_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Students Only

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Students Only

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog308 View Post
    My family was in from Texas this weekend for family day for my niece's sorority. They left at halftime. The reason why? They thought it was boring. And they love football. I asked exactly what was boring. Their reply? Everything. Now don't go bashing my fam, but I couldn't help but wonder why the problem even extends way past the students. Something isn't right and we all smell the stank.

A lot of the entertainment value of being at a game is the fun of being in an excited crowd. Now I'm not saying our fans are failing to be loud and proud, but it's hard to be loud and proud then for every group of 3-5 fans we've got a bunch of unoccupied sold seats. We are the enemy.

IMO the replay board isn't doing a good job of showing our replays. We have a quick replay with usually only one far away view. Maybe we don't have the cameras or technical ability to show more and different views, but it would be better than some of the nonsense they put on that board.

More than anything, the ridiculous amount of commercials is killing the atmosphere. There are 20 commercial breaks in a college football game. That's 30-40 minutes where we sit there and watch players we paid to see play do absolutely nothing. And I don't care who you are, you can't make 30 minutes of video content to keep fans interested and engaged during the breaks. And BTW, Sun Belt schools make peanuts from TV anyway. I'd love to see the next commissioner put his foot down and take back control of his games from ESPN. It isn't worth it.

There are a lot of RCAF members in that stadium who have given a lot of money to try and build something big here. They need to realize that they also need to take a leadership role in building a big time atmosphere in the stadium. The students simply aren't showing up to do it. We need them chanting, we need them yelling, we need them on their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    More than anything, the ridiculous amount of commercials is killing the atmosphere. There are 20 commercial breaks in a college football game. That's 30-40 minutes where we sit there and watch players we paid to see play do absolutely nothing. And I don't care who you are, you can't make 30 minutes of video content to keep fans interested and engaged during the breaks. And BTW, Sun Belt schools make peanuts from TV anyway. I'd love to see the next commissioner put his foot down and take back control of his games from ESPN. It isn't worth it.

There are a lot of RCAF members in that stadium who have given a lot of money to try and build something big here. They need to realize that they also need to take a leadership role in building a big time atmosphere in the stadium. The students simply aren't showing up to do it. We need them chanting, we need them yelling, we need them on their feet.
    Don't kids yourself, SBC schools make a lot of money towards their budgets from TV revenue. Yes it is peanuts compared to other schools, but the average SBC school's budget is peanuts compared to others. If you cutout digital revenue from ANY conference, the prices to the game day attendee would skyrocket, to keep the same product on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Its like we talked about the other day...our football program has zero tradition. No chants that bring the stadium together, the band doesn't have anything that brings the crowd alive, and we keeping trying to create traditions. The best traditions are organic and happen over time. We have the band trying to get one side of the stadium to yell ragin, while the other side does Cajun, meanwhile the entire stadium is empty. It is corny and embarrassing.
    I hate to say it, but nowadays, everybody wants something for free. I know recently there was the shirt give away for the first 1K students, but it needs to be more than that. I remember when I was a student I went to every football and basketball game. For basketball, each half, there was an opportunity for a student to be picked by the guy manning the spotlight, to shoot a 3 pointer for $100. If that student didn't make it, the total tallied up until somebody did. Yours truly was picked when the pot was $800 and I drained it. I think I had $30 in my bank account at the time. It's something I'll never forget. That's the kinds of things we need for football. Do the same thing except for field goals, idk. Have a contest for students each quarter, with the next quarter having an attempt at a bigger prize to win. For example, end of 1st quarter, throw a football at target, hit the bullseye and get a $100 gift certficate somewhere. 2nd quarter, 20 yd field goal attempt for a $200 prize.....and so on. Make them stay til the end of the 4th quarter for something really big, especially if our team can use the extra crowd noise.
    If you have a pot that grows, like from the missed 20-25 yard field goal attempts, the students will talk about that big prize they hope they get picked for. Word of mouth is your biggest advertiser
    Last edited by Corndog308; October 30th, 2018 at 01:57 pm. Reason: Forgot to expand my reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Don't kids yourself, SBC schools make a lot of money towards their budgets from TV revenue. Yes it is peanuts compared to other schools, but the average SBC school's budget is peanuts compared to others. If you cutout digital revenue from ANY conference, the prices to the game day attendee would skyrocket, to keep the same product on the field.
    I'm pretty sure we're making about $300,000-$400,000 a year from ESPN. That's big money, but it isn't life changing money for any school. And the thing about ESPN is that a large majority of its money comes from cable subscribers and ESPN+ subscribers, not commercials. They want us for the content, not to sell commercials.

With all that said, our product would still have close to the same value (and we'd make close to the same amount of money) if we reduced the length or number of commercial breaks. I truly believe that most schools would make up the small amount of lost TV revenue with their ticket/attendance revenue.

And of course there are plenty of different ways to advertise on TV during a game without actually stopping play that could help make up for that lost revenue.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm pretty sure we're making about $300,000-$400,000 a year from ESPN. That's big money, but it isn't life changing money for any school. And the thing about ESPN is that a large majority of its money comes from cable subscribers and ESPN+ subscribers, not commercials. They want us for the content, not to sell commercials.

With all that said, our product would still have close to the same value (and we'd make close to the same amount of money) if we reduced the length or number of commercial breaks. I truly believe that most schools would make up the small amount of lost TV revenue with their ticket/attendance revenue.

And of course there are plenty of different ways to advertise on TV during a game without actually stopping play that could help make up for that lost revenue.
    The conference makes those decisions. Changes involve more than UL. I do agree with you in that some people stay home due to the length of games however. How about shortening the timeout period but still have some. Possible compromise the league and networks may consider.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Students Only

With all that said, our product would still have close to the same value (and we'd make close to the same amount of money) if we reduced the length or number of commercial breaks. I truly believe that most schoolis would make up the small amount of lost TV revenue with their ticket/attendance revenue.

We're not getting anywhere close to 300K from ESPN. Also the teams could sell their streaming to their own fans. The teams are essentially swapping dollars with ESPN + contract. The Cajuns could contact with Cox and get better actual cable coverage in our recruiting footprint.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We're not getting anywhere close to 300K from ESPN. Also the teams could sell their streaming to their own fans. The teams are essentially swapping dollars with ESPN + contract. The Cajuns could contact with Cox and get better actual cable coverage in our recruiting footprint.
    Sell the streaming in house.

When the user logs in he or she punches in how many are watching.

Louisiana counts viewers as being in attendance.

ps Universities count online students as students, why not count direct pay viewers as viewers?

I'm a 30 year vet of TV time sales, you guys will have to pay me before I debunk this....

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I'm a 30 year vet of TV time sales, you guys will have to pay me before I debunk this....
    We will just get Boomer, he is free.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Then let me have it. A lot of people around here would love to watch me get set straight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I got that number from this article. Do you have another source?
    https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...l-in-with.html

I hate to say it, but nowadays, everybody wants something for free. I know recently there was the shirt give away for the first 1K students, but it needs to be more than that. I remember when I was a student I went to every football and basketball game. For basketball, each half, there was an opportunity for a student to be picked by the guy manning the spotlight, to shoot a 3 pointer for $100. If that student didn't make it, the total tallied up until somebody did. Yours truly was picked when the pot was $800 and I drained it. I think I had $30 in my bank account at the time. It's something I'll never forget. That's the kinds of things we need for football. Do the same thing except for field goals, idk. Have a contest for students each quarter, with the next quarter having an attempt at a bigger prize to win. For example, end of 1st quarter, throw a football at target, hit the bullseye and get a $100 gift certficate somewhere. 2nd quarter, 20 yd field goal attempt for a $200 prize.....and so on. Make them stay til the end of the 4th quarter for something really big, especially if our team can use the extra crowd noise.
    If you have a pot that grows, like from the missed 20-25 yard field goal attempts, the students will talk about that big prize they hope they get picked for. Word of mouth is your biggest advertiser
    100% agree with you...I've said that before, do a throw/punt/kick challenge... or copy the saints & get a pitching machine out there for punt catching challenge...ANYTHING other than music and ads on the big board to kill time between possessions and quarters

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    100% agree with you...I've said that before, do a throw/punt/kick challenge... or copy the saints & get a pitching machine out there for punt catching challenge...ANYTHING other than music and ads on the big board to kill time between possessions and quarters
    I don't think it's too late to try any of this before the season is up. It's probably a good time to test out ideas to make them even better for next year. Hell, I'd love to see a 75 yard simulated punt for a student to win $500. I think one year during the Bustle years they gave away a car at the last home game. You could require each student to scan in their ID at EVERY home game for a chance to win. That way you have another way of getting students in the stands every home game. I mean, why not?! The dealership would write it off as a donation anyway. I'm full of ideas...

I don't think it's too late to try any of this before the season is up. It's probably a good time to test out ideas to make them even better for next year. Hell, I'd love to see a 75 yard simulated punt for a student to win $500. I think one year during the Bustle years they gave away a car at the last home game. You could require each student to scan in their ID at EVERY home game for a chance to win. That way you have another way of getting students in the stands every home game. I mean, why not?! The dealership would write it off as a donation anyway. I'm full of ideas...
    Eh...we're already making enough off the dealerships during car show week...they may be hesitant...

With televised games, we don't get to make that decision (Number of commercial breaks). Just like we don't get to choose kickoff days and times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I remember a future UL pitcher (as a kid) participating in a halftime PP&K competition at The Swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    With televised games, we don't get to make that decision (Number of commercial breaks). Just like we don't get to choose kickoff days and times.
    Yeah, If it wasn't clear I was saying the Sun Belt should put their foot down.

When are the students coming in to contribute to this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    When are the students coming in to contribute to this thread?
    They're all at the library studying

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast