_ _ _ _
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
Results 181 to 194 of 194

Thread: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    If we stay healthy we have an excellent chance to do so. The two Georgia teams will give us challenges. Last night Georgia Southern won on the road against a CUSA school, don't recall the exact opponent they went against.
    They beat Florida Atlantic 80-70

  2. #182
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,979

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    App State was within four with a minute vs unranked Witchata St. Lil Rock got hammered by #6 Nevada and Mr. Brown.


  3. #183
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    762

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    If we stay healthy we have an excellent chance to do so. The two Georgia teams will give us challenges. Last night Georgia Southern won on the road against a CUSA school, don't recall the exact opponent they went against.
    Speaking of health, is Gladney still dealing with concussion issues or have they decided to redshirt him?

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We got some Miller haters. Kids 4/13. That's a third. There's a 200 plus thread about if it's better to hit 50% from inside the 3 point line or is 1/3 beyond the same.

    Miller is a streak shooter. I'm comfortable with him shooting 3's especially open ones. I'm much more concerned when he's bound and determined to shoot those covered shots in the paint.

    Big Fish will reel Miller in when Big Fish feels he's hurting the effort.
    No hate of Miller from me...He's aggressive and I've always liked it. I do think that he gets ahead of himself sometime with the 3 as far as knowing when to pull back. He definitely was rolling in the 1st...I'm looking forward to watching these guys in the upcoming tournament.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Game plan last night was for the bigs to shoot the open perimeter shot. Coaches did not want them thinking about it too much. When you do that, you are sure to struggle. I think he got out of rhythm with the foul situation. That is when he let some go without his feet square. I know all about that as I have missed thousands of shots after I don't square up. Justin did have a couple in the second half rim in and out on him so I have no problem with his play last night. I would have liked us to go to zone in the second half when the Jayhawks began having success inside.
    That makes sense. Legs get tired, foot starts dragging, stop squaring up and start lunging. Been there.

  6. #186
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,263

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs Kansas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I know we got over 90 grand to go to Clemson last year. I don't know for sure but I think amounts are similar for two guarantee games this year. Let's say we get 185. We are paying around 150 for the games against Southern, Prairie View, and the two non D1 games. We will make a profit this year with the scheduling arrangement. I believe expenses are paid for the Florida trip so we should break even there. The other games against state schools are part of home and home series. I think all three of the road games will be challenging. It is always tough at UNO while McNeese has a new coach and they appear to be making progress with the players they have brought in. SLU was one of the better teams in the SLC last year and they are itching to get us at their place. Finally, LA Tech beat Wichita State earlier in the week and gave LSU all they wanted tonight before losing by 7. When the season ends, our RPI won't suffer much due to the non conference schedule and the new format will give us some credit for playing competitively at Kansas tonight.
    One more point about finances, we did come out ahead financially with our two guarantee games vs paying folks to come here. However, compared to the past that is a loss. We usually keep virtually all our guarantee game money as we pay about 15 grand to the non D1 schools to come here. We then try to fill in the schedule with home and home opponents. We were unable to do that this year so we are paying 2 decent SWAC teams to come here. Paying 120 plus grand to Southern and Prairie View is indicative that the administration was willing to help the program. I don't recall us paying any D1 program to come here since the Marty Fletcher days. We did pay Savannah State last year some but that was tied into the Caymans Classic so it is not a fair comparison.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Iberia Parish
    Posts
    2,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    A little quick math gives 1 point per 3 point attempt. He also was 3-4 on 2 point attempts and a perfect 4-4 in free throws. Adding it all up gives us 1.1 points every time he shot the ball last night. I'll take it. Would 6-12 be better? Sure; but complaining about a kid averaging 1.1 point per attempt is reaching pretty far.
    I like that stat; PPA, points per attempt. Yours?

  8. #188
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,263

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    Speaking of health, is Gladney still dealing with concussion issues or have they decided to redshirt him?
    They are still hopeful Gladney can contribute this year.

  9. #189
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,888

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    I like that stat; PPA, points per attempt. Yours?
    I have seen it used before, but not often. Seems like a good way to measure a player's offensive effectiveness.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,922

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    This was the type of game when those who are critical of Marlin (myself included) over the years of not competing with better programs can see something building. The expectation to go on the road and beat somebody like KU is not really logical but to be able to go in and compete is what we as fans want to see, especially when we have some of our better teams in recent memory put together. Way to go Cajuns!


  11. #191
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    883

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    The plan before the game was to shoot more than usual from three point range, which made sense considering their inside game.

    Justin was red hot in the first half. Most of his 3 point attempts were either straight on or just to the left of the key. With about two minutes left in the first half, he took one from the left wing and missed badly. He didn't make another one the rest of the night.

    As good as Vick (#24) was and as good as Azubuike (#35) is, the guy who killed us was Lawson #1. He had most of his points in the second half and second chance points as well. He's the transfer from Memphis who probably was the biggest reason Kansas was preseason #1.

    Also, remember DeSouza is not playing right now while they rule on his eligibility. He's the player in question that has Self in the FBI crosshairs.

    Right now, I think Tennessee is actually better than Kansas. I make that observation based on Kansas starting two freshmen in the back court while UT has veterans. In March it might be different.

    And, to answer someone's question. This was the first time Marlin has faced Self. He did play Texas when Barnes was there.

    It was remarked after VT stayed with KU that the reason they did was because they had a coach.

    Gee, maybe we do, too.


  12. #192
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,263

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    Big game today. Need to take what they did well at Kansas and build.


  13. #193
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,922

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    No hate of Miller from me...He's aggressive and I've always liked it. I do think that he gets ahead of himself sometime with the 3 as far as knowing when to pull back. He definitely was rolling in the 1st...I'm looking forward to watching these guys in the upcoming tournament.
    He's aggressive offensively.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,922

    Default Re: MBB G3 Final: Louisiana 76, Kansas 89

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    The plan before the game was to shoot more than usual from three point range, which made sense considering their inside game.

    Justin was red hot in the first half. Most of his 3 point attempts were either straight on or just to the left of the key. With about two minutes left in the first half, he took one from the left wing and missed badly. He didn't make another one the rest of the night.

    As good as Vick (#24) was and as good as Azubuike (#35) is, the guy who killed us was Lawson #1. He had most of his points in the second half and second chance points as well. He's the transfer from Memphis who probably was the biggest reason Kansas was preseason #1.

    Also, remember DeSouza is not playing right now while they rule on his eligibility. He's the player in question that has Self in the FBI crosshairs.

    Right now, I think Tennessee is actually better than Kansas. I make that observation based on Kansas starting two freshmen in the back court while UT has veterans. In March it might be different.

    And, to answer someone's question. This was the first time Marlin has faced Self. He did play Texas when Barnes was there.

    It was remarked after VT stayed with KU that the reason they did was because they had a coach.

    Gee, maybe we do, too.
    You are right. There's a first time for everything. Now lets go out and build on recent performances.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •