_ _ _ _

Thread: Pro or Con (defensive scoring)

Default Pro or Con (defensive scoring)

Are you a fan of defensive scores in football

When i think of other sports it doesnt seem like that occurs, and certainly not to the extent in football.

ex: baseball it is impossible
    basketball: it is a transition, so not truly a defensive score. and if you run offense properly you should have someone back (unless a pressing defense steals in backcourt) and two pts can be made up more quickly than six
    hockey: goalie and a defenseman(?) but also more of a transition back to offense
    soccer: goalie, defense back, transition

Granted it could be a positive argument to say that makes football unique. but it also can bail out a struggling offense?

What say you? pro or con, yay or nay?

Default Re: Pro or Con

When a defense in any sport makes a stop and gets a score, that is always a positive. In basketball, its a 4 point swing. Taking 2 from them and getting 2 for us. My basketball philosophy is always defense turns into offense.
    Football defensive scores can be huge because it always takes longer to score in football. Huge momentum boost as well.

Default Re: Pro or Con (defensive scoring)

fyi i put 'ot:' in original title, so i dont get slaughtered....

good point ragin 4u... but if one team has a positive that makes a negative for the other. i meant for the sport in general, not one team.

Foote,
    is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Foote,
    is that you?
    nope. did he have a segment about this topic? i dont live locally, so dont get chance to listen often

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    fyi i put 'ot:' in original title, so i dont get slaughtered....

good point ragin 4u... but if one team has a positive that makes a negative for the other. i meant for the sport in general, not one team.
    Gotcha. I think its a positive. More ways to score is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Gotcha. I think its a positive. More ways to score is a good thing!
    cool

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

With the limited exception of goalies in the sports that have them, and pitchers and dh's in some baseball and softball leagues, all players in those sports are involved in both offense and defense. Most of them also have no stoppage of play in the transition from offense to defense unless there is a rule violation (shot clock, yellow or red card, etc.).

Technically the only defensive score that I can think of in any sport is a safety in football; as that is the only way to score without possessing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    With the limited exception of goalies in the sports that have them, and pitchers and dh's in some baseball and softball leagues, all players in those sports are involved in both offense and defense. Most of them also have no stoppage of play in the transition from offense to defense unless there is a rule violation (shot clock, yellow or red card, etc.).

Technically the only defensive score that I can think of in any sport is a safety in football; as that is the only way to score without possessing the ball.
    I think every score in baseball/softball is a score without possessing the ball. Pitchers can play offense and defense. Technically I believe at least the soccer goalie also plays offense at times when they throw the ball back in play.

In football, I believe they are still defenders when they possess the ball after a turnover.

Over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post

What about fumble recoveries or interceptions that result in defensive scores?

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    What about fumble recoveries or interceptions that result in defensive scores?
    The ball changes possession prior to those scores; the defense becomes the offense upon the change of possession.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I think every score in baseball/softball is a score without possessing the ball. Pitchers can play offense and defense. Technically I believe at least the soccer goalie also plays offense at times when they throw the ball back in play.

In football, I believe they are still defenders when they possess the ball after a turnover.

Over and out.
    The stick and ball sports are unique in that the offense never possesses the ball. And, yes, pitchers CAN play offense, but in leagues that use the dh or dp, they rarely do. So can hockey and soccer goalies, though they almost never do. (Usually in situations where goalies would play offense they are substituted out and replaced by an additional offensive player.)

Also, in tennis and some other net sports, you can score without the serve, so one could count those as defensive scores.