_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Week 4 softball rpi

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,161

    UL Softball Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    So what ARE they basing seedings on? Standings in the SEC/Big 12/Pac 12?
    Yes, the committee will use rpi rankings to determine the hosts. What I'm saying is that they won't use ours, even if we manage to get into the top 16.

    I don't see a whole lot of likelihood that, mathematically, the Cajuns can get into the top 16. Their OWP will be able to improve with games against Southeastern Louisiana, Appalachian State, North Carolina-Greensboro, Louisiana Tech and Coastal Carolina, but it will be devastated by Georgia State and ULM. Even if it does happen, you have to start looking at the specifics of the resume. The only top 50 games the Cajuns are likely to have are Oklahoma, Oregon State (dangerously close to out), Louisiana Tech, Troy, North Carolina-Greensboro and North Texas. The last 4 have much work to do to get into the top 50 and stay there. As it is, this is a very weak resume the Cajuns have, even if they win out and those teams finish in the top 50.

  2. #22
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,443

    Default Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    Our continued lack of scoring against lackluster teams will also not help in the eyeball test. We're winning, but not dominating these lesser teams.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    3,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Our continued lack of scoring against lackluster teams will also not help in the eyeball test. We're winning, but not dominating these lesser teams.
    UTA held UCLA to 2 runs, A&M and OK State to 1 each, and held Arkansas to just 4 runs in each game against them, losing 1-4 and winning 7-4. We're not the only good team to have had scoring held in check by them.

    Even when they got swept by Troy, runs given up each game was 2, 7 and 2.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    5,481

    UL Softball Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Yes, the committee will use rpi rankings to determine the hosts. What I'm saying is that they won't use ours, even if we manage to get into the top 16.

    I don't see a whole lot of likelihood that, mathematically, the Cajuns can get into the top 16. Their OWP will be able to improve with games against Southeastern Louisiana, Appalachian State, North Carolina-Greensboro, Louisiana Tech and Coastal Carolina, but it will be devastated by Georgia State and ULM. Even if it does happen, you have to start looking at the specifics of the resume. The only top 50 games the Cajuns are likely to have are Oklahoma, Oregon State (dangerously close to out), Louisiana Tech, Troy, North Carolina-Greensboro and North Texas. The last 4 have much work to do to get into the top 50 and stay there. As it is, this is a very weak resume the Cajuns have, even if they win out and those teams finish in the top 50.
    ... and when you are talking about #1 seed consideration, it is much more about record vs. the RPI Top 25 and RPI Top 10 (peer group) than record vs. RPI Top 50. The Cajuns have no resume here. So, unless the selection committee does something remarkably different than in years past (not likely), this is a dangerous #2 seed that a host team does not want to see.

    Brian

  5. #25
    CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,057

    Default Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    ... and when you are talking about #1 seed consideration, it is much more about record vs. the RPI Top 25 and RPI Top 10 (peer group) than record vs. RPI Top 50. The Cajuns have no resume here. So, unless the selection committee does something remarkably different than in years past (not likely), this is a dangerous #2 seed that a host team does not want to see.

    Brian
    I think you are spot on. We will not host and no host will be happy to get us considering that our upside has not been really tested with our schedule.

  6. #26
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,443

    Default Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    UTA held UCLA to 2 runs, A&M and OK State to 1 each, and held Arkansas to just 4 runs in each game against them, losing 1-4 and winning 7-4. We're not the only good team to have had scoring held in check by them.

    Even when they got swept by Troy, runs given up each game was 2, 7 and 2.
    We've gotten multiple low scoring games. Sure we've won all but one Brokeback game. Nice that you showed P5 close low score games. You do realize in the real world those teams play numerous high ranked teams to add to their resume. Our claim to fame is dominating wins since this year our schedule is not too strong. So what's your point?

  7. #27
    RaginScotsman's Avatar
    RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,975

    Default Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    I think it's safe to say that these guys are just favoring the rankings as opposed to RPI. Have us as a 10 seed paired with Florida. I'll take it:

    https://www.collegesportsmadness.com...l/bracketology


  8. #28
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,818

    Default Re: Week 4 softball rpi

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Our continued lack of scoring against lackluster teams will also not help in the eyeball test. We're winning, but not dominating these lesser teams.
    But at the other side. Even if we beat these lesser teams by 15 runs it still won't matter. They look at wins and loses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •