_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Homecoming attendance? 18,132 (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We have lost sight of why we are here. It feels like we are trying to recreate the Tigue experience at Cajun Field. It does not work in college football and never will.
    Total different culture, totally different fanbase and should be treated as a totally different experience.

Default Re: Homecoming attendance?

From where I sit (first row upper deck) you can see about 10 to 15 percent of the people in the stands using their cell phones. It is more obvious when the Sun goes down. I will snap a photo if I remember this Saturday. They might be checking weather, text message from home to check up on kids, or score of the LSU game. I dunno.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    From where I sit (first row upper deck) you can see about 10 to 15 percent of the people in the stands using their cell phones. It is more obvious when the Sun goes down. I will snap a photo if I remember this Saturday. They might be checking weather, text message from home to check up on kids, or score of the LSU game. I dunno.
    I only have my phone with me because I am on perpetual call for certain things with my job, but if it doesn't ring, it stays in my pocket, because I am into the game. I am into the game as much as game management lets me with all of the distractions from the obnoxious music to the LOOK AT ME !!!!!!! video board.

The only info I need during the game is scores of other games. That went bye bye years ago from the scoreboard, and I would guess that most guys are looking for scores or have other games going on their phones.

Some really good posts and takes, I said for years that Cajun Field was the world's largest daycare center on game days..while family friendly works to a certain degree (I took my boys to games when they were young, but they knew we were there for the game, not to act like an unsupervised circus act)..they knew how to behave and had fun cheering on the Cajuns.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Some really good posts and takes, I said for years that Cajun Field was the world's largest daycