_ _ _ _

Thread: Lighting the Cajundome

LaCajunsFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Lighting the Cajundome

I think we've discussed this before, but it's something that continues to bug me. I know it'd be an expensive endeavor, but one that would be well worth it.

The Cajundome should be lit up.....maybe not as fancy as the superdome, but something along those lines: some up-lighting alternating along the walls, and, more importantly, lighting up the dome itself. For such an iconic building for both the school and city/region, it all but disappears at night. We should instead make it a real symbol for both.....think of how nice a picture it'd be on tv, etc., much as the superdome is.

This bugs me each home game, when we sit there and have a great view of the dome.....and how fantastic it would look if it was lit up.

Default Re: Lighting the Cajundome

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I think we've discussed this before, but it's something that continues to bug me. I know it'd be an expensive endeavor, but one that would be well worth it.

The Cajundome should be lit up.....maybe not as fancy as the superdome, but something along those lines: some up-lighting alternating along the walls, and, more importantly, lighting up the dome itself. For such an iconic building for both the school and city/region, it all but disappears at night. We should instead make it a real symbol for both.....think of how nice a picture it'd be on tv, etc., much as the superdome is.

This bugs me each home game, when we sit there and have a great view of the dome.....and how fantastic it would look if it was lit up.
    The city will have to pay for that doubt they could find funds for that project

talking about lighting Cajun field needs something else it looks hideous on TV and for replays

LaCajunsFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    The city will have to pay for that doubt they could find funds for that project

talking about lighting Cajun field needs something else it looks hideous on TV and for replays
    I don't think and wouldn't expect the city to do it.....it would have to come from the private sector.

And I just found out data about the cost for the superdome: $1.6 million for a first rate, state of the art system in 2011. Also, the costs to light it all year is minimal, about the same to run a small house all year. Plus, the LED bulbs last decades.

Seems to me we could something on a smaller scale (especially given how much smaller the Cajundome is) done here.

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/a...636a2ba33.html

Lighting the exterior of the dome would be nice, but the greater need is a an interior lighting redesign with a focus on making the arena better, lighting-wise, for basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Lighting the exterior of the dome would be nice, but the greater need is a an interior lighting redesign with a focus on making the arena better, lighting-wise, for basketball.
    I thought that was taken care of during the last renovation?

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    I thought that was taken care of during the last renovation?
    It was, and they did a fantastic job. Now we should do the same for the exterior.

It was, and they did a fantastic job. Now we should do the same for the exterior.
    That's what I thought. The interior lighting is very legit

I agree 💯 about the exterior. Would look great with the lite center and CGI glowing lights at night

Not really. Look at lighting for NBA arenas as an example of what we should strive for. They basically replaced the lighting they had with LED. I said redesign in my first post. 50% of my job is lighting design, I can speak better than anyone on this board that the design for the dome is not great.

Not really. Look at lighting for NBA arenas as an example of what we should strive for. They basically replaced the lighting they had with LED. I said redesign in my first post. 50% of my job is lighting design, I can speak better than anyone on this board that the design for the dome is not great.
    What do you suggest then? Cause the lighting in the cajundome sure does look like an NBA arena after the renovations.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, then. What I like about the new lighting: how they dim the arena and highlight the court...before it was just all washed out. I also like all the special effects...the flashing strobe lights, etc. I like how they make the whole arena black, before the game, then the red lights and smoke, etc. I even like the small details like the red lights on the stairs. All of this is light years from what we had, or what I've seen at other ncaa arenas.

What can be done to improve what we have?

And I'd like to hear your thoughts on the exterior lighting....costs, schemes, etc.

I am about to head into the superdome for the Saints game, but I will respond to you guys once I get a moment.

I am about to head into the superdome for the Saints game, but I will respond to you guys once I get a moment.
    Cool, thanks. Nice to hear from a professional.

Arguing with fellow 1987 grad who has not returned in 15 years to campus (since 2004).
    I said approx $500+million in improvements during that time.
    Cannot find it here or online.
    Any help?

Blog Entries

The campus master plan seems to be getting complete. I am curious what our next big campus improve will be?

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Arguing with fellow 1987 grad who has not returned in 15 years to campus (since 2004).
    Any help?
    I had a list somewhere, let me try to dig it up. You are correct though, and we need to make sure the word is out.....don't give up that fight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Any help?
    Here is the list I had. I updated it with the newest buildings (Bittle Hall, The Heritae apartment complex, etc.), but still have a few I can't find. Figured I'd list them so you can at least let them know all that has been done.
    And this is only for the main camous, and does not include all of the athletic complex upgrades:

Moody (+FG mouton reno): $10 million
    Oliver Hall: $15 million
    Girard Hall reno: $3.2 million
    Student Union: $52 million
    Legacy apartments: ???
    Baker/Huger (Taft St), Corona/Bonin (Rose Garden) Dorms: $100 million
    Heritage Dorms: $50 million for phase 1, another $50 million for phase 2.
    Burke-Hawthorne addition: $12 million
    Fletcher Hall reno: $12 million
    Taft St Parking Tower: ???
    Olivier Parking Tower: $13 million. 852 parking spaces, 10K comm space
    Lewis St Parking Tower: $25 million, 1150 parking spaces
    St Mary St bike lanes: $70K
    Bike Path (from E. Landry to Johnston St): ???
    Quad/Walk of Honor:
    Bittle Hall: $500K
    Demo Maintenance buildings/replace with new parking lots: ???

Not to mention: power washed all buildings and adding new signs on each of them, new (and cool) bike stands throughout campus, added/improved lanscaping, new "Welcome Wall," demo of the 'eyesore' buildings, built new green space in area...including new pier into Cypress Lake, etc.

I'm sure I am missing a few, so please feel free to add I left off.

The Cajundome director had to resign last year so he could balance the budget. I think there is zero chance we spend a single dime on something like exterior lighting that doesn't generate revenue.

Would look cool though.