_ _ _ _

Thread: Athlon Sports- Louisiana mentions

Default Athlon Sports- Louisiana mentions

Just for fun, back away from the keyboard. Just wanted to post some mentions in the Athlon Sports college football preview.

Top RB units: Louisiana - #23

2018 New Coaches ranking: Billy Napier - #7

Billy Napier named as the next breakout coach to come out of the Sunbelt.

Im Jones'in for FB

Blog Entries

Default Re: Athlon Sports- Louisiana mentions

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Just for fun, back away from the keyboard. Just wanted to post some mentions in the Athlon Sports college football preview.

Top RB units: Louisiana - #23

2018 New Coaches ranking: Billy Napier - #7

Billy Napier named as the next breakout coach to come out of the Sunbelt.

Im Jones'in for FB
    Man, i have tempered expectations but expect improved 2019 campaign. Improvement after last year means damn good year!! I'm liking the quite persona of Naps who has the look of pure business as opposed to the rah rah BS. Cant wait!!

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Man, i have tempered expectations but expect improved 2019 campaign. Improvement after last year means damn good year!! I'm liking the quite persona of Naps who has the look of pure business as opposed to the rah rah BS. Cant wait!!
    2018 was a lagniappe year and the team made the most of it. Could have finished 8-6, but 7-7 with a West Division championship, appearance in the inaugural championship game and bowl game was more than most expected!

2019 expectations will definitely be higher with the squad they have returning, the #1 recruiting class in the conference and off season improvements. Billy is building something here. Expect to beat at least one of the usual conference front runners in the east (App/Troy/Georgia Southern) and take the game at Ohio. No easy task, but if we do the games against Liberty, TXST, SOAL, TX Southern and Coastal should be fine if that's the case. That puts us at 7 wins with a chance for more with the others on the schedule.

Man, that's easy to do on paper. Much harder for those guys actually playing the games. It'll be a long couple of months waiting for kickoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    2018 was a lagniappe year and the team made the most of it. Could have finished 8-6, but 7-7 with a West Division championship, appearance in the inaugural championship game and bowl game was more than most expected!

2019 expectations will definitely be higher with the squad they have returning, the #1 recruiting class in the conference and off season improvements. Billy is building something here. Expect to beat at least one of the usual conference front runners in the east (App/Troy/Georgia Southern) and take the game at Ohio. No easy task, but if we do the games against Liberty, TXST, SOAL, TX Southern and Coastal should be fine if that's the case. That puts us at 7 wins with a chance for more with the others on the schedule.

Man, that's easy to do on paper. Much harder for those guys actually playing the games. It'll be a long couple of months waiting for kickoff.
    We will have to beat teams that are better than us this year to have a winning record hopefully Javi and an improved defense can play a hand in that.

We should retake the west Ark state is in bad shape but by far the toughest, ULM lost their best offensive player, South AL coach still pretends he is in the Southland and Texas state is a few years away

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    We will have to beat teams that are better than us this year to have a winning record hopefully Javi and an improved defense can play a hand in that.

We should retake the west Ark state is in bad shape but by far the toughest, ULM lost their best offensive player, South AL coach still pretends he is in the Southland and Texas state is a few years away
    If you beat more than one then they probably aren't better than you. You beat them. I only see 3 teams on the schedule that are considered better than us on paper currently. Maybe 4 if you include stAte but I'd say we are on par with them currently.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    If you beat more than one then they probably aren't better than you. You beat them. I only see 3 teams on the schedule that are considered better than us on paper currently. Maybe 4 if you include stAte but I'd say we are on par with them currently.
    Ohio, Troy , GASO, Miss state , App state & maybe Ark state are all better on paper than us right now

Meaning we have to beat a more established team to have a winning record

Ohio, Troy , GASO, Miss state , App state & maybe Ark state are all better on paper than us right now

I have miss state, Troy and app state as clear favorites. I think we match up very well with Georgia southern and I think our athleticism will give Ohio trouble as speed normally does to MAC teams. The edge I give to stAte is only that the game is there

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I have miss state........as clear favorites.

So do the betting lines. Cajuns open as 22.5 point dogs against Moo State in August.

DieHard1280 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    So do the betting lines. Cajuns open as 22.5 point dogs against Moo State in August.
    No surprises there. I'd be tempted to take that bet though if I were a betting man.

Troy has lost too much with 4 starters transferring out after the coaching change (including 3 all conference players plus normal graduation losses), to be still considered better than us on paper. Ark state also is below or on par with us. so that only leave 4 teams that on paper look better than us. and i question Geo Southern and ohio being better, but i will entertain the idea on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    Troy has lost too much with 4 starters transferring out after the coaching change (including 3 all conference players plus normal graduation losses), to be still considered better than us on paper. Ark state also is below or on par with us. so that only leave 4 teams that on paper look better than us. and i question Geo Southern and ohio being better, but i will entertain the idea on paper.
    We were 1-6 vs teams with a winning record so let's pump the brakes on saying we are better than teams that finished 9-4 & 10-3. Not saying we can't beat them but we will have to play dam good football to beat majority of this schedule.

We were 1-6 vs teams with a winning record so let's pump the brakes on saying we are better than teams that finished 9-4 & 10-3. We will have to play dam good football to beat either
    Troy is the only one i said we are better than on paper and i explained why im selling on Troy. the others i said i question if they are better than us, but i will entertain the idea on paper.

Troy is the only one i said we are better than on paper and i explained why im selling on Troy. the others i said i question if they are better than us, but i will entertain the idea on paper.
    gotcha misconstrued your statement

Ohio lost a lot in the trenches on both sides. I expect a big jump in year 2 as happened with huds second year and most of the time coaches have the biggest improvement in year 2. I expect a really big improvement on defense. After listening to Napier talk about that side of the ball, I don't think people understand how far behind we were on that side of the ball. He made an analogy that said a lot. He referenced last year was trying to teach Japanese to people who speak English only to realize they don't really understand English either. Hopefully a whole lot less thinking this year.

fun "on paper" stat. Phil Steele just released his magazine today, and some schools have tweeted their pre-season all-conference selections.

Louisiana has 15 selections. 4- 1st, 5- 2nd, 2- 3rd and 3- 4th team players.
    Georgia southern has 10 selections. 4 -1st, 2- 2nd, and 4 3rd team players. included in GS 2nd team is a Long snapper.

its not impossible to view UL as better on paper than GS.

fun "on paper" stat. Phil Steele just released his magazine today, and some schools have tweeted their pre-season all-conference selections.

Louisiana has 15 selections. 4- 1st, 5- 2nd, 2- 3rd and 3- 4th team players.
    Georgia southern has 10 selections. 4 -1st, 2- 2nd, and 4 3rd team players. included in GS 2nd team is a Long snapper.

its not impossible to view UL as better on paper than GS.
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...chedule-roster

If I see growth and mistakes cleaned up I will be happy we just need to secure a bowl birth to maintain momentum