_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: App State vs Ark State

Default Re: App State vs Ark State

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Just need to get some more CHS-NI players in there, and all will be well....
    As long as we don't schedule ND that plan should work swimmingly!

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I could have gotten us to the same record for $5 and a turkey sandwich
    Viator.

As long as we don't schedule ND that plan should work swimmingly!
    LOL Savage!!!!

No grudge just not sold on him being our savior just see so much carryover from the previous staff that I though would have been cleaned up by now.
    There is middle ground between savior and dud. I'm giving the staff time to find players that fit their system, time to develop them and time to gel as a staff. A few wins this year and next would be nice but if we are truly building for the future, year 3 will probably be the good one.
    Seems like you would have fired Saban from Alabama after his first few games, too.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Maybe star ratings are for the most part bullsht and a way to monetize recruiting. Maybe app states coaches are benefiting from recruiting their kind of guys to their system. Maybe their rich tradition of winning attracts better coaching candidates in general. We lack speed..speed kills. You can know where you are supposed to be and when all you want, but if the guy across from you gets there 1-2 seconds faster it doesn't matter. We lack depth which also affects the guy who is a step slower a lot, as he gets tired he gets even slower. Satterfield was 5-13 his first year and a half as head coach..that includes a season in FCS...he is 40-10 since. Im sure there were tons of "Monday morning qb coaching experts" at app state that thought they made a mistake too. Hud started 6-1..our first road conference win ever as an underdog and everyone thought he walked on water. Give the guy some time to prove what he is one way or the other...5 games doesn't prove or show anything.
    App State has way more football tradition than any team in the Belt. They were in the FCS playoffs like 20 years in a row. They've been playing winning football in Boone for a really long time, not to mention having a 3 peat with the FCS National Championship in this century. The guys they get, and you can look at the roster, come mostly (and have traditionally) come from the Charlotte area, Greensboro/Winston Salem, the Atlanta metro, and south Florida. They have two Kansas State transfers playing this year who are from the Charlotte area. Kids gravitate to the tradition, they go after lineman who can run, they've done that for years, regardless of their size. I'm amazed they recruit black athletes to Boone...trust me, that ain't easy. But just like at UL, if they can get you on campus, kid is normally sold on going to App. The program they built under Jerry Moore, Satterfield has continued that same program, just kicked up to an FBS level.
    This is why Napier has gone so hard on the #cULture thing...to begin to build a tradition on the field with football players who care who they represent. Takes time and success to build tradition, brick by brick by brick...

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    App State has way more football tradition than any team in the Belt. They were in the FCS playoffs like 20 years in a row. They've been playing winning football in Boone for a really long time, not to mention having a 3 peat with the FCS National Championship in this century. The guys they get, and you can look at the roster, come mostly (and have traditionally) come from the Charlotte area, Greensboro/Winston Salem, the Atlanta metro, and south Florida. They have two Kansas State transfers playing this year who are from the Charlotte area. Kids gravitate to the tradition, they go after lineman who can run, they've done that for years, regardless of their size. I'm amazed they recruit black athletes to Boone...trust me, that ain't easy. But just like at UL, if they can get you on campus, kid is normally sold on going to App. The program they built under Jerry Moore, Satterfield has continued that same program, just kicked up to an FBS level.
    This is why Napier has gone so hard on the #cULture thing...to begin to build a tradition on the field with football players who care who they represent. Takes time and success to build tradition, brick by brick by brick...
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I'd argue that Georgia Southern holds that distinction. They have 6 national championships between 1985 and 2000. They played in 8 of those title games and were in the playoffs 12 times during that time frame. They also have 5 other times they were in the Semifinals from 1985-2012. To put this in perspective, Alabama from 1985 until today only has 6 national titles.

I agree App has been good, but for most of that time Georgia Southern was the Alabama of D-1AA/FCS.

I could have gotten us to the same record for $5 and a turkey sandwich
    You would have played our third string QB last week, had a mutiny on your hands, and lost in embarrassing fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    You would have played our third string QB last week, had a mutiny on your hands, and lost in embarrassing fashion.
    Ouch, sounds like he is not worth the turkey sandwich.

No grudge just not sold on him being our savior just see so much carryover from the previous staff that I though would have been cleaned up by now.
    The carryover is the players. I know coaching is important, but we have a glorified FCS team right now. Only a couple of positions are where we need them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Ouch, sounds like he is not worth the turkey sandwich.
    Bologna

Bologna
    Oh, round steak.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I'd argue that Georgia Southern holds that distinction. They have 6 national championships between 1985 and 2000. They played in 8 of those title games and were in the playoffs 12 times during that time frame. They also have 5 other times they were in the Semifinals from 1985-2012. To put this in perspective, Alabama from 1985 until today only has 6 national titles.

I agree App has been good, but for most of that time Georgia Southern was the Alabama of D-1AA/FCS.
    They had a ton off success as well and have that sort of winning swagger and tradition...App has held on to the winning, GA.Southern has had issues with winning the last few years...but I agree with your pernt

I'm not saying Naiper is a failure after 6 weeks (underperfomred yes), but I don't want a team that has to lean on being the superior talent to win games that was problem we had with the last coach and the reason we got stomped by teams equal to or great than us in the talent department. We need to be a well-coached team that plays fundamental football and that is the only way we can improve our situation.
    6 weeks, but only 5 games.

IMO, we are significantly less talented than App St, Arkansas State and Troy.

About the same as Coastal, S. Al, Ga St and ULM and more talented than Texas State.

We should not have lost to Coastal, and Napier has taken the hit on that. We should have outscored them, but we had zero chance of stopping that offense with our defense. The game should've been 52-48 if we execute on offense and their starting QB doesn't get hurt.

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We returned more starting defensive players than they did this year

As far as talent their defense is majority 2-star players with a few 3 stars mixed in much like ours so why then is it so much better not just but the majority of the belt.
    Christian Ringo, Justin Hamilton, harry Peoples, Jamal Robinson, Dominque Tovell, Jamarlous Moten, and Mykhael Quave were all 2 stars in Huds first class. If we kept filling every class with the caliber athlete we wouldn't have issues we have today.

Finding talent is a lot more than star rankings at our level. App State finds talent and it is obvious how much more talented they are than us. Coaching plays apart but they have a lot of talent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    6 weeks, but only 5 games.

IMO, we are significantly less talented than App St, Arkansas State and Troy.

About the same as Coastal, S. Al, Ga St and ULM and more talented than Texas State.

We should not have lost to Coastal, and Napier has taken the hit on that. We should have outscored them, but we had zero chance of stopping that offense with our defense. The game should've been 52-48 if we execute on offense and their starting QB doesn't get hurt.
    IMO, I don't think we are significantly less talented than Ark. State after watching them this season. I think they have more talent at several positions that make them a difficult match-up for the Cajuns.

They have a good QB with a strong arm and a pair of good transfers at the WR position. Outside of QB, they are not more talented than the Cajuns at any other offensive position.

On defense, they have a good NT but are giving up over 200 yards a game on the ground. They have more speed at LB and Safety, which again means they can get to the ball quickly on defense. But they miss a ton of tackles and are vulnerable to cut backs because they are overly aggressive at times with stunts.

Astate will be a difficult match-up for us because if we sit back and play zone all night Hansen will pick us apart. If the Cajuns get pressure on him, he is athletic enough to hurt us with his legs. If we man the WRs, he will kill us down the field.

The formula for UL is no different for AState as it is for NMSU. We will need to run the ball to shorten the game and move the chains. The play action game will be big as they commit to stop the run. Play solid defense, keep everything in front of us and don't give them big plays or let them beat us down the field.

That is who we are at this time and the margin for error is very small since we are not going to be more talented than most of our opponents this season.

Pretty sure even Jake Arceneaux can hand the ball off 46 times without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Christian Ringo, Justin Hamilton, harry Peoples, Jamal Robinson, Dominque Tovell, Jamarlous Moten, and Mykhael Quave were all 2 stars in Huds first class. If we kept filling every class with the caliber athlete we wouldn't have issues we have today.

Finding talent is a lot more than star rankings at our level. App State finds talent and it is obvious how much more talented they are than us. Coaching plays apart but they have a lot of talent.
    That's what we have failed to do for the most part identify talent and then coach up said talent . Im still weary we are just going to drool over combine stats again.

That's what we have failed to do for the most part identify talent and then coach up said talent . Im still weary we are just going to drool over combine stats again.
    Help me with this Lannister:

How can one FAIL to identify talent then COACH UP the talent to which one has failed to identify?

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Nope.....that's not how these guys recruit

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast