_ _ _ _
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: QB Hawkins Ruled Eligible

Default Re: QB Hawkins Ruled Eligible

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Yeah those pesky stats:

Nunez threw for for 2272 yards last year, in 14 games.
    Take for instance: Jake threw for 2901 (Sr) and 2701 (Jr) in guess what, 11 games. Say it again 11 games!
    Now go back and look at what others did in the same amount of games and Nunez was ok, but certainly not what we need.
    Before Gautier, we didn't have any Bowl games, so there goes that little pesky stat.
    In addition to all that, we haven't been very good in football to have had many good QB's. We need one now though.
    It doesn't help one's argument to compare a guy with one of the best QBs we have ever had. I would venture to say it diminishes your argument quite a bit.
    Not saying that we do not need better than Nunez's play but to label him as barely adequate is disingenuous.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

If the defense can improve, it will help tremendously, winning many games, and short term I can see that as being the goal. Those games will all be Sun Belt type opponents however. To win big games, games against good teams that have more talent overall, we need a high performing QB. This is a must position to me. This is where I want UL to be, capable of beating the best G5 and some P5. If we play it safe for a couple of years playing the ball control QB, I think we are just spinning our wheels, and yeah, maybe beating a bunch of SB or equal teams. I would like to see us develop a passing QB in a passing offense starting now. JMO.
    100% accurate statement. But this team is talented enough to win the sun belt outright with an improved defense.

For us to get to the next level we absolutely must have a game changing QB.

Jake didn't start game 1 as a freshman, can we actually play a game and see what we look like before people already deciding what we don't have

I'm not necessarily in the pro-Levi camp, but he did show flashes and was competent against App St in the regular season meeting. In fact, he jump started the offense with his TD pass.

If the defense can improve, it will help tremendously, winning many games, and short term I can see that as being the goal. Those games will all be Sun Belt type opponents however. To win big games, games against good teams that have more talent overall, we need a high performing QB. This is a must position to me. This is where I want UL to be, capable of beating the best G5 and some P5. If we play it safe for a couple of years playing the ball control QB, I think we are just spinning our wheels, and yeah, maybe beating a bunch of SB or equal teams. I would like to see us develop a passing QB in a passing offense starting now. JMO.
    One step at a time. We won't figure out how to beat the best G5's and P5's until we learn how to win the Sun Belt Conference Championship.

That's the goal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Jake didn't start game 1 as a freshman, can we actually play a game and see what we look like before people already deciding what we don't have
    what the hell kind of fun would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    what the hell kind of fun would that be?
    I know right? Who needs enemies when you have these kinds of friends

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Nunez had 20 TD's last year. That is 2nd all time here only behind Blaine's 23 in 2011.

His completion% last year was 63.41

His completion% for his career was 63.0 That is 2nd all time only behind Blaine at 63.7

In spite of only playing less than a year and a half for the Cajuns, Nunez finished 10th all time, on the Career total yardage passing list with 3,055 yards.

You guys who say Nunez was anything other than a good QB need to give it a rest.
    The game of football is not a video game or fantasy sports game. So let's look at the stats closer, like situational football and what he accomplished against the best in the SBC.

First, the offenses 3rd down conversion rate with him at QB was 35% and his completion rate on 3rd down dropped from 63.41% to 54%. If you believe in stats both are average at best.

Now lets look at what he did with his legs, after removing sacks. After removing sacks, he still only rushed for under 2.0 yards per and his longest gain was 18 yards. Bottom line, he didn't make plays with his legs to move the chains.

Here are his stats against the top 4 Teams in the SBC:

App State 14-23,108 Passing, 4-11 Rushing
    Ark. State 18-26, 295 2-2 Passing, 4-3 Rushing
    Troy 11-25,126 0-2int, Passing, 2-0 Rushing
    App State 10-21,85 0-2 int Passing, 4-18 1TD Rushing

Those are his stats as well, and I'm not including Tulane. His performance wasn't great, in fact outside of the Arkansas State game, he was bad against the best teams. He didn't make plays with his arm or his legs, and he didn't elevate his game against them either. The majority of the season stats were in 6 games against mostly bad teams. So how is that Good?

Bottom line, he wasn't close to Broadmore's or Gauthier's best seasons, nor did he carry his team in any games against the better teams. Someone said it wasn't fair to compare him to the best, but yet you say he had a top 10 season in passing stats in UL history.

I said he was adequate, not barely adequate as someone stated, but he certainly wasn't good by any standard. Football is not a video game and stats matter more in fantasy leagues. It matters when a player performs, wins & losses.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: QB Hawkins Ruled Eligible

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Coach said that Levi made 1 mistake in the last scrimmage and that is because he tried to force something in that he shouldn't have. Even Levi admitted he should have not made that decision.

Look, I am one of those guys that thought someone besides Levi would start this season, but if at the end of the day, Napier believes that Levi is the best QB at this point, then that is good enough for me.

Coach sees all of these guys every day and he knows who gives him the best chance to win, and if Levi is ahead of Magalei, McDowell, Kalbacher, Fields, Hawkins and Gibson, then I trust his decision.

We shall see when the lights come on full time for Levi, I can also guarantee you that we will see the #2 QB play, probably as Levi did last year. If Levi does not perform, we will see someone else in that position.
    I'm guessing a lot of people figure if we haven't got better than LL we've missed the boat with regards to QB recruiting. I'm not one but think that's a reality.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    .... he certainly wasn't good by any standard....
    Tell you what T, I'll make sure the school includes that quote right next to Andre's picture and name in the record books.

He quarterbacked this school to a Conference Championship Game and a Bowl Game, all the while writing his name in the record books for single season and career individual stats.

Yeah, he was no good. If you don't win the league and if you don't break individual records while winning the league, you are not a good QB. Is that the idea?

Be sure to tell that to our incoming recruits. Don't want them to get the wrong idea.

Blog Entries

Tell you what T, I'll make sure the school includes that quote right next to Andre's picture and name in the record books.

He quarterbacked this school to a Conference Championship Game and a Bowl Game, all the while writing his name in the record books for single season and career individual stats.

Yeah, he was no good. If you don't win the league and if you don't break individual records while winning the league, you are not a good QB. Is that the idea?

Be sure to tell that to our incoming recruits. Don't want them to get the wrong idea.
    I really dont think T is dogging him. Just purely talent evaluation and the ability to be an all round college qb. We all appreciate what Andre did for us.

Blog Entries

Emotional nonsense!

Yes he did and he managed the offense of a 7-6 team. In that entire season, he was adequate to bad in the games against best in the SBC. He didn't make plays with his arm or legs against the best teams. Are you denying that fact, or you going to tell me how much your feelings were hurt because I don't regard him as a good QB? If stats matter, all stats matter including when and how those numbers were achieved.

Again, emotional nonsense! I said he was an adequate QB and he wasn't good against the best in the SBC. What is your definition of good?

Hopefully they are going to tell incoming freshmen that a SBC Championship is the goal and Broadmore and Gauthier set the standard defeating teams in bowl games while being considered underdogs and winning MVPS of the New Orleans Bowl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I really dont think T is dogging him. Just purely talent evaluation and the ability to be an all round college qb. We all appreciate what Andre did for us.
    Exactly! Regardless of his emotional rantings, the film doesn't lie. He gave it his all and was respected by his teammates. On a talent level, he is not the type of athlete that will elevate your program and when he had opportunities to do it against the best teams in the SBC conference, his performance and the team were not good enough. JMO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Exactly! Regardless of his emotional rantings, the film doesn't lie. He gave it his all and was respected by his teammates. On a talent level, he is not the type of athlete that will elevate your program and when he had opportunities to do it against the best teams in the SBC conference, his performance and the team were not good enough. JMO
    You just described life!! There is always somebody better than you and I in our careers and hobbies etc.

Nunez had 20 TD's last year. That is 2nd all time here only behind Blaine's 23 in 2011.

His completion% last year was 63.41

His completion% for his career was 63.0 That is 2nd all time only behind Blaine at 63.7

In spite of only playing less than a year and a half for the Cajuns, Nunez finished 10th all time, on the Career total yardage passing list with 3,055 yards.

You guys who say Nunez was anything other than a good QB need to give it a rest.
    Truly a testament to how little we've gotten out of the QB position in the past. He was an average sun belt QB.

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Can't we just wait two weeks and have some play to evaluate rather than impose an evaluation upon play that has not even happened?

C'mon folks, we had a much better than expected year last year and a year that may have been classified as a HR had we not dropped the Coastal game (which took the wind out of the evaluation sails before the good part got played).

We had record recruiting, are on the way to another great requiring year and we still have in place a great staff.

Let's play a few this season before the "world is falling apart" analysis comes rushing in, can we?

Imagine what the stats would look like if they all played for the same HC and OC and all had the same 10 guys around them. Then really think about how stats don't really say ___ when comparing guys from different eras and teams.

If Magalei, McDowell, Kalbacher, Fields, Hawkins and Gibson, can't perform better than what we saw last year, then there is something wrong with our recruiting of QB's.
    if this was in a vacuum, this comparison would be accurate, however the actual comparison is can those QB's be better than the 1 years later, 2019 version, head coach stated improved Levi. No one has the answer to that at this point in time. no matter what his play was last year. the comparison is and should be about this year.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Not a chance in hell Lewis starts over Hawkins. Give the newcomer 2 weeks. That's all he needs.
    I'm fired up! Let's GEAUX!!!!
    ......About 17 days left....big scrimmages remain to judge game type conditions of command of offense both mentally and physically (hopefully no injuries)....yes decisions will be made prior to the 17 days for our order/rotation, but it's a long season and even early evaluations can influence coaches calls!

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Not a chance in hell Lewis starts over Hawkins. Give the newcomer 2 weeks. That's all he needs.
    I'm fired up! Let's GEAUX!!!!
    Are you re-thinking this position after Saturday's scrimmage?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10