_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Students Only

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Students Only

The fact is that students at UL aren't there for sport, football in particular. Many will recall an RP thread many years ago about the drunken LSU coed proudly saying football is why they're at LSU.

We'll never have those students. Still we can and need to do better.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Actually, I said this would happen 3-4 years ago. I was the only one who was ____ed off at Farmer for expanding the stadium. I was the only one calling for him to reduce capacity a little bit and spend that money on improving the seats we already had. I was one of the only ones who said it was a terrible idea to move student tailgating and increase the price of parking and tailgating spots. I saw this attendance trainwreck coming a long time ago. Everyone else was too caught up in their Big XII fantasies to see it too.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but there are some VERY obvious steps that can be taken to help things. But you've already sworn those off because you somehow can't realize that most people in Acadiana aren't willing or able to pay $1,500/yr for a Sun Belt experience.
    You are absolutely correct that you were solidly against seating expansion, and pleaded that we should only bling up the stadium. The price of oil, and a plethora of unforeseen circumstances, have made your arguments seem prophetic. The increasing apathy of students toward football, coupled with an increasing desire to watch football on HDTV with all the comforts of home, was part of your argument. And you were correct.

I hope we engage the best solutions possible to increase student/fan/alumni/other attendance. I don't believe in chastising anyone regarding their desired level of participation, or dismissing them for giving criticism to things they don't like or hope to see improved. UL needs every fan they can get.

Frankly, it's more disappointing with the sheer number of alumni in the Lafayette area who choose not to go, or worse go to Baton Rouge for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    RaginCaleb, studentfan and there are a couple others. Please recruit some of your peers to come to RP and let's have a chat.

Time to get this shyt straightened out for good.
    Just saw this. I had a family wedding and it was my birthday this past weekend so it was the first home game I've missed in probably my whole undergrad. I think CajunExpress said we'll never get those overly enthusiastic sports fans and to a certain extent I think hes right. I'm the exception just because both my parents are UL alumni and took me to games as a kid even though I grew up in Lake Charles. Literally everyone I know growing up lived at home and went mcneese or had a hard on for lsua&m@br and went there. I knew 3 or 4 people from my high school class of probably 800 to go to UL. But part of that was HUD had reinvigorated the program and my parents were at that first NOLA bowl game vs sdsu while I watched on tv and I remember it being an amazing time where people were EXCITED about the cajuns. When I took my tour of the campus they gave us free tickets to the basketball game where Eldrid Payton hit a buzzer beater floater to win the game while Shawn Long had a great game as well. Before that UL had pretty sorry athletics. I honestly dont know if I would have came to UL if they were still terrible like before in football and basketball. My point being, you cant build Rome in a day. If you want students to come here and be interested in athletics you have to have a product KNOWN for being successful and entertaining. And we had neither before hud. Most kids dont even know about our football team, and if they do 90% of them have never been here for a winning season. Part of the reason for that is UL recruits a lot of foreign and out of state students who dont like football or follow ul athletics. Theyre here bc it is cheap and our science and business programs are outstanding. They dont know who we're playing, what the fight song is. The biggest problem in my honest opinion is that there is no passion. The worst thing you can be is indifferent. I can persuade someone who has passion or hate even but someone who just doesn't care will never care. I also think that there could vast, VAST improvements to the game day experience and how UL markets that to students. I was in the band for 3 years and have tried to talk to people about having down cheers (our band can play on 1st 2nd 3rd down, and turnovers) that can be sung with students and something we could be proud of. But we don't have anything. Like seriously, no tradition and I think maggard and Napier see the vision and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    Just saw this. I had a family wedding and it was my birthday this past weekend so it was the first home game I've missed in probably my whole undergrad. I think CajunExpress said we'll never get those overly enthusiastic sports fans and to a certain extent I think hes right. I'm the exception just because both my parents are UL alumni and took me to games as a kid even though I grew up in Lake Charles. Literally everyone I know growing up lived at home and went mcneese or had a hard on for lsua&m@br and went there. I knew 3 or 4 people from my high school class of probably 800 to go to UL. But part of that was HUD had reinvigorated the program and my parents were at that first NOLA bowl game vs sdsu while I watched on tv and I remember it being an amazing time where people were EXCITED about the cajuns. When I took my tour of the campus they gave us free tickets to the basketball game where Eldrid Payton hit a buzzer beater floater to win the game while Shawn Long had a great game as well. Before that UL had pretty sorry athletics. I honestly dont know if I would have came to UL if they were still terrible like before in football and basketball. My point being, you cant build Rome in a day. If you want students to come here and be interested in athletics you have to have a product KNOWN for being successful and entertaining. And we had neither before hud. Most kids dont even know about our football team, and if they do 90% of them have never been here for a winning season. Part of the reason for that is UL recruits a lot of foreign and out of state students who dont like football or follow ul athletics. Theyre here bc it is cheap and our science and business programs are outstanding. They dont know who we're playing, what the fight song is. The biggest problem in my honest opinion is that there is no passion. The worst thing you can be is indifferent. I can persuade someone who has passion or hate even but someone who just doesn't care will never care. I also think that there could vast, VAST improvements to the game day experience and how UL markets that to students. I was in the band for 3 years and have tried to talk to people about having down cheers (our band can play on 1st 2nd 3rd down, and turnovers) that can be sung with students and something we could be proud of. But we don't have anything. Like seriously, no tradition and I think maggard and Napier see the vision and culture.
    Thank you for your response. I really do appreciate it. I hope you can convince a few of your friends to come here and have dialogue about how we can address the things we can control. Obviously we need to amend and enhance the way we are reaching students.

I think a focus group of the different types of students you mentioned would be a great start.

