_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Students Only

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Students Only

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog308 View Post
    I don't think it's too late to try any of this before the season is up. It's probably a good time to test out ideas to make them even better for next year. Hell, I'd love to see a 75 yard simulated punt for a student to win $500. I think one year during the Bustle years they gave away a car at the last home game. You could require each student to scan in their ID at EVERY home game for a chance to win. That way you have another way of getting students in the stands every home game. I mean, why not?! The dealership would write it off as a donation anyway. I'm full of ideas...
    Give someone in Athletic Administration a call. They probably would make time to have a meeting with you to discuss some of your proposals.

Should have a point system for students for attending athletic events. U get "X" amount of points per game attended...every sport. At the end of the semister points are added up and placed into some sort of a tier system. If you reach "X" amount of points you get "X" discount on the following semister tuition. If you reach "Y" amount of points you get "Y" discount on tuition....so on and so forth. Obviously there would need to be a cap on the discount in order for it to not negatively affect the university.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Yeah, If it wasn't clear I was saying the Sun Belt should put their foot down.
    You weren't clear but I'm glad we clarified that. Even so, the point stays the same. The SBC does not have any say in what commercials are played, duration of them just like they don't really set the game days and times with TV schedules. You also mentioned that : "They want us for the content, not to sell commercials". I don't think that is correct to be honest. The average consumer out there is not going to tune in to UL and NMSU. It will be the fans that purchase those games. Commercials are where they get their revenue, not necessarily the product. At least not at our level.

Until this year with ESPN+ I have never had commercials, it always showed the espn screen that read "your program is at a commercial break" Not sure how they sell that.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Until this year with ESPN+ I have never had commercials, it always showed the espn screen that read "your program is at a commercial break" Not sure how they sell that.
    I didn't have ESPN+ last year since it only launched in April but on ESPN 3, the games would have both, commercial break notices and commercials. The conferences spend money pushing their conference commercials at that time plus they would always have commercials similar to the Cam Newton one that just plays all the time right now on +.

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Give someone in Athletic Administration a call. They probably would make time to have a meeting with you to discuss some of your proposals.
    On the car or truck give away, I don't think the dealer loose any money except for the insurance they purchase if some one wins the car or truck. They buy a policy covering if someone wins. I think that's what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You weren't clear but I'm glad we clarified that. Even so, the point stays the same. The SBC does not have any say in what commercials are played, duration of them just like they don't really set the game days and times with TV schedules. You also mentioned that : "They want us for the content, not to sell commercials". I don't think that is correct to be honest. The average consumer out there is not going to tune in to UL and NMSU. It will be the fans that purchase those games. Commercials are where they get their revenue, not necessarily the product. At least not at our level.
    I disagree 2/3rds of ESPN's revenue comes from subscriber fees. Ad revenue makes up most of the other 1/3rd, but the amount of money they make selling ads on ESPN+ for Sun Belt games is almost certainly less than 1% of that 1/3rd.

ESPN created ESPN+ to make money off subscriptions because that's how ESPN makes its money. They want enough content on that platform that everyone who cares to watch sports will subscribe to it.

"The SBC does not have any say in what commercials are played, duration of them just like they don't really set the game days and times with TV schedules."

No, the SBC actually has full control over it. They give their control up to ESPN when they sign the contract. There's nothing stopping them from negotiating shorter and/or fewer tv timeouts into the next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I didn't have ESPN+ last year since it only launched in April but on ESPN 3, the games would have both, commercial break notices and commercials. The conferences spend money pushing their conference commercials at that time plus they would always have commercials similar to the Cam Newton one that just plays all the time right now on +.
    Now that you say i do remember Sun Belt Conference commercials on espn 3 but don't remember paid advertising type commercials until + this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    On the car or truck give away, I don't think the dealer loose any money except for the insurance they purchase if some one wins the car or truck. They buy a policy covering if someone wins. I think that's what I heard.
    Yep...same for million dollar hole-in-one challenges

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I've alway had some commercials on Watch, and III. I have also seen dead air on the + while obviously there is something going on, just not in the + because it is a closed audience.

Blog Entries

Default Re: No mention of game on campus

Student support at athletic events had suffered ever since the school started encouraging students to get out of town at noon on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Student support at athletic events had suffered ever since the school started encouraging students to get out of town at noon on Friday.
    If we played that Thursday game like you suggested . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    If we played that Thursday game like you suggested . . .
    Thursday is the new Friday.

Which make Friday ...

None of that stops students from driving back to Cajun Field for the game. Most of these kids are still doing things on Saturday night, and most of them are doing it in Lafayette.

The bottom line is that right now they don't have a reason to come or a reason to care.
    yup....got to have a winning program....we don't...simple as that...

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by olhardhead View Post
    yup....got to have a winning program....we don't...simple as that...
    That is understood. Concern is that if we are 6 and 3 at this time next year, support won't be much different.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We're not getting anywhere close to 300K from ESPN. Also the teams could sell their streaming to their own fans. The teams are essentially swapping dollars with ESPN + contract. The Cajuns could contact with Cox and get better actual cable coverage in our recruiting footprint.
    yup we could and we'd have six people watching it..

prolly not

I disagree 2/3rds of ESPN's revenue comes from subscriber fees. Ad revenue makes up most of the other 1/3rd, but the amount of money they make selling ads on ESPN+ for Sun Belt games is almost certainly less than 1% of that 1/3rd.

ESPN created ESPN+ to make money off subscriptions because that's how ESPN makes its money. They want enough content on that platform that everyone who cares to watch sports will subscribe to it.

"The SBC does not have any say in what commercials are played, duration of them just like they don't really set the game days and times with TV schedules."

No, the SBC actually has full control over it. They give their control up to ESPN when they sign the contract. There's nothing stopping them from negotiating shorter and/or fewer tv timeouts into the next contract.
    And you know this how? Also, prior to last year, ESPN 3 was free. How were they generating revenue with free admission? Also, at $5 per month, I don't think the subscriber fees are really pushing the bottom line. Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Should have a point system for students for attending athletic events. U get "X" amount of points per game attended...every sport. At the end of the semister points are added up and placed into some sort of a tier system. If you reach "X" amount of points you get "X" discount on the following semister tuition. If you reach "Y" amount of points you get "Y" discount on tuition....so on and so forth. Obviously there would need to be a cap on the discount in order for it to not negatively affect the university.
    I like this idea but you can't tie it to academics or tuition (IMHO) but it could be tied to a commercial venture; discounts at a store, etc.

Look, here's how all this works...ESPN+ as you said, gets a large amount on the subscription fees, possible a share agreement with SunBelt, but doubtful. ESPN supports and maintains the streaming platforms, IT, etc.

Cajun Lierfied guys sell the ads. As part of the Lierfield "Network", there are commercials insterted from large, regional and national advertisers, like Bud Lite.

As far as ad sales and formats...per the game. Total cost of game broadcast x 6 = gross revenue per game needed. 6 is the most common multiplier, at least where I've been, 4x cost is the least. Your looking to make 6 times the cost. That's your baseline amount...How many commercials need to be a part of the game format x the rate per commercial (what the market will pay) to hit the gross revenue number. Normally, you end up with around 40 avails per game, they can be :30's, :15's 10's as far as a spot length. In general, that's how it works. How the game is formated, (when spots air) is just math. Need more revenue, add a spot, need less (never happens) take one away. Due to game conditions, the format can move up or down depending on need. Its about nothing more than getting to the gross revenue # to cover expenses and make$

In September ESPN+ had over a million subscribers. That is 60 mil plus a year right out of the gate. I would imagine the powers that be at ESPN are very pleased with this type of very early success.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast