_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Students Only

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Students Only

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is understood. Concern is that if we are 6 and 3 at this time next year, support won't be much different.
    An observation about UL fans. Regardless of success there's less of them in attendance as the season progresses especially after deer season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And you know this how? Also, prior to last year, ESPN 3 was free. How were they generating revenue with free admission? Also, at $5 per month, I don't think the subscriber fees are really pushing the bottom line. Do you?
    This is how I know.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/espn...r-fees-2015-11

By subscribers I mean cable subscribers. But as you know the number of cable subscriptions is falling and will continue to fall. Part of ESPN's strategy to offset these losses is to invest heavily in streaming.

ESPN 3 was free because it was designed to be a temporary loss leader for ESPN+. They are trying to be the Amazon of sports streaming. The idea (like Amazon) is that they would take an initial loss if it gets everyone used to using their service so they can monopolize the market and compel lots of people to pay for it later on down the line.

Is it making a dent in the bottom line right now? No. But just give it a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Look, here's how all this works...ESPN+ as you said, gets a large amount on the subscription fees, possible a share agreement with SunBelt, but doubtful. ESPN supports and maintains the streaming platforms, IT, etc.

Cajun Lierfied guys sell the ads. As part of the Lierfield "Network", there are commercials insterted from large, regional and national advertisers, like Bud Lite.

As far as ad sales and formats...per the game. Total cost of game broadcast x 6 = gross revenue per game needed. 6 is the most common multiplier, at least where I've been, 4x cost is the least. Your looking to make 6 times the cost. That's your baseline amount...How many commercials need to be a part of the game format x the rate per commercial (what the market will pay) to hit the gross revenue number. Normally, you end up with around 40 avails per game, they can be :30's, :15's 10's as far as a spot length. In general, that's how it works. How the game is formated, (when spots air) is just math. Need more revenue, add a spot, need less (never happens) take one away. Due to game conditions, the format can move up or down depending on need. Its about nothing more than getting to the gross revenue # to cover expenses and make$
    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

How do you know Learfield is involved with TV ads? I find it hard to believe ESPN would just give up their ad revenue to the schools.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Students Only

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

How do you know Learfield is involved with TV ads? I find it hard to believe ESPN would just give up their ad revenue to the schools.
    That is probably due to the fact that ESPN plus is a subscription service.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And you know this how? Also, prior to last year, ESPN 3 was free. How were they generating revenue with free admission? Also, at $5 per month, I don't think the subscriber fees are really pushing the bottom line. Do you?
    You needed a cable subscription with ESPN included in order to stream ESPN3, so it wasn't free. ESPN/Disney was still collecting their subscriber fees from you through the cable bill.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    You needed a cable subscription with ESPN included in order to stream ESPN3, so it wasn't free. ESPN/Disney was still collecting their subscriber fees from you through the cable bill.
    No. For espn3 you didnt need cable subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    No. For espn3 you didnt need cable subscription.
    You needed a subscription with ESPN in it.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    You needed a subscription with ESPN in it.
    No you didnt.

No you didnt.
    Yes, I'm afraid you did. It would ask for your cable provider when logging on.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid you did. It would ask for your cable provider when logging on.
    I'm afraid it doesnt. Only if you try to access ESPN, espn2, espnu, etc does it ask you that. Espn3 did not require anything. I havent had a cable subscription in 8 years and I have not once had an issue watching espn3.

There may be a buck or two that goes to espn, but Lierfield is in charge of selling air time, it's their/our production

I'm afraid it doesnt. Only if you try to access ESPN, espn2, espnu, etc does it ask you that. Espn3 did not require anything. I havent had a cable subscription in 8 years and I have not once had an issue watching espn3.
    Okie doke

You are correct. ESPN3 access comes from who you have Internet with, and nothing to do with your cable.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    I had cable whether or not I was watching ESPN3 as did just about everyone else. I wasn't going to subscribe to cable in order to just get ESPN3. I get what you are saying but I don't look at this as an add on cost, especially since people were going to have cable regardless of ESPN3.

This is how I know.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/espn...r-fees-2015-11

By subscribers I mean cable subscribers. But as you know the number of cable subscriptions is falling and will continue to fall. Part of ESPN's strategy to offset these losses is to invest heavily in streaming.

ESPN 3 was free because it was designed to be a temporary loss leader for ESPN+. They are trying to be the Amazon of sports streaming. The idea (like Amazon) is that they would take an initial loss if it gets everyone used to using their service so they can monopolize the market and compel lots of people to pay for it later on down the line.

Is it making a dent in the bottom line right now? No. But just give it a few years.
    This is talking about ALL of ESPN's revenue broken down by subscriber fees and Ad's sold. This is not just a breakdown of ESPN3. This is their across the board fees which are a much more substantial share. The ads sold revenue is not even discussing the ads sold on games aired on E3. Not sure it really is telling us anything.

Frenchie35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    An observation about UL fans. Regardless of success there's less of them in attendance as the season progresses especially after deer season starts.
    So you are saying we have about 5000 dear hunters who usually go to UL football games.

Deer and duck season impact attendance, the direct impact of people going hunting and the people who normally join those people at Cajun games...it's a snowball effect. Dad goes hunting, mom and the kids stay home. Guy who owns the tailgate spot goes hunting, nobody goes to the spot. It would only take 1000 hunters to make a 5000 person impact.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Duck season just happens to open today or tomorrow. Yeah.... it's always something

I know somebody who is a BIG tailgater, football guy etc. Going to Missouri for deer season. That means his wife and all three of his kids are staying home. I'm thinking, there are more than one like that. Lots of empty seats tomorrow especially if this weather doesn't get right.

I will be out of town due to a death in the family. Good news is that all my tickets will be used!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast