_ _ _ _

Thread: GoneGolfin Question

Default GoneGolfin Question

Brian, how does the softball questioning work? Is the schedule done like baseball where it is built 2 to 3 years in advance. From my understanding a lot of bad things happen to this years schedule, is that the schedule Glasco built or was he still playing off of what Lotief had scheduled? I understand that you can schedule a good team and 2 or 3 years later they have a bad year. My guess is that Glasco will use some of his SEC ties along with Coach Roberts Pac-12 ties and start to schedule some traditonal power house schools for OOC.

Default Re: GONE GOLFING QUESTION

I'm not Brian but...He inherited parts of the schedule. He did add to it. I'm not sure which parts are his and what part was the previous staff. Glasco said he added games that didn't work out in our favor. I'm sure he's already started shifting things around for next year. He seems to be a quick learner and very aggressive.

Default Re: Gonegolfin QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Brian, how does the softball questioning work? Is the schedule done like baseball where it is built 2 to 3 years in advance. From my understanding a lot of bad things happen to this years schedule, is that the schedule Glasco built or was he still playing off of what Lotief had scheduled? I understand that you can schedule a good team and 2 or 3 years later they have a bad year. My guess is that Glasco will use some of his SEC ties along with Coach Roberts Pac-12 ties and start to schedule some traditonal power house schools for OOC.
    When I was working on it with Mike, he was adding a significant number of teams (non-conference games) between mid-June and September prior to the next spring season. I remember adding Georgia Tech (doubleheader) for the 2012 season during that time ... others like Northwestern (Big 10), Kentucky, and North Carolina were added during that time. You certainly have some teams scheduled in advance (1->2 years), but also plenty of opportunities to add opponents during the summer months prior to the following Spring season.

One trick in this ... look at some of the elite teams' schedules and see where they are going to be (geographically) at times on your schedule where you would like to add games (or replace opponents you already have scheduled). You can sometimes convince an elite conference school to stop by Lafayette when they might be in Texas, Baton Rouge, or Mississippi to squeeze in a game (or DH). And vice-versa (when the Cajuns travel). We did this several times.

Baseball is a little further out. But make no mistake, games are added in the months prior to the baseball spring season as well.

Brian

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    When I was working on it with Mike, he was adding a significant number of teams (non-conference games) between mid-June and September prior to the next spring season. I remember adding Georgia Tech (doubleheader) for the 2012 season during that time ... others like Northwestern (Big 10), Kentucky, and North Carolina were added during that time. You certainly have some teams scheduled in advance (1->2 years), but also plenty of opportunities to add opponents during the summer months prior to the following Spring season.

One trick in this ... look at some of the elite teams' schedules and see where they are going to be (geographically) at times on your schedule where you would like to add games (or replace opponents you already have scheduled). You can sometimes convince an elite conference school to stop by Lafayette when they might be in Texas, Baton Rouge, or Mississippi to squeeze in a game (or DH). And vice-versa (when the Cajuns travel). We did this several times.

Baseball is a little further out. But make no mistake, games are added in the months prior to the baseball spring season as well.

Brian
    Jay suggested in his show yesterday that going to Baton Rouge may be something Cajuns softball needs to consider due to the RPI issue. Wonder if they would be willing to pay us to do so.

Default Re: GoneGolfin Question

Yvette should be able to help with that now that Glasco is the coach. But idk if they would come here.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Yvette should be able to help with that now that Glasco is the coach. But idk if they would come here.
    How can they not come to their coaches field?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    How can they not come to their coaches field?
    LOL.... Good point. Hadn't thought of that before. Didn't think about it but was that part of a bigger plan? I mean at this stage LSU will have an extremely hard time "honoring" a UL coach.

p.s. - I'm just stirring the pot for the tin foil hat fans....

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Brian
    Let's remember one thing. While the schedule needs work, we did lose a game against Oklahoma and Oregon State. We also lost a 3 game series against Florida State. Those are 5 games against quality opponents, while not helping us greatly it's certainly would had have been better had we played those games. I have no concerns going forward with Coach Glasco and future schedules. As you stated, there are plenty opportunities to schedule quality opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Let's remember one thing. While the schedule needs work, we did lose a game against Oklahoma and Oregon State. We also lost a 3 game series against Florida State. Those are 5 games against quality opponents, while not helping us greatly it's certainly would had have been better had we played those games. I have no concerns going forward with Coach Glasco and future schedules. As you stated, there are plenty opportunities to schedule quality opponents.
    Indeed ... I have no concerns about our ability to schedule going forward and have confidence in Glasco.

I will say (and I made this point earlier in the season when I expressed the opinion that the Cajuns were not going to host) that even with the second Oklahoma and Oregon State games on the schedule ... along with a full three game series vs. Florida State ... it would not have been enough. We are only talking about four extra Top 25 games. Even if the Cajuns win 2 of those 4 (which I doubt) ... it would not have been enough. Maybe, maybe if Baylor met prior expectations and was Top 25 ... adding two more wins, totaling 4 (if you take 2 of 4 from Oklahoma and Florida State), it would be possible ... but dicey. Of course, if Baylor had met expectations, maybe the Cajuns do not get two wins from them. The bottom line ... you really need significantly more opportunities than what was even originally on the schedule. You cannot schedule for perfection (meaning, no cancelations and all top teams meeting their expectations).

In 2011/2012 when I first worked with Mike on scheduling, two Top 25 RPI games were lost due to cancelations (Arizona, North Carolina). Fortunately just enough Top 25 games were scheduled to get the Cajuns four wins (one vs. the RPI Top 10). You need to go in expecting to lose a few games. Some sort of buffer is necessary. While the Cajuns did just enough to snag a national seed, the low # of Top 25 and Top 10 wins was the primary reason the Cajuns received a national seed two spots lower than their RPI ranking.

For me, the template schedule for the Cajuns was 2014. You had 14 RPI Top 25 games (won 9) and 3 RPI Top 10 games (won 2). And Texas (two games) did not meet expectations and was #26 (these happen and you need to factor it into your model). You really need to be shooting for a minimum of 10 games (preferably closer to 15) vs. the RPI Top 25 with several coming against the RPI Top 10.

Brian

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Indeed ... I have no concerns about our ability to schedule going forward and have confidence in Glasco.

I will say (and I made this point earlier in the season when I expressed the opinion that the Cajuns were not going to host) that even with the second Oklahoma and Oregon State games on the schedule ... along with a full three game series vs. Florida State ... it would not have been enough. We are only talking about four extra Top 25 games. Even if the Cajuns win 2 of those 4 (which I doubt) ... it would not have been enough. Maybe, maybe if Baylor met prior expectations and was Top 25 ... adding two more wins, totaling 4 (if you take 2 of 4 from Oklahoma and Florida State), it would be possible ... but dicey. You really need significantly more opportunities than what was even originally on the schedule. You cannot schedule for perfection (meaning, no cancelations and all top teams meeting their expectations).

In 2011/2012 when I first worked with Mike on scheduling, two Top 25 RPI games were lost due to cancelations (Arizona, North Carolina). Fortunately just enough Top 25 games were scheduled to get the Cajuns four wins (one vs. the RPI Top 10). You need to go in expecting to lose a few games. Some sort of buffer is necessary. While the Cajuns did just enough to snag a national seed, the low # of Top 25 and Top 10 wins was the primary reason the Cajuns receiving a national seed two spots lower than their RPI ranking.

For me, the template schedule for the Cajuns was 2014. You had 14 RPI Top 25 games (won 9) and 3 RPI Top 10 games (won 2). And Texas (two games) did not meet expectations and was #26 (these happen as well and you need to factor it into your model). You really need to be shooting for a minimum of 10 games (preferably closer to 15) vs. the RPI Top 25 with several coming against the RPI Top 10.

Brian
    Agree! Had Baylor and Cal been much better this year, it certainly would have helped.

Glasco did mention that the reason this season wasn't as good as it could have been was because he came in late and didn't have as much time to put a good schedule together. He said that he plans to have a better schedule moving forward by trying to get 15 games against the top 25

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    Glasco did mention that the reason this season wasn't as good as it could have been was because he came in late and didn't have as much time to put a good schedule together. He said that he plans to have a better schedule moving forward by trying to get 15 games against the top 25
    That is the number that I think will allow the Cajuns to please the selection committee and thus accomplish their goals.

Brian

That is the number that I think will allow the Cajuns to please the selection committee and thus accomplish their goals.

Brian
    Brian how do we go about getting those games. Do the Cajuns hit the road, ask team to come hear or play is some big tournaments or a combination of all three?