_ _ _ _
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: QB Hawkins Ruled Eligible

Default Re: QB Hawkins rules eligible

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    He will likely start over Thompson against UL.
    Don't think he transferred to backup thompson.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: QB Hawkins rules eligible

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Don't think he transferred to backup thompson.
    Well he transferred from Penn St. because he had no shot at playing this season and his former OC is at Miss State. Thompson isn't having a good fall camp, he's been more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    It's hard to get worse from what he showed at the George southern game
    The game where he attempted a whole four passes and carried the ball twice, as a freshman?

Peyton Manning threw INTs his first six NFL games, five of them multiple INT games. 6 TD passes and 14 INTs. He eventually figured things out. Yes, I know Levi is not Mannging.

In his first season, working with Hud, Levi completed 52% of his passes with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Last season, his first year with Napier, he completed 63% of his passes, with 7 TD passes and 2 INTs.

Now Levi's in his Junior year, and his second year with Napier guiding him. Maybe he's figuring things out.

Default Re: QB Hawkins Ruled Eligible

Coach said that Levi made 1 mistake in the last scrimmage and that is because he tried to force something in that he shouldn't have. Even Levi admitted he should have not made that decision.

Look, I am one of those guys that thought someone besides Levi would start this season, but if at the end of the day, Napier believes that Levi is the best QB at this point, then that is good enough for me.

Coach sees all of these guys every day and he knows who gives him the best chance to win, and if Levi is ahead of Magalei, McDowell, Kalbacher, Fields, Hawkins and Gibson, then I trust his decision.

We shall see when the lights come on full time for Levi, I can also guarantee you that we will see the #2 QB play, probably as Levi did last year. If Levi does not perform, we will see someone else in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Coach said that Levi made 1 mistake in the last scrimmage and that is because he tried to force something in that he shouldn't have. Even Levi admitted he should have not made that decision.

Look, I am one of those guys that thought someone besides Levi would start this season, but if at the end of the day, Napier believes that Levi is the best QB at this point, then that is good enough for me.

Coach sees all of these guys every day and he knows who gives him the best chance to win, and if Levi is ahead of Magalei, McDowell, Kalbacher, Fields, Hawkins and Gibson, then I trust his decision.

We shall see when the lights come on full time for Levi, I can also guarantee you that we will see the #2 QB play, probably as Levi did last year. If Levi does not perform, we will see someone else in that position.
    If Magalei, McDowell, Kalbacher, Fields, Hawkins and Gibson, can't perform better than what we saw last year, then there is something wrong with our recruiting of QB's.

CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    If Magalei, McDowell, Kalbacher, Fields, Hawkins and Gibson, can't perform better than what we saw last year, then there is something wrong with our recruiting of QB's.
    This is a mouth full right there.

Blaine Gautier couldn't get on the field until his R/S junior year..we were told for 3 years that he was too short, couldn't learn the offense, he should move positions. That worked out ok. Levi is a true junior with 18 games under his belt being evaluated and coached by people who do this for a living. You are basing Levi's career off of what you saw from a true sophomore who got to play every fourth series. He didn't play bad either, he moved the ball and scored TD's. He has been here the longest, has gotten the most Reps in practice so is probably the most prepared at this time to win ball games. Or you are right and all our coaches are morons and the whole QB room stinks. So it's one of those I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    The game where he attempted a whole four passes and carried the ball twice, as a freshman?

Peyton Manning threw INTs his first six NFL games, five of them multiple INT games. 6 TD passes and 14 INTs. He eventually figured things out. Yes, I know Levi is not Mannging.

In his first season, working with Hud, Levi completed 52% of his passes with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Last season, his first year with Napier, he completed 63% of his passes, with 7 TD passes and 2 INTs.

Now Levi's in his Junior year, and his second year with Napier guiding him. Maybe he's figuring things out.
    He only attempted four passes because they were so terrible Hud had no choice but to pull him. Last year against teams that had winning seasons his stats dropped to 50% & 1-1 ...He will get his chance to prove most of us wrong though for the sake of the program I hope we are

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Guys the quarterback position isn't our biggest concern. We need to see a much much improved defense in order to be successful. If our defense becomes a strength of this team then we will win a lot of games.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Guys the quarterback position isn't our biggest concern. We need to see a much much improved defense in order to be successful. If our defense becomes a strength of this team then we will win a lot of games.
    If the defense can improve, it will help tremendously, winning many games, and short term I can see that as being the goal. Those games will all be Sun Belt type opponents however. To win big games, games against good teams that have more talent overall, we need a high performing QB. This is a must position to me. This is where I want UL to be, capable of beating the best G5 and some P5. If we play it safe for a couple of years playing the ball control QB, I think we are just spinning our wheels, and yeah, maybe beating a bunch of SB or equal teams. I would like to see us develop a passing QB in a passing offense starting now. JMO.

He only attempted four passes because they were so terrible Hud had no choice but to pull him. Last year against teams that had winning seasons his stats dropped to 50% & 1-1 ...He will get his chance to prove most of us wrong though for the sake of the program I hope we are
    So he threw 4 horrible passes during his third ever appearance in a game higher than the high school level. Ok.

And he attempted 26 Total passes last season vs teams with winning records. No double digit pass attempts in any games.

Levi may not be the answer at QB, but I don't think any fan can have a real clue as to whether that answer is YES or NO based on his limits action as a true freshman and sophomore.

So your saying his stats were worse against good teams with better defense? That's a pretty foreign concept.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Well, Nunez did have a good year last season. So, it's not unlikely that a QB with little to no experience will have a similar or worse year statistcally.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Well, Nunez did have a "good" year last season. So, it's not unlikely that a QB with little to no experience will have a similar or worse year statistcally.
    Your opinion, maybe so. You are entitled to it.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Well, Nunez did have a good year last season. So, it's not unlikely that a QB with little to no experience will have a similar or worse year statistcally.
    Stats are deceiving at times, Nunez was adequate. His arm strength limited him from hitting routes that were open at times and he was unwilling to put his head down other times to get the first down or move the chains. He had physical limitations as well as being inexperienced. Film doesn't lie.

We have more physical talent in the QB room this season. Whether it's Levy or any other QB, the offense has the potential to be much better, especially on third down.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Your opinion, maybe so. You are entitled to it.
    Nunez had 20 TD's last year. That is 2nd all time here only behind Blaine's 23 in 2011.

His completion% last year was 63.41

His completion% for his career was 63.0 That is 2nd all time only behind Blaine at 63.7

In spite of only playing less than a year and a half for the Cajuns, Nunez finished 10th all time, on the Career total yardage passing list with 3,055 yards.

You guys who say Nunez was anything other than a good QB need to give it a rest.

Nunez had 20 TD's last year. That is 2nd all time here only behind Blaine's 23 in 2011.

His completion% for his career was 63.0 That is 2nd all time only behind Blaine at 63.7

In spite of only playing less than a year and a half for the Cajuns, Nunez finished 10th all time, on the Career total yardage passing list with 3,055 yards.

You guys who say Nunez was anything other than a good QB need to give it a rest.
    And did that while being taken out every 4th series...the staff also thought they would have a guy here in the spring that is on scholarship at Georgia currently.

You with your facts and data and evidence. Come on man. That's not how we roll around here.

Yeah those pesky stats:

Nunez threw for for 2272 yards last year, in 14 games.
    Take for instance: Jake threw for 2901 (Sr) and 2701 (Jr) in guess what, 11 games. Say it again 11 games!
    Now go back and look at what others did in the same amount of games and Nunez was ok, but certainly not what we need.
    Before Gautier, we didn't have any Bowl games, so there goes that little pesky stat.
    In addition to all that, we haven't been very good in football to have had many good QB's. We need one now though.

Yeah those pesky stats:

Nunez threw for for 2272 yards last year, in 14 games.
    Take for instance: Jake threw for 2901 (Sr) and 2701 (Jr) in guess what, 11 games. Say it again 11 games!
    Now go back and look at what others did in the same amount of games and Nunez was ok, but certainly not what we need.
    Before Gautier, we didn't have any Bowl games, so there goes that little pesky stat.
    In addition to all that, we haven't been very good in football to have had many good QB's. We need one now though.
    So a guy who played in a pro style offense(for 4 years) and played in the nfl for 12-13 years that was throwing to a wide receiver who played in the nfl for the 13 years put up better number than Nunez (played 1.5 years)? Interesting. The game has changed, our situation has changed.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast