_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Disappointment, so far

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    My biggest disappointment by far is us, the UL fan and student base not supporting this program. No problem on the team comes close to our ill placed ego about our conference, or place in the NCAA world.

Nobody with an once of football IQ thought we had the talent numbers to compete. It's fine to say we're tired of the past, but not supporting isn't going to help.
    Coach Napier addressed this again at today's QB Club. He is not too concerned about the support issue yet. Said we have done little at this point to get anyone excited. Personally I agree with CajunExpress. The decline in support has disappointed me. I understand there are many reasons contributing to it such as the stagnant economy. Just because I somewhat understand the issue does not mean I am mot disappointed. As Express said, the team and staff are giving their all to improve and a solid foundation is being laid for future success. They are even putting more resources into things like helping prepare for life after football as the NFL will not come calling for many. Former running back Effrem Reid is leading that effort in a new community relations role.

Default Re: Biggest Disappointment, so far

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I'm a firm believer in light lifting to maintain strength during the season. Keyword on light. I've seen many teams lose games in the weight room during the week.
    I would argue that it is not the amount of weight (intensity), but stress (intensity plus volume plus frequency) that can have an effect on performance due to fatigue. I know many that lift in sports season with high weight and intensity but lower volume and lower frequency and are never sore and can still perform at a high level without fatigue. It is really all about how much stress your body can handle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    The same is true with strength and majority of guys on a football field use their strength just as much as speed..the trenches more than anyone. Working out doesn't make your hands hard either, makes them strong..which is exactly what WR's need.
    Soft hands in a wide receiver is a metaphor for 'catches everything thrown their way' nothing bounces off.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Soft hands in a wide receiver is a metaphor for 'catches everything thrown their way' nothing bounces off.
    Receivers with "hard" hands are called DB's...You want your WR's to have strong hands...soft hands is more having feel for the ball, similar to a QB who can put touch on the ball...but you still want a strong armed QB with good touch on his throws

Blog Entries

Receivers with "hard" hands are called DB's...You want your WR's to have strong hands...soft hands is more having feel for the ball, similar to a QB who can put touch on the ball...but you still want a strong armed QB with good touch on his throws
    Quit agreeing with me, I haven't developed those coping skills yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Coach Napier addressed this again at today's QB Club. He is not too concerned about the support issue yet. Said we have done little at this point to get anyone excited. Personally I agree with CajunExpress. The decline in support has disappointed me. I understand there are many reasons contributing to it such as the stagnant economy. Just because I somewhat understand the issue does not mean I am mot disappointed. As Express said, the team and staff are giving their all to improve and a solid foundation is being laid for future success. They are even putting more resources into things like helping prepare for life after football as the NFL will not come calling for many. Former running back Effrem Reid is leading that effort in a new community relations role.
    Thanks for sharing Napier's thoughts. Frankly, I was shocked with attendance at the last game and it is the biggest disappointment this year. I think the administration is going down the wrong path, but I would love to be wrong in this instance. My family has had the same tailgate spot for a long time and I cannot remember a worse atmosphere outside and inside the stadium. I sure hope this plan of reprogramming casual fans to pay big bucks to see SBC sports works.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Thanks for sharing Napier's thoughts. Frankly, I was shocked with attendance at the last game and it is the biggest disappointment this year. I think the administration is going down the wrong path, but I would love to be wrong in this instance. My family has had the same tailgate spot for a long time and I cannot remember a worse atmosphere outside and inside the stadium. I sure hope this plan of reprogramming casual fans to pay big bucks to see SBC sports works.
    Those people hired to be nutritionist, director of on campus recruiting, and to help guys prepare for life after football come at a cost. Plan is that those extra steps will result in a greatly improved product. When that day comes will more people be willing to jump back in at the increased cost? That is a question I cannot answer. Metry, your Dad was At the QB Club today. Give him a call and he can fill you in on more of this stuff and what else was discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    You are not even close to the only one with the same sentiments. People are beginning to not want to go and are not going because other people are not there. The total atmosphere was not fun at all last year and other things have made it not fun this year. They jumped the gun on skinning the sheep (as opposed to sheering) and the good that is happening on the field is not getting the benefit it should because many are not there to contribute to the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    My biggest disappointment by far is us, the UL fan and student base not supporting this program. No problem on the team comes close to our ill placed ego about our conference, or place in the NCAA world.

Nobody with an once of football IQ thought we had the talent numbers to compete. It's fine to say we're tired of the past, but not supporting isn't going to help.
    Spoke to coaches at the 1st coaches show they projected 8-4 record costal was circled as a win so hopefully they are only 1 game off

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Those people hired to be nutritionist, director of on campus recruiting, and to help guys prepare for life after football come at a cost. Plan is that those extra steps will result in a greatly improved product. When that day comes will more people be willing to jump back in at the increased cost? That is a question I cannot answer. Metry, your Dad was At the QB Club today. Give him a call and he can fill you in on more of this stuff and what else was discussed.
    I don't think some people will ever come back no matter the record with the added cost. That's why getting students onboard now is so important to back fill those that are not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I don't think some people will ever come back no matter the record with the added cost. That's why getting students onboard now is so important to back fill those that are not coming back.
    The students aren't coming back until the atmosphere at Cajun Field changes. We've turned the game day experience into something that just isn't fun for them anymore and they're simply spending their Saturdays doing things they enjoy more.

My biggest disappointment so far : fan attendance.

I think Napier and his staff are doing the best they can with the time he's been here and the stable of players he has. I believe he will get better talent here in the coming years and make even bigger improvements.

In our offense the QB is the last line of defense, by the time the QB has let us down..everyone in front of him already has. I get it, it's easy to watch the QB and decide what he did or didn't do or should have done but nobody knows when the receiver went 2 yards too deep into his route or the guard missed his assignment..the QB is seeing the play get busted in front of him bc the QB and the Center are usually the only 2 people who know where everyone is supposed to go. Takes a special player to have everything going wrong in front of him and keep poise, that's what makes great QB's great. It probably would have been better if JD had left before spring, people forget he took away a lot of reps from Nunez and Lewis in the spring. I guess a simpler way to put it, outside of miss state and Alabama, going into every game i thought having Nunez back there gave us a chance...i haven't felt that way since broadway.
    The App State and Troy game, not Alabama and MS State, he got flustered and made mistakes. I gave examples, in particular the Troy game where everyone was doing their job. The OL was doing just fine. There was a pocket, there was time but Nunez just caved in and got too impatient. He got sacked because he was moving in the pocket when he didn't need to but didn't take off to escape it. You remember the play on the left when he had a minimum of 15 yards of open space ahead of him and he hesitated and let the DE who was being blocked sack him? Just saying these are things on him.They are somewhat disappointing for a senior. Again, that position is better than its been the last couple of years but based on the factors mentioned earlier, I had hoped he would have been a little further along in the smaller aspects of the game that would allow him to be more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    The students aren't coming back until the atmosphere at Cajun Field changes. We've turned the game day experience into something that just isn't fun for them anymore and they're simply spending their Saturdays doing things they enjoy more.
    They came to the first 2 home games in droves.

Moving tailgate back to CF (keep U.P from harassing tailgaters) & moving the section back to the 50 will help tremendously.

Exactly and light is relative term depending on the person and their weight room habits.
    Its all based off of 1RM. Higher reps, less sets with moderate frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Just because it isn't measurable or even noticeable does not mean there isn't teardown. There is a reason some recommend alternate day scheduling.

Believe me, it never happened to that extent again.
    Its all based on overload principle which is why the 1RM is used to determine the workout. At that intensity (40-60% 1RM), as long as your sets and duration are moderated, there is not as much breakdown for which to repair.

The ONLY disappointment is fan attendance. This team and staff have already exceeded expectations as far as I'm concerned.

See y'all at Cajun Field! Let's GEAUX, CAJUNS!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan View Post
    Student/Fan attendance.

/end thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Students are responsible for creating atmosphere and traditions. Go to any big program and it's the students leading the way on the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Its all based on overload principle which is why the 1RM is used to determine the workout. At that intensity (40-60% 1RM), as long as your sets and duration are moderated, there is not as much breakdown for which to repair.
    I've always been a bigger fan of the RPE model for determining intensity rather than 1RM. Mostly because your 1RM likely fluctuates through a training block. RPE helps match that fluctuation and variability. I defintely agree with you that overload principle should be applied to athletes in season as long as stress and fatigue are gauged and managed properly. Anyway, I feel like this is thread jacking and we could probably have a fun discussion on this elsewhere. Like at a pub!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast