_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ga State vs Alabama basketball

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    At the same time you're no longer expecting great things from Marlin are you? We know him, and we'd rather that than the unknown.
    I think seasons like the one we had last year can occur more frequently than in the past due to the quality of players being brought in through recent recruiting. Unfortunately, injuries are impacting this year but we knew that before the first practice. Need to find a way to overcome those.

Default Re: Ga State vs Alabama basketball

As an athletic director, I would have to ask how it is that conference-mate team X (Ga State in this instance), can fairly consistently field a team that competes for the title and makes the NCAA playoffs......better facilities, spending more on the sport, more support from the top, richer recruiting environment, history, cheating, coaching, other?

There's got to be a reason. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I'm shocked that this didn't get more attention...
    It has. We've _____ed about this for weeks to Cajunsmike. We've been told that its done and _____ing about it will do no good and its not worth our time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Dr. Maggard thinks the world of Coach Marlin. I think that is because he knows how difficult it is to win and run a clean program in today's world of college basketball. I am sure he would disagree that he does not consider basketball a priority. I will tell you the great majority of basketball people I speak to around town support the current staff and many do strongly. I understand several folks who participate on this forum feel differently. Lack of signature wins is a main reason for that view so there is a basis for that opinion. World would be boring if we all agreed on everything. There would be no reason for boards like this were that the case. As far as why the extension was given now vs in March when a decision would have had to be made, none of us are sure why that occurred. Only thing we can figure is that it may have helped us in the early signing period that finished in November.
    I feel differently only when it comes to multi-year extensions (while still having multiple years left on current deal) for a man who has a career winning percentage here of 58% (that's with last year's great year), 1 regular season title and 1 NCAA appearance and 1 NIT. It seems like we jump at the chance to reward mediocrity when it comes to a schedule that often doesn't rank in the top 200

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I feel differently only when it comes to multi-year extensions (while still having multiple years left on current deal) for a man who has a career winning percentage here of 58% (that's with last year's great year), 1 regular season title and 1 NCAA appearance and 1 NIT. It seems like we jump at the chance to reward mediocrity when it comes to a schedule that often doesn't rank in the top 200
    Understand that viewpoint. What would you have done in this situation?

Blog Entries

Man, I respect your support of B Ball tremendously.. You remain calm and collected when we (me included) get frustrated at the factual overall success. By overall success I mean conference championships, NCAA appearances, etc). Your a die hard and its obvious you try to see the glass half full aspect. I respect that because you pull it off with class even though i lean on the Marlin has to step up post season success side asap.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Man, I respect your support of B Ball tremendously.. You remain calm and collected when we (me included) get frustrated at the factual overall success. By overall success I mean conference championships, NCAA appearances, etc). Your a die hard and its obvious you try to see the glass half full aspect. I respect that because you pull it off with class even though i lean on the Marlin has to step up post season success side asap.
    . From what I have seen so far this year, lots of work needs to be done before this group can pull that off. At times they show potential it could occur but it is not often enough. Turnovers have to be reduced and rebounding must improve. Shooting is also inconsistent but that is often because we pass up a good shot which later results in a turnover. In some ways that indicates an unselfish team but it can also show people needing more mental toughness to take the pressure shot.

I would change our overall approach to this program. I would do like what we're doing in football and other sports where excellence is sought and expected. Prior to last season, Marlin was under contract to 2019. That would have been 9 contract years but with a 55% win percentage, 1 NCAA and no conference titles. 9 Years of guaranteed money to someone with no significant success. That was a win percentage barely over 50% playing in a bad conference, an even worse home OOC schedule and only 2 money games per year. It seems that it would be hard to not win 19-20 games per year with that situation. Lastly, he had many more bad losses than any type of signature wins. Remember Jackson St, McNeese (multiple times), Lamar, Texas College etc..

I would change our overall approach to this program. I would do like what we're doing in football and other sports where excellence is sought and expected. Prior to last season, Marlin was under contract to 2019. That would have been 9 contract years but with a 55% win percentage, 1 NCAA and no conference titles. 9 Years of guaranteed money to someone with no significant success. That was a win percentage barely over 50% playing in a bad conference, an even worse home OOC schedule and only 2 money games per year. It seems that it would be hard to not win 19-20 games per year with that situation. Lastly, he had many more bad losses than any type of signature wins. Remember Jackson St, McNeese (multiple times), Lamar, Texas College etc..
    That is an overall philosophy change. My question was more to the point. What would you have specifically done in the current situation. Would you have waited until after this season to make a decision on an extension, would you have decided to not give an extension regardless of how the season turned out, or would you have planned to make a change after his contract ended in 2019 unless an NIT or NCAA bid were acquired.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Frankly, I'd have waited. Looks like we're going to have some opportunities to improve. That's code for we're not very good.

Frankly, I'd have waited. Looks like we're going to have some opportunities to improve. That's code for we're not very good.
    I probably would have waited until after the season as well. Perhaps a better deal could have been negotiated in March depending on how this season went.

That is an overall philosophy change. My question was more to the point. What would you have specifically done in the current situation. Would you have waited until after this season to make a decision on an extension, would you have decided to not give an extension regardless of how the season turned out, or would you have planned to make a change after his contract ended in 2019 unless an NIT or NCAA bid were acquired.
    I would have waited til the end of this season to begin the decision making process on an extension. I would have sat with Marlin and been very direct as to why I would be more patient in this process. He was under contract through the 2019-20 season. That's 2 full seasons of play left under the current contract. At some point, expectations and measurable success have to be in place as standards that warrant employment. Don't you think?

Damn right. He was under contract through 2019-20. There were two full seasons to go before his contract was up.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Through last year, Marlin was 54-86 against the top 200 RPI. 10-32 vs Top 100 and 44-54 vs 101-200.

If I were AD, he would have been told that if he did not turn in a winning record vs the top 200 this year, he would be allowed to resign or be fired.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I would have waited for the end of his contract and scheduled better. After WKU left this league we WERE the premier program in the Sun Belt. We proceeded to go 9 years without a winning record or something close to that.

If Marling doesn't get to the NIT or NCAA at a minimum 2 out of 5 years then he should not be retained.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I would have waited for the end of his contract and scheduled better. After WKU left this league we WERE the premier program in the Sun Belt. We proceeded to go 9 years without a winning record or something close to that.

If Marling doesn't get to the NIT or NCAA at a minimum 2 out of 5 years then he should not be retained.
    WKU left like 5 years ago. I don't recall having any losing seasons lately

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    WKU left like 5 years ago. I don't recall having any losing seasons lately
    54-86 vs top 200 RPI... 84-21 vs the dregs of D1. So no losing record, but very few good wins.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    54-86 vs top 200 RPI... 84-21 vs the dregs of D1. So no losing record, but very few good wins.
    I know the stats. They are posted here over and over again. I also know we haven't had 9 straight losing seasons. Not even close. Having said that, Bob needs to do a better job against good competition.

2010 14-15
    2011. 16-16
    2012. 13-20
    2013. 23-12
    2014. 22-14
    2015. 19-15
    2016. 21-12
    2017. 27-7

According to ragincajuns.com this is marlins record by year. I looked all the way back to 1990. Surprisingly we had 20 win seasons in 90-91-92. Then again in 01-02-03-04( 03-04 later vacated) never back to back in any other years.

Point is
    1 if marlins plan was to build from the ground up with the right players done the right way, then he's progressing.
    2 we have 20 win seasons 4 of the last 5( one win short in 15)
    That's the best stretch in 30 years. Only thing comes close was early 2000's (when we were cheating I guess).
    3 I grew up watching Cajuns as a kid in the 90's. I remember them being awesome year in and year out. Looking at the records, I was wrong. Ha ha
    4 I know the haters are going to say our schedules were tough and we were so much more competitive. It's really not the case. Schedule has sucked a long time.
    5 I'm not in love with the street ball offense we seem to run and the sloppy play, but it seems our athletic ability and talent overcome it more often than not. If our players were athletic and played less sloppy and ran complex offenses they would all be at bigger schools maybe.
    6 marlin is obviously doing the best he can and trying to do it while representing the university with class(mostly) and respect.
    7 so the program is in the best situation it's been in years. We had a record breaking year last year. Lost some key pieces and are on pace for another good year, maybe great maybe not, the talents there. I think we need to find the leadership we lost.
    8 so with all that said, maybe we are the problem. The never good enough crowd, always complaining. Instead of enjoying winning moments, waiting for Lucy to pull the ball.

A. How many enjoyed the run last year in conference and didn't look ahead?
    B. How many said conference sucks this year, who cares we better win in the NCAA?

If your answer is B, stop trying to enjoy sports!!! Your not cut out for it. Or go be an LSU fan. They seem to be miserable with all their success.

I sat and watched the game with my dad. We complained between ourselves with current in game issues, and on going. But enjoy every minute of it.

Anyone not happy with marlin should leave the dead horse alone. He's doing better than you think.

Rant off, this post was not toward anyone, but everyone.

Geaux Cajuns!!! Geaux big fish!!!

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    2010 14-15
    2011. 16-16
    2012. 13-20
    2013. 23-12
    2014. 22-14
    2015. 19-15
    2016. 21-12
    2017. 27-7

According to ragincajuns.com this is marlins record by year. I looked all the way back to 1990. Surprisingly we had 20 win seasons in 90-91-92. Then again in 01-02-03-04( 03-04 later vacated) never back to back in any other years.

Point is
    1 if marlins plan was to build from the ground up with the right players done the right way, then he's progressing.
    2 we have 20 win seasons 4 of the last 5( one win short in 15)
    That's the best stretch in 30 years. Only thing comes close was early 2000's (when we were cheating I guess).
    3 I grew up watching Cajuns as a kid in the 90's. I remember them being awesome year in and year out. Looking at the records, I was wrong. Ha ha
    4 I know the haters are going to say our schedules were tough and we were so much more competitive. It's really not the case. Schedule has sucked a long time.
    5 I'm not in love with the street ball offense we seem to run and the sloppy play, but it seems our athletic ability and talent overcome it more often than not. If our players were athletic and played less sloppy and ran complex offenses they would all be at bigger schools maybe.
    6 marlin is obviously doing the best he can and trying to do it while representing the university with class(mostly) and respect.
    7 so the program is in the best situation it's been in years. We had a record breaking year last year. Lost some key pieces and are on pace for another good year, maybe great maybe not, the talents there. I think we need to find the leadership we lost.
    8 so with all that said, maybe we are the problem. The never good enough crowd, always complaining. Instead of enjoying winning moments, waiting for Lucy to pull the ball.

A. How many enjoyed the run last year in conference and didn't look ahead?
    B. How many said conference sucks this year, who cares we better win in the NCAA?

If your answer is B, stop trying to enjoy sports!!! Your not cut out for it. Or go be an LSU fan. They seem to be miserable with all their success.

I sat and watched the game with my dad. We complained between ourselves with current in game issues, and on going. But enjoy every minute of it.

Anyone not happy with marlin should leave the dead horse alone. He's doing better than you think.

Rant off, this post was not toward anyone, but everyone.

Geaux Cajuns!!! Geaux big fish!!!
    +1

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast