_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can the Sun Belt Conference get more College Football Playoff respect?

Sunbelt How can the Sun Belt Conference get more College Football Playoff respect?

UL coach Billy Napier was asked if he thought it was time for people to start taking the top teams in the Sun Belt Conference more seriously.

RaginDave is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: How can the Sun Belt Conference get more College Football Playoff respect?

I didn't read the article but my answer would be continue to win games

Default Re: How can the Sun Belt Conference get more College Football Playoff respect?

With a commissioner that lobbies for the league... Oh wait..

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I didn't read the article but my answer would be continue to win games
    You think Buckley would get his facts straight.
    "App State beat two ACC teams, and that didn't cut it."

No APP didn't. They beat South Carolina a SEC team and North Carolina, an ACC team.
    Baffles my mind that a sport reporter(he does this for a living) gets something this easy wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post

No APP didn't. They beat South Carolina a SEC team and North Carolina, an ACC team.
    Baffles my mind that a sport reporter(he does this for a living) gets something this easy wrong.
    I'm sure all 3 of his readers are very upset

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post

Southern Carolina? Sigh...more quality writing and editing...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Southern Carolina? Sigh...more quality writing and editing...
    Unacceptable. I'd be fired from my job if I made simple lazy mistakes like that continuously.

Look how Gannet ran the DA in the ground, seems like on purpose. Not even trying to make a quality product. An editor should be looking at Buckley's work, but there's probably no one around. Even their online site is not user friendly to a reader either. It's a shame and a failure. Big conglomerate media does more harm than good for the USA.

If G5 was guaranteed a spot in the playoff, every single G5 program would get better and more competitive. There would be a major arms race to the top of G5 to be in position to get that spot. Would be great for cfb if it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseone33 View Post
    If G5 was guaranteed a spot in the playoff, every single G5 program would get better and more competitive. There would be a major arms race to the top of G5 to be in position to get that spot. Would be great for cfb if it happened.
    This. And they're too self center to figure out that this would be the best case scenario for the OVERALL product. CFB would be infinitely better. More profitable, less regional and WAY more popular. If CFB would be run properly, it would overtake the NFL for #1 sport in this country.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

They will move to an 8 team playoff. 5 P5 champions, 2 at large bigs and the highest G5 ranked team.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm guessing one way for the G5 and SBC teams to get more respect is to have a competent newspaper reporter cover them.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    This. And they're too self center to figure out that this would be the best case scenario for the OVERALL product. CFB would be infinitely better. More profitable, less regional and WAY more popular. If CFB would be run properly, it would overtake the NFL for #1 sport in this country.
    Cfb is the best overall product in sports and it's also the shortest season of all the major sports. Only makes sense to expand the playoff and include a G5 to bring in more fans. I guarantee you the attendance at Cajun Field would double if UL is contending for that top spot. No logical reason to limit the playoff to the top 20 or so teams.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseone33 View Post
    Exactly. It's hilarious seeing on Twitter how close minded some P5 fans are. "But if a G5 played in the SEC, they would get beat week in and week out."

Um, when you get to a better conference, your recruiting gets better; and your budget will grow if fans get on board. Just ask Utah, Louisville, and TCU. Do people really think that if UCF joined the SEC, they would somehow recruit worse than Ole Miss? Why would a 18 year old kid choose to spend 4 years in Oxford over Orlando? Again, close minded.

There are WAY more G5 programs than P5. If we would all start hammering away at this fact, incessantly, someone would eventually have to listen. Problem is getting the turncoat alumni of G5 programs to actually be loyal to their universities and stop bandwagon jumping.

Still, we should be loud about this dumbass bowl system and CFB playoff that's ruining CFB as a whole until someone takes note.

There are WAY more G5 programs than P5. If we would all start hammering away at this fact, incessantly, someone would eventually have to listen. Problem is getting the turncoat alumni of G5 programs to actually be loyal to their universities and stop bandwagon jumping.

Still, we should be loud about this dumbass bowl system and CFB playoff that's ruining CFB as a whole until someone takes note.
    I'm feeling a RCA episode on this exact topic.......

actually, there are 65 of each. 14 in the sec, 14 in the acc, 14 in the big ten, 12 in the pac 12, and 10 in the big 12 and norte dame as an independent.

there are 130 fbs teams. you are making good points but dont exaggerate easy info to disprove.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    actually, there are 65 of each. 14 in the sec, 14 in the acc, 14 in the big ten, 12 in the pac 12, and 10 in the big 12 and norte dame as an independent.

there are 130 fbs teams. you are making good points but dont exaggerate easy info to disprove.

Maybe he actually was including the FCS as they also supplement wins for P5. The mid and weaker P5 don't want to lose those games. That's how they get bowl eligible.

Regardless the G5 actually would only be granted one spot and P5 seven with the eight team version. A twelve team version would allow the elite four a pass. The next eight have one more game and every conference gets their champions.

That would keep G 5 interest to the tenth game in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post

Ok, maybe I should have been more specific. There are about 30 teams out of 130 that have an actual chance to be in the CFP playoff. Brand, conference, history and schedule (or who will or won't schedule you) all play into that. If the other 100 programs around the country start lobbying for conference champions to get CFB slots, we can turn the tide.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ok, maybe I should have been more specific. There are about 30 teams out of 130 that have an actual chance to be in the CFP playoff. Brand, conference, history and schedule (or who will or won't schedule you) all play into that. If the other 100 programs around the country start lobbying for conference champions to get CFB slots, we can turn the tide.
    Therein lies the problem. As long as a G5 has no shot at a NC, mid to low level P5 schools have a recruiting advantage over G5 schools. As soon as the door opens for G5, that advantage goes away. If every conference champion is in, who has a better shot at a NC, Purdue or Toledo? Vanderbilt or Louisiana? Wake Forest or Cincinnatti? Kansas State or Tulsa?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast