_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    2,610

    Default Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    This one arose out of Miami's cancellation of game they were to play last year in Jonesboro.

    "UM and Arkansas State quietly settled dueling lawsuits this week that stemmed from the Hurricanes canceling a road game against ASU last season because of Hurricane Irma, according to multiple sources.

    According to a source, UM will pay ASU $400,000 well under the $650,000 it would have cost UM in a buyout to cancel the game. UM believed it would have cost close to $400,000 with legal fees and other costs had the matter not been resolved, so that's why UM settled at that amount.

    But the settlement does not include any future games between the teams.

    ASU wanted the Hurricanes to play there, but UM declined after the lawsuits were filed.

    Some believe Arkansas State officials were insensitive in their handling of the matter as a hurricane barreled in on South Florida last September, so UM appeared disinclined to play a future game there."

    https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...221314905.html


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,253

    Default Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    Ark state easily lost a couple of million on this game I would be pizzed if i were the AD


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    2,610

    Default Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Ark state easily lost a couple of million on this game I would be pizzed if i were the AD
    What's odd, is that as the article states, Arky State settled for the $400,000, well under the $650,000, a buyout of the game would have cost UM.

    I guess the question I would ask is, why initiate a lawsuit against UM unless you're prepared to get something significantly better than the $650,000 buyout or cancellation? Toss in what Arky State already spent on the lawsuit, by agreeing to this amount, they look like hogs led to slaughter.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,206

    Default Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    What's odd, is that as the article states, Arky State settled for the $400,000, well under the $650,000, a buyout of the game would have cost UM.

    I guess the question I would ask is, why initiate a lawsuit against UM unless you're prepared to get something significantly better than the $650,000 buyout or cancellation? Toss in what Arky State already spent on the lawsuit, by agreeing to this amount, they look like hogs led to slaughter.
    No they don't. Miami didn't want to pay a dime, claiming the hurricane was beyond their control and thus voided the contract. They also refused to reschedule the game within a reasonable amount of time. Miami was just trying to get out of playing in Jonesboro without having to pay any buyout. But only after already getting their home game in Miami. ASU may not have gotten everything they deserved, but $400,000 is better than $0.00!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,922

    Default Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    What's odd, is that as the article states, Arky State settled for the $400,000, well under the $650,000, a buyout of the game would have cost UM.

    I guess the question I would ask is, why initiate a lawsuit against UM unless you're prepared to get something significantly better than the $650,000 buyout or cancellation? Toss in what Arky State already spent on the lawsuit, by agreeing to this amount, they look like hogs led to slaughter.
    Possibly during the process they were getting the feeling through the process that they may not win the suit at all. Sometimes something is better than nothing.

  6. #6
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,978

    UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    It's not unusual for attorneys to say we've got a great case only to recommend settlement. They generally hate to let the jurors, or judge decide. Happened to me often in the insurance business. Actually never had one who said let's go to trial. Of course they'd already made a boatload of money preparing for a trial they never expected to go through to the end.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    2,610

    Default Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Miami didn't want to pay a dime, claiming the hurricane was beyond their control and thus voided the contract. They also refused to reschedule the game within a reasonable amount of time. Miami was just trying to get out of playing in Jonesboro without having to pay any buyout. But only after already getting their home game in Miami. ASU may not have gotten everything they deserved, but $400,000 is better than $0.00!
    If that was the case, then I stand corrected. I'd have sued as well, though the bastard in me would have probably hung on for even more.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,318
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Arky State and Miami settle their lawsuit

    What Arkansas State eventually received was basically an appearance fee.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •