_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parrott Blog: Deep thoughts on UL baseball

Default Parrott Blog: Deep thoughts on UL baseball

A blog with some thoughts on UL baseball:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb...Id=personaDest

Default Re: Parrott Blog: Deep thoughts on UL baseball

Well done Josh. Thanks for the wrap-up.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I was at all three games this weekend... spending a total of 10.5 hours at The Tigue. Your wrap-up was spot on.

Thanks, Josh, for the great coverage and accurate assessment of the Cajuns as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ I was at all three games this weekend... spending a total of 10.5 hours at The Tigue. Your wrap-up was spot on.

Thanks, Josh, for the great coverage and accurate assessment of the Cajuns as of right now. _
    I too was at the Tigue all weekend and agree on Josh's coverage. As always, GREAT JOB Josh!

Wanted to offer a correction: Marvel won't play first base at UL, according to coach Robe. (He did in JUCO, though.) Poirrier and Long are other options there.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Wanted to offer a correction: Marvel won't play first base at UL, according to coach Robe. (He did in JUCO, though.) Poirrier and Long are other options there. _
    It seems we need about 3 DH's...

I guess 1st base is a good place to hide struggling fielders. Is that a true statement? Not that 1st base is simple, but I imagine it's easier to minimize errors at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ It seems we need about 3 DH's...

I guess 1st base is a good place to hide struggling fielders. Is that a true statement? Not that 1st base is simple, but I imagine it's easier to minimize errors at that position. _
    If Poirrier didn't have to throw the ball, he would have 2 errors instead of 39

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ It seems we need about 3 DH's...

I guess 1st base is a good place to hide struggling fielders. Is that a true statement? Not that 1st base is simple, but I imagine it's easier to minimize errors at that position. _
    I'm not sure if 1st base is simpler or not... but one thing I have noticed is that the right person at first can scoop some balls out of the dirt... or haul in an errant throw. That saves you some throwing errors. I think Phillip Hawk was great at that and Justin Robicheaux has a shortstop type glove, which is why he is so good at first.

I don't think that's really a true statement about being able to hide a poor fielder at first base. Most baseball teams will at least try to have a good fielder there. You can get away with a guy hitting his weight if he can make plays in the field to save your team runs. (And vice versa: You could get away with a poor fielder if he hits .350 with 20 HRs and 60 RBI.)

The worse thing possible is to have no offense and no defense at first base. It's still early, but the Cajuns need to get more at first base, both at the plate and in the field.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey... I mean Josh Parrott.

That was my inspiration.

I think to get more production at the plate you put Porrier back at 3rd and try Will at 1st. They both seem to be hitting it well. Then they can compete with each other for the most errors. Maybe it can help them both

I think Trask would be a good glove at 3rd, but he doesn't seem to be competing at the plate.

I know I defenitely like Bostick at 2nd. I don't care if he bats .200 with no power, he's got a descent OBP and is great on D.

If 3rd continues to be a problem, I'd put Keefer there and Adam Todd at catcher. I think Marvel supposed to be good behind the plate also.

It just seems like there are so many options everywhere we should we able to work this out.

P.S. Porrier had trouble throwing to 1st from 2nd two years ago and Long has struggled with the glove his whole career, so I can't say I'm shocked with the current situation.

I wonder why we didn't go and find a true 3rd baseman knowing Griff couldn't go back behind the dish

igeaux.mobi

I'd like to see Switz at third, Fontenot and Bostick in the middle and either Long or Porrier at first with the other in the DH spot.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    I'd like to see Switz at third, Fontenot and Bostick in the middle and either Long or Porrier at first with the other in the DH spot.
    Where does Bowman fit in these plans?

igeaux.mobi

_ I'd like to see Switz at third, Fontenot and Bostick in the middle and either Long or Porrier at first with the other in the DH spot.

igeaux.mobi _
    I like that idea, especially if Trask starts looking like a D-1 hitter.

That poses a good question. Do you let the hitter play through the errors or let a sound defender work through his hitting?

IMO, there is a fine line on how long u leave someone that's costing u errors. All I know is you can have too many of those guys killing your defense. Stay strong up the middle, and try to minnimize they mistakes on the corners. Hard to hide weak defenders. If it's the throwing errors and not the fielding, move one to first. But, I must say, it's hard to convert over to first and try to pick balls out the dirt. A good firstbaseman makes an average infielder look real good digging out bad throws.
    igeaux.mobi

I think you leave porrier at 3rd and play switz at 1st and brain in the outfield and DH long , let's see if switz can hit give him more then 3 games

All these judco players came in with all these great numbers and none of them can start.

Welcome to D-1 baseball

igeaux.mobi

igeaux.mobi

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    _ I like that idea, especially if Trask starts looking like a D-1 hitter.

That poses a good question. Do you let the hitter play through the errors or let a sound defender work through his hitting? _
    Back in the older days--we had twins that played for the Cajuns Len and Lionel Klienpeter---you are all probably ahead of me at this point---One hit and the other would play defense ---had the same number and it really worked well---Not really but a good thought---Does Long look like Porrier???lol

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Dad2 View Post
    _ I think you leave porrier at 3rd and play switz at 1st and brain in the outfield and DH long , let's see if switz can hit give him more then 3 games

All these judco players came in with all these great numbers and none of them can start.

Welcome to D-1 baseball
    How did the JCs play in the Fall?????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast