_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tech scheduling problem

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    It was stated that Tech will receive roughly $2.6 million from insurance. That will pay for a solid stadium foundation in today's marketplace.
    Donations will pour in from their fans, alumni
    And even strangers

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Donations will pour in from their fans, alumni
    And even strangers
    We will see. That's a lot of money when you consider all the damage that took place.

Default Re: L A Tech scheduling problem

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Sorry but that is totally overplayed. It isn't like we are competing head to head against Tech all the time for any given recruit. It just doesn't work that way. You really think a high school kid is basing their decision on where to attend school based on head to head competition?

Huge number of things in front of that on their list of reasons for choosing any given school. I'd guess less than 1% of kids make their decision based on head to head competition. Way to many other considerations.

While we are on this subject.... I spoke to the father of a football recruit recently who told me the following story (abb. version). His kid was a lineman (Texas) pushing 6'4" and 300 lbs and attended a lot of P5 camps between Texas, La, Miss. and Alabama. He also attended the UL camp because of family ties to the area. He had interest from a number of them but ultimately ended up with a major shoulder injury and decided he was done with football.

The interesting thing was that his dad said if UL had offered at the camp he would have committed in a heartbeat. His dad said the facilities, even up against these other schools, were incredible. That was a huge deal for both of them and an complete surprise. They also loved the coaching staff.

Those are the things that matter in any sport. Not a head to head W/L record.
    Those things may matter a lot to average recruits, but they are not the deciding factor with most upper echelon recruits. The upper echelon guys all expect to get a shot in the NFL some day, and a program's ability to consistently have players taken in the NFL draft is the single most important factor with these recruits.

Since Holtz has been coach there, Tech has been one of the top G5 programs in having players drafted by the NFL (including a first round pick three years ago). It's their continued success in this area that gives them the ability to recruit high caliber players to Ruston.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Those things may matter a lot to average recruits, but they are not the deciding factor with most upper echelon recruits. The upper echelon guys all expect to get a shot in the NFL some day, and a program's ability to consistently have players taken in the NFL draft is the single most important factor with these recruits.

Since Holtz has been coach there, Tech has been one of the top G5 programs in having players drafted by the NFL (including a first round pick three years ago). It's their continued success in this area that gives them the ability to recruit high caliber players to Ruston.
    Oiler, you sound like a hype guy for their program. what has those few players getting drafted gotten them in the big picture? how many conference championships? la tech is an slightly above average program like many others. they consistently have a winning record, but are never the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    Oiler, you sound like a hype guy for their program. what has those few players getting drafted gotten them in the big picture? how many conference championships? la tech is an slightly above average program like many others. they consistently have a winning record, but are never the best.
    I don't mean to sound like that at all. I was just making the point that players today want to play somewhere they think will give them the best chance to get an opportunity to play in the NFLand that having players drafted regularly is as big in recruiting as anything is.

I don't mean to sound like that at all. I was just making the point that players today want to play somewhere they think will give them the best chance to get an opportunity to play in the NFLand that having players drafted regularly is as big in recruiting as anything is.
    i should have added that i agree with your point of getting players to the NFL is a recruiting advantage, i just dont see any proof that tech has been able to capitalize on it for their program.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    i should have added that i agree with your point of getting players to the NFL is a recruiting advantage, i just dont see any proof that tech has been able to capitalize on it for their program.
    Did you attend the last couple of games we played against them? I did, and we were outmanned at almost every position. Their program may suck overall, but La Tech is 5-0 against Sun Belt teams since that embarrassment we suffered through in Cajun Field. If getting better recruits isn't the reason they've been able to dominate SBC competition, what is it?

Did you attend the last couple of games we played against them? I did, and we were outmanned at almost every position. Their program may suck overall, but La Tech is 5-0 against Sun Belt teams since that embarrassment we suffered through in Cajun Field. If getting better recruits isn't the reason they've been able to dominate SBC competition, what is it?
    Nah man.. they're little brother. They'll never hold a candle to us while we go 7-5 in the Sunbelt

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tech scheduling problem

Things that matter in recruiting to 17/18 yr olds.

-Name recognition....kid's do compare
    -Current Coaches (relationship building is Yuge)....what happened 10 years ago with past coaches has ZERO effect on present day.
    -playing time
    -Scholarship package (important in fractional scholarship sports)
    -distance
    -facilities

Not important.....pro draft. If you are good, scouts will see it long before. In baseball pro Scouts know if potential for draft by your Soph/Jr year in HS. Football......all D1 games are televised. Detailed Stats with film are immediately available at all times.

If coach Napier is here 5 yrs and continues to recruit like he's doing now, the days of tech being better in football will be long gone. This guy has the potential to be Boise 10 yrs ago kinda good.

LaCajunsFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    If coach Napier is here 5 yrs and continues to recruit like he's doing now, the days of tech being better in football will be long gone. This guy has the potential to be Boise 10 yrs ago kinda good.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    On paper and followed by the success of the coaching staff and team last year, it surely looks promising. Also good that this is coming on the heels of wishes for stadium refurbishment.

Keep our fingers crossed that paper turns into success on the field.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3