_ _ _ _
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Bob Marlin

Default Re: Bob Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Oh yes, word for word
    Wow. Looks like we're going to live or die behind the 3 point line

5-for-24

Could have focused on that in his press conference instead of saying this year is going to be hard because we're getting everyone's best shot.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Coach K and Coach Self get everyone's best shot
    Coach Bigfish not so much

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Coach K and Coach Self get everyone's best shot
    Coach Bigfish not so much
    He gets everyone's biggest fish and he bites every time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Wow. Looks like we're going to live or die behind the 3 point line

5-for-24

Could have focused on that in his press conference instead of saying this year is going to be hard because we're getting everyone's best shot.
    Come on, baw. Marlin's program is the standard by which all other SBC basketball programs are jealous of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Come on, baw. Marlin's program is the standard by which all other SBC basketball programs are jealous of.
    That's right. We got some haters up in this place.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

It's easier to find 3 point shooters than guys like Washington and Long. Jay brought up some interesting stats on his show today. Almost every winner was hitting three point attempts, and the losers were missing them at alarming rates, see Cajuns. Again when you're missing threes you're probably going to be on the lopsided end of rebound stats if your opponents hitting them.

Having an inside and outside game is of course ideal. You'll get lots of old fashioned three point opportunities, lots of rebounds, and probably the opponents get less breakaway opportunities.

ASU had 16 offensive rebounds. 16. This has nothing to do with how many shots we missed. We allowed them to destroy us on the offensive boards which gave them a huge advantage on second chance points. I didn't hear Jay's show but if he was trying to justify the rebounding differential, he's wrong when you are giving up that many offensive boards and you are outnumbering their rebounders in the paint.

Had we made more 3's, the game is closer and perhaps we win but I don't just chalk up the loss to "we weren't hitting our 3's either" When the shots are not falling, maybe its time to penetrate like we did earlier in the game and get the ball to the team's leading scorer or allow Stroman to continue to drive and dish or score?

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    ASU had 16 offensive rebounds. 16. This has nothing to do with how many shots we missed. We allowed them to destroy us on the offensive boards which gave them a huge advantage on second chance points. I didn't hear Jay's show but if he was trying to justify the rebounding differential, he's wrong when you are giving up that many offensive boards and you are outnumbering their rebounders in the paint.

Had we made more 3's, the game is closer and perhaps we win but I don't just chalk up the loss to "we weren't hitting our 3's either" When the shots are not falling, maybe its time to penetrate like we did earlier in the game and get the ball to the team's leading scorer or allow Stroman to continue to drive and dish or score?
    Wasn't justifying, he was saying that the reason we lost was rebound differential and 3-point scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Wasn't justifying, he was saying that the reason we lost was rebound differential and 3-point scoring.
    It is true but the rebounding differential is always an effort deal. We could have crashed the offensive glass like they did and possibly could have gotten better open opportunities from the outside at the least. Its been a trend at other times this year. When you are too reliant upon 3 point shooting and you are not making them, you have to do things differently.

I believe that is a consensus thought on this board.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    It is true but the rebounding differential is always an effort deal. We could have crashed the offensive glass like they did and possibly could have gotten better open opportunities from the outside at the least. Its been a trend at other times this year. When you are too reliant upon 3 point shooting and you are not making them, you have to do things differently.
    When they out-rebound you by 20 (46-26) with 16 on offense (to our 7) and are outscored by 15 from three pointers (AST 10-25 Cajuns 5-24) even turning them over 22 times to our 11 you can't overcome that large a disparity. I've heard some says we don't have rebounders, and I'll agree height can play a big part of that, but most NCAA teams these days are working with players from 6'5" to 6'9", and I was always taught that rebounding (like defense) was a technique and effort skill that can be taught.

Lucy, we got some learning to do, and have for quite a while (without Bryce & Shawn in the mix).

Lucy, we got some learning to do, and have for quite a while (without Bryce & Shawn in the mix).
    Perhaps it's just me, but I sometimes wonder, when I hear some of these comments, why we're in this position. Was losing Bryce and Shawn a surprise to the staff?

When they out-rebound you by 20 (46-26) with 16 on offense (to our 7) and are outscored by 15 from three pointers (AST 10-25 Cajuns 5-24) even turning them over 22 times to our 11 you can't overcome that large a disparity. I've heard some says we don't have rebounders, and I'll agree height can play a big part of that, but most NCAA teams these days are working with players from 6'5" to 6'9", and I was always taught that rebounding (like defense) was a technique and effort skill that can be taught.

Arkansas looked to be more athletic or at least had more swagger. I wouldn't say there was any height advantage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Perhaps it's just me, but I sometimes wonder, when I hear some of these comments, why we're in this position. Was losing Bryce and Shawn a surprise to the staff?
    That's my thing, a coach should be able to project and never find himself with the cupboard bare from the loss of 3 seniors.

Midseason losses cannot be planned for, there will always be a loss of continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    That's my thing, a coach should be able to project and never find himself with the cupboard bare from the loss of 3 seniors.

Midseason losses cannot be planned for, there will always be a loss of continuity.
    So you sayin the BIG FISH, can swim?

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Well the better coaches recruit better. Having recruited better means they also recruit for injuries as well as planned departures. I'm sure Bob will never admit he's had to take some drop down players. Additionally every single coach misses on some players. You've got to admit it and find a better fit for those young players so that you can replace them.

The issue is that we always hear how great our recruiting classes are. Yet, we never have depth. Imagine that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6