_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where were you...

Default Re: Where were you...

I was about to leave home for work. Just 7 months removed from retiring from the AF , and working for a Defense contractor. Like so many, couldn't believe my eyes!! Brought a small TV to the office to follow the breaking news. Glad we didn't need to get on base that day because it was on lockdown! My nephew was working at the Pentagon when that plane hit; thankfully not near his office.

Blog Entries

It seems like it was early in the am, I was driving south on Johnston Street. Was passing in front of Dwights Restaurant and Doug Ashey Lumber, listening to morning drive sports on KPEL 14.20 with Todd Hamilton.

The severity of the situation took a while to sink in. Pure tragedy.

Started RaginPagin six months later.

Thanks for posting your stories fellas.
    I'm not too sentimental, but I usually spend this day reflecting.
    It was good to read your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thanks for posting your stories fellas.
    I'm not too sentimental, but I usually spend this day reflecting.
    It was good to read your experiences.
    Obviously we all saw the extent of the damage to the towers after the planes hit but I never really realized how bad it was until I saw people jumping from the upper floors to their deaths just to escape the horrible conditions. It was truly sad and if you've ever seen the videos shot from the lobbies or beneath where the bodies were impacting, it was a sound like no other. Truly a horrible day and we saw it ALL play out of TV.

I'm not very religious, but I do remember attending Mass the next day at St. Anthony's in New Orleans. It was jam-packed. At some point before the procession, someone began singing God Bless America, and everyone joined in. Gives me chills thinking about it.

Blog Entries

Downtown Dallas in Lincoln Plaza.....44 story Bld. Bad day to be in a tower. I sent all my staff home at 11:30. Nothing was getting done and many didn't feel safe being in a high profile tower. Halliburton HQ at that time was a few floors above us

Also we were directly in landing flight path of Love Field. Each plane buzz over was noticed by all when typically you learned to ignore.....bad feeling.

I was 23 and in my last semester of ITEC before graduating. Class had just dismissed for the morning and my wife's car was in the shop, so naturally I was on foot. She said picked me up at the crosswalk on Lewis Street just next to Rougeau Hall. When I got in the car, she pointed to the radio asking if I'd heard about this! All I could hear from the radio reporter was "kids taking shelter in a nearby elementary school..." and I thought, "great. Another school shooting." The. My wife corrected me that a plane had flown into the twin towers in NYC. We drove to Coteau so that I could take the car and leave her with my infant daughter and Mother-in-law. When we got to their house, the TV was surreal...

I was in hotel room San Jose CA getting dressed, news on tv. Heard first reports, and thought about a picture from Life magazine of a B-25 bomber striking Empire State Building late in WWII. Went in to hospital but by then second plane hit & the classes I was going to teach had been canceled. My main operations contact also had responsibility for Security department. Offered to do anything I could. He thanked me and told me to hang out in the command center. Watched events unfold on tv, chatted with others as they executed their plan book. Then some _______ with ME accent called a bomb threat in to the ED. Things got intense then. Turned out it Was a false threat but I will never forget the next couple hours

The other stark memory a week later was getting on one of the first flight out of SFO. A 757 to ATL with about only a dozen passengers. My ex-wife was in Pittsburgh same time. I think her flight only had twice as many passengers as crew.

I remember her commenting about going in the ladies restroom at PIT and it was spotless & all the seats were up. She could not ever remember that happening in a public venue before. Strange what catches your attention in times like that.

I remember arriving at FMC in Broussard, across from Wal-Mart and Home Depot (they weren't there back then) and watched continuing coverage on the TV with the office staff. The news of the Pentagon was out, complete with pictures and video coverage. Then word of Shanksville came, supposedly destined for Camp david or something like that. We didn't know if it crashed or was shot down by fighter jets. I also recalled some of the inbred shop hands saying "that don't effect me!" I couldn't believe how ignorant they were to the situation. Those were our neighbors, our country men. From that day on, I vowed never to be ashamed of being an American. Ashamed of some of my fellow Americans' actions? Yes. But NEVER....EVER ashamed to be an American. Never Forget.

I was at one of our businesses and was leaving to go pick up one employee who's car would not start. When I got in my vehicle and turned it on, Richard Condon was on talking sports. He interrupted himself stating that a small plane hit one of the towers and said that they would monitor the situation. Then he stopped again later to say that the other tower had been hit and that something is going on. When I went to the bank later, they had the tv on and I saw the first tower fall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3