_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will Sun Belt ever pursue a regional approach?

Default Re: Will Sun Belt ever pursue a regional approach?

If the AAC ever adds a Sun Belt Conference team, it will be App St.

I'd love to see UL in a conference that includes Rice, USM, USA, and La Tech (all within a 4 hour drive), UAB, Troy, UNT, and UTSA (all within a 6 hour drive), and Ark St and MT (both within a 10 hour drive). Some regional rivalries would develop and that is something that is sorely missing at UL.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post

I'd love to see UL in a conference that includes Rice, USM, USA, and La Tech (all within a 4 hour drive), UAB, Troy, UNT, and UTSA (all within a 6 hour drive), and Ark St and MT (both within a 10 hour drive). Some regional rivalries would develop and that is something that is sorely missing at UL.
    If the AAC adds anyone from the SBC, it will be someone who is Carnegie R1. That ain't us (yet), but it sure as hell ain't App.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    If the AAC adds anyone from the SBC, it will be someone who is Carnegie R1. That ain't us (yet), but it sure as hell ain't App.
    You are correct they will not add a regional univ that's extremely difficult to get to

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    You are correct they will not add a regional univ that's extremely difficult to get to
    I think App ends up in a reconfigured coastal conference in the next decade.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Boise went undefeated and beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl and still had to wait years to get into the MWC because their academics were hot garbage.

I think that the next move will be when tv contracts come around again and you will see skimming off of the top of Sun Belt and Conference USA. When I speak to level headed individuals from other schools this seems to be their thoughts also. Where the bottom portion of these two divisions fall is anyone's guess

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post

This would make for a fantastic conference & RE-establish regional rivalries! Quite frankly, half of CUSA (East) sparks zero fan interest. Marshall is one thing but I have no desire to ever watch Tech play the F_U's again!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    This would make for a fantastic conference & RE-establish regional rivalries! Quite frankly, half of CUSA (East) sparks zero fan interest. Marshall is one thing but I have no desire to ever watch Tech play the F_U's again!
    With that said, wouldn't it be great if Tech would just agree to play UL every year as a Home/Home until that time arrives? I can't understand why LA Tech thinks playing UL would not be a better game and attract more interest than some of the games currently on both of our schedules. I can't believe Tech didn't get more satisfaction out of kicking our azzes the last few times we have played than by playing Grambling, UMass or a number of other past opponents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    CUSA did the Sun Belt a massively Yuge favor taking the F_U's. UTSA too.

AAC expansion is done by School Presidents not ADs......any adds will be Carnegie R1. That is a certainty. 2021 is a big year for UL....the next R1 window won't be possible until 2031.

Unless there is trickle down I think the most likely shift is CUSA East plus maybe UAB and maybe USM splitting the sheets with the others and picking off some Sun Belt East schools.

They seem mostly united and seem far more put off by having to go to Texas than the Texas schools about traveling East

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2