB.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Generally speaking, jets fly faster, higher, and are more efficient over longer routes, and props are the reverse. Generally speaking, propeller airplanes are as safe as jet airplanes. Why you tend to hear more about problems with "puddle jumpers" is because most jets are flown under airline and charter rules, which are highly regulated environments that are better at managing risk. Most people tend to associate larger jet airplanes with better, safer operations, and a lot of that is marketing. However, there are several prop operators in the country that operate every day with excellent safety records.

This accident, as Mr. Browne indicated, operated under Part 91 operations, or not "for-hire." It was not a regulated as airline or charter ops. Whether or not that played a role will be examined by the NTSB.
    From a consumer standpoint, the regional jets replacing (most) of the turbo-prop planes was the best innovation ever for making short hops more comfortable. I have never considered either of them more safe than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    From a consumer standpoint, the regional jets replacing (most) of the turbo-prop planes was the best innovation ever for making short hops more comfortable. I have never considered either of them more safe than the other.
    Prop planes just seem not as safe to me. I never have a good feeling when I am in one.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Prop planes just seem not as safe to me. I never have a good feeling when I am in one.
    I'd expect the prop engine to be completely safe as the jet engine.

No difference in safety technology wise. Some would say a turbo prop actually might be safer than a straight up jet engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    No difference in safety technology wise. Some would say a turbo prop actually might be safer than a straight up jet engine.
    I am just thinking that if a jet is flying 500 plus mph and the motors stop you could probably coast for 12 to 15 mins, or at least that is what I have been told. If a prop plane is cruising at 150 and the motors stop that plane is coming down fast. Seems there would be more time in a jet to review everything during a emergency. Maybe AirBill could shed some light on this.

I am just thinking that if a jet is flying 500 plus mph and the motors stop you could probably coast for 12 to 15 mins, or at least that is what I have been told. If a prop plane is cruising at 150 and the motors stop that plane is coming down fast. Seems there would be more time in a jet to review everything during a emergency. Maybe AirBill could shed some light on this.
    While this may be true (coasting) that is an extreme rarity. You have to have altitude in order to do that no matter what the power train is. Engine failures on either power train during takeoff aren't going to leave you with many options. And by the way a modern "turboprop" is in fact a jet engine. AirBill did a good job in a previous post explaining the advantages/disadvantages of both aircraft.

Statistically speaking there is no safety advantage of a straight jet over a turboprop. Many other factors are more important than the power frames.

By the way the longest unpowered flight on a commercial airliner was about 75 miles but the failure happened at an altitude of over 40,000 feet. The captain just happened to be a glider pilot as well and knew exactly what he need to do to keep the aircraft on a glide slope to make a landing.

I'm not a pilot but I did actually go through a flight school ground course way back in high school and my father in law was an Air Force pilot and I've always been an aviation enthusiast; just one with a rather light wallet so it never got beyond ground school for me.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Plane crash in Lafayette

Very sad still almost a week later.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...-vs-turboprops
    Lots of varibles that factor into the safety of each.

This was on the Daily Iberian website today.
    "NTSB Checkpoint Timeline"
    https://www.iberianet.com/news/ntsb-...c35982950.html

Lone survivor of the crash is out of the hospital

Plane crash survivor released from hospital - https://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-...-from-hospital

I guess the NTSB has interviewed him.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post

Plane crash survivor released from hospital - https://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-...-from-hospital

Good news for sure. Many prayers answered.

Blog Entries

Good news indeed, I was wondering about him just last week.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post

Very good news! It will be interesting to hear what his story is of the crash. Wonder how much he remembers, if anything.

Blog Entries

I forgot that this was virtually a 2020 event. The aftermath certainly was.

CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I forgot that this was virtually a 2020 event. The aftermath certainly was.
    The aftermath is just starting. I read last week where the reporters family filed suit.

Wade Berzas was featured last night in the Faith and Family series Our Lady Of Lourdes has on Facebook.

moorecajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Colony View Post
    Wade Berzas was featured last night in the Faith and Family series Our Lady Of Lourdes has on Facebook.
    It was a good video as all three were.

I also enjoyed all three testimonies. And since the eateries linked to each program have been feeding our buds at Lourdes, enjoyed trying their menu during the talk. Might be something UL could try. Jay could interview one of our coaches with a restaurant acting as sponsor in name only. We get a meal from them as thank you to them for supporting UL. Eat while watching/listening to update. It was neat and restaurants appreciated us telling them thank you for supporting Lourdes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5