_ _ _ _

Thread: Will Sun Belt ever pursue a regional approach?

1. Default Will Sun Belt ever pursue a regional approach?

For UL, the Sun Belt Conference is home.

At least, for now._There is no question about that._But how long it will continue to be, and what the league may look like down the road, is another matter altogether.

Default Re: Will Sun Belt ever pursue a regional approach?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    For UL, the Sun Belt Conference is home.

At least, for now._There is no question about that._But how long it will continue to be, and what the league may look like down the road, is another matter altogether.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We don't need to completely realign. We just need to alternate OOC schedule with LaTurd, Tulane, Rice/Houston and USM on a three year rotation.

For example:
    @Rice/Houston
    Tulane

@LaTurd
    USM

@Tulane
    Rice/Houston

LaTurd
    @USM

Or something similar. We don't need to be in the same league, just get regional rivals on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    We don't need to completely realign. We just need to alternate OOC schedule with LaTurd, Tulane, Rice/Houston and USM on a three year rotation.

For example:
    @Rice/Houston
    Tulane

@LaTurd
    USM

@Tulane
    Rice/Houston

LaTurd
    @USM

Or something similar. We don't need to be in the same league, just get regional rivals on the schedule.
    Good idea. Probably only way it happens.

For example:
    @Rice/Houston
    Tulane

@LaTurd
    USM

@Tulane
    Rice/Houston

LaTurd
    @USM

I would prefer being in the same league and get rid of schools like Coastal Carolina, ULM, GA State and GA Southern. Conference games in other sports would be stronger as well.

If the AAC won't participate in a realignment, go with something like this:

South
    UTSA, Texas State, Rice, Louisiana, S. Miss, USA, Troy

North
    Ark State, LA Tech, N. Texas, MTSU, WKU, Marshall, App State

Strong in all sports, regional rivalries in each division, better attendance with drivable games in each division.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I would prefer being in the same league and get rid of schools like Coastal Carolina, ULM, GA State and GA Southern. Conference games in other sports would be stronger as well.

South

North

Strong in all sports, regional rivalries in each division, better attendance with drivable games in each division.
    That's all a pipe dream. The only way regional conferences happen is if the P5 breaks away and the G5 becomes what FCS is currently.

Trust me it's not the elite teams pushing for this either. COA has leveled the playing field between upper tier G5 programs and mid to lower tier P5 programs.

The best hope is regional scheduling alliances for OOC games that fosters rivalries. That doesn't mean yearly H&H games, but alternating games even or odd years with programs in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post

South

North

Makes too much sense. That's why it won't happen.

CajunT is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

That's all a pipe dream. The only way regional conferences happen is if the P5 breaks away and the G5 becomes what FCS is currently.

It's closer to reality than you know. That is exactly what the P5 has been leveraging itself for, even if they do it through scheduling.

Trust me it's not the elite teams pushing for this either. COA has leveled the playing field between upper tier G5 programs and mid to lower tier P5 programs.

It's absolutely the top power programs in the FBS conferences pushing it. It's about revenue sharing and helping float bad programs in their conferences with television conference money. The COA doesn't have anything to do with the time of day my friend. It helps even the playing field between us and the top of the G5 like Houston and a few others. It doesn't level the field against Alabama, Ohio State and other major P5 programs.

The best hope is regional scheduling alliances for OOC games that fosters rivalries. That doesn't mean yearly H&H games, but alternating games even or odd years with programs in the region.

Scheduling alliances is the best we can hope for outside of eventually landing in the AAC. Outside of that, we will more likely see a regional approach in conferences like the SBC, MAC and C-USA. It will be done for financial reasons at some point.

What's the incentive for AAC to add members from SBC/CUSA? Their TV revenue deal per team is superior, they risk diluting their monies by expanding or even replacing lost members. It's frustrating because UL could compete well in that conference in many sports. Tulane lucked out getting invited.
    IMO the next best thing that could happen for now is UL & Ark St join with CUSA West schools as a continuation of a rebranded CUSA. TV revenue payout probably about the same but fan interest will increase in multiple sports. Not holding my breath, but hope changes are coming.

I don't want any part of CUSA right now.... The sunbelt finally has leadership trying to move this conference forward.... if the sun belt schools stick together at 10 teams and push a scheduling where they can win against weaker P5 schools, that could be a recipe for success when being at the top of the mountain. Right now the sun belt is better than the MAC and CUSA so why would we want to change that.

AAC or bust

Sorry brothers, I have to agree with MAT. The sign of true progress shows in Top 25 rankings and scheduling. Right now the AAC has (3) ranked teams: Cincinnati, SMU and Memphis. We're it not for a 1 point loss to Pittsburgh (TD scores with :59 left), UCF would be 5-1 and still ranked, making four teams total. That should the goal. And it comes with benefits: basketball!! Memphis, Cincy, UCF, Temple and Houston all finished with 20+ wins. UCONN had an off season.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    AAC or bust
    Wouldn't the AAC be a dreadful travel schedule ?

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

No. We would have Houston, DFW, NOLA, Memphis and Tulsa in our division. That isnt bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Sorry brothers, I have to agree with MAT. The sign of true progress shows in Top 25 rankings and scheduling. Right now the AAC has (3) ranked teams: Cincinnati, SMU and Memphis. We're it not for a 1 point loss to Pittsburgh (TD scores with :59 left), UCF would be 5-1 and still ranked, making four teams total. That should the goal. And it comes with benefits: basketball!! Memphis, Cincy, UCF, Temple and Houston all finished with 20+ wins. UCONN had an off season.
    You say that as if we have a choice in the matter. Obviously AAC is the better conference and it's not even close. But last time I checked we didn't get an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    You say that as if we have a choice in the matter. Obviously AAC is the better conference and it's not even close. But last time I checked we didn't get an invite.
    That's actually not totally accurate. Well, technically you're right, they didn't extend the offer, only because the expansion to 16 was put on hold by University presidents. We were in the running, and we will be again when the conference two-step resumes.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    That's actually not totally accurate. Well, technically you're right, they didn't extend the offer, only because the expansion to 16 was put on hold by University presidents. We were in the running, and we will be again when the conference two-step resumes.
    If the AAC expands in the near future, I believe there is still one thing that would keep us out....our train wreck of a football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If the AAC expands in the near future, I believe there is still one thing that would keep us out....our train wreck of a football stadium.
    This is why we are constantly hollering about Stadium renovation and CF Property development.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I honestly know nothing about what factors are considered when making conference realignment decisions, so please have mercy on me if these are stupid questions:

If we sold out Cajunfield every game, would the condition of the stadium make that much of a difference in conference realignment?

Assuming equal capacities, would a brand new stadium at only quarter capacity be more attractive than older stadium which is sold out?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I honestly know nothing about what factors are considered when making conference realignment decisions, so please have mercy on me if these are stupid questions:

If we sold out Cajunfield every game, would the condition of the stadium make that much of a difference in conference realignment?

Assuming equal capacities, would a brand new stadium at only quarter capacity be more attractive than older stadium which is sold out?
    i get what you are saying. heres my opinion:
    if we were selling out it would not matter. building a new stadium shows commitment to the athletics program and support that you need. now, if we have the right people in place and this shake up happened before our stadium, i hope they can convey the commitment we've shown to all facilities but cajun field, knowing that it isnt a pipe dream and would happen in the future.

again, if we are selling out cajun field, it doesnt matter