The culture has to be begin at freshman orientation. There has to be campus envolvment on Thursday nights before home games. We have to let the students sit directly behind the visiting bench. And we have to move the student tailgate by the bus stop behind the visitors side. You can't expect students to tailgate a quarter mile away and go to the game. Most of these kids are not use to inconvience. Hell we can't get adults with premier parking/tailgating to walk 100 yards to get into the game much less a quarter mile. Gotta make it easy for them or else you will not get them to games

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    The culture has to be begin at freshman orientation. There has to be campus envolvment on Thursday nights before home games. We have to let the students sit directly behind the visiting bench. And we have to move the student tailgate by the bus stop behind the visitors side. You can't expect students to tailgate a quarter mile away and go to the game. Most of these kids are not use to inconvience. Hell we can't get adults with premier parking/tailgating to walk 100 yards to get into the game much less a quarter mile. Gotta make it easy for them or else you will not get them to games
    The NCAA has a rule which doesn't allow for student sections to be directly behind the visitor's bench. Unfortunately, they recently enforced it. I found this out tonight speaking to someone at the baseball scrimmage.

But I will agree that we need to get the Freshman involved from the start. Have coaches come to the orientation classes to promote the games. Have pep rallies for every home game rather than just homecoming. And create a student point system for game attendance with their ID's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    The NCAA has a rule which doesn't allow for student sections to be directly behind the visitor's bench. Unfortunately, they recently enforced it. I found this out tonight speaking to someone at the baseball scrimmage....
    That is an SEC thing.
    There are exceptions tbough. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mi...ponents-bench/

Seems like this enforcement would have made national news at places like Kyle Field. https://247sports.com/college/texas-...017-106276684/

Frenchie35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

If you can bring every incoming freshmen to take a picture in front oh Martin Hall, take advantage of that to promote football attendance. Have the administration, they athletic department and coaches present. Drive a hard argument that their presents at UL football games should be part of their College life.

Hey MAT, I guess I need to change my screen name lol. I graduated from UL in 2005. We attend every home game and tailgate in the same spot by the Track and Field entrance. To me it seems we have more students that are not interested in sports...that sounds weird coming from a university in south Louisiana.

Why doesn't UL make it mandatory that in order to pass each semester, students must attend a minimum of 3 home football games during the fall semester and 1/2 the home basketball games in the spring!

Call it required community service. HaHa.

The key would be to have an athletic fee.. .which will be refunded at certain attendance goals.

I know this isn't possible.. just saying.

My family was in from Texas this weekend for family day for my niece's sorority. They left at halftime. The reason why? They thought it was boring. And they love football. I asked exactly what was boring. Their reply? Everything. Now don't go bashing my fam, but I couldn't help but wonder why the problem even extends way past the students. Something isn't right and we all smell the stank.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog308 View Post
    My family was in from Texas this weekend for family day for my niece's sorority. They left at halftime. The reason why? They thought it was boring. And they love football. I asked exactly what was boring. Their reply? Everything. Now don't go bashing my fam, but I couldn't help but wonder why the problem even extends way past the students. Something isn't right and we all smell the stank.
    Interesting, yet very important to know......

What that tells me is that there's an atmosphere within the stadium that just isn't quite "exciting." I'll say this. For starters, the students should be standing in their section. Another quality we have to add is simple......promote the RED ZONE (the student section, not the book store)!!!! Give the students an identity. That's one thing we have failed to do since I graduated from there. I don't even know if the student section has a name. Everyone wants to be part of something with an identity.

I know we keep putting the blame on the students (and they do deserve it), but many of us don't get into the game like we should (including myself) as well. When I watch other games on TV, I see entire fan bases engaged in the game, not just the students! Maybe many of us posting here need to take a look in the mirror!

Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I know we keep putting the blame on the students (and they do deserve it), but many of us don't get into the game like we should (including myself) as well. When I watch other games on TV, I see entire fan bases engaged in the game, not just the students! Maybe many of us posting here need to take a look in the mirror!

Just saying!
    I definitely do my part. I had no voice this past Sunday morning from all of the yelling I did the night before. But yes, you're definitely right. Our fans sit on their hands too much.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Interesting, yet very important to know......

What that tells me is that there's an atmosphere within the stadium that just isn't quite "exciting." I'll say this. For starters, the students should be standing in their section. Another quality we have to add is simple......promote the RED ZONE (the student section, not the book store)!!!! Give the students an identity. That's one thing we have failed to do since I graduated from there. I don't even know if the student section has a name. Everyone wants to be part of something with an identity.
    Its like we talked about the other day...our football program has zero tradition. No chants that bring the stadium together, the band doesn't have anything that brings the crowd alive, and we keeping trying to create traditions. The best traditions are organic and happen over time. We have the band trying to get one side of the stadium to yell ragin, while the other side does Cajun, meanwhile the entire stadium is empty. It is corny and embarrassing.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post

Just saying!
    I completely agree but what is there to engage with other than watching the game? We clap with the fight song after TDs...that literally the only chant the brings everyone together.

As we've said, what's being done now ain't working, top to bottom...time to make changes...

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Its like we talked about the other day...our football program has zero tradition. No chants that bring the stadium together, the band doesn't have anything that brings the crowd alive, and we keeping trying to create traditions. The best traditions are organic and happen over time. We have the band trying to get one side of the stadium to yell ragin, while the other side does Cajun, meanwhile the entire stadium is empty. It is corny and embarrassing.
    That's the beauty of why the Tigue is such a special place for baseball season. The traditions that we have there are our own. Even when we sing "Centerfield" for the 7th inning stretch, we sing the second verse until the end even when the song stops over the PA. We have our own chants that we created as fans. I've seen it with basketball when one side chants "Ragin," and the other side chants "Cajuns."

We have never really created an environment at Cajun Field that has allowed us to create traditions. And unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin on how to create that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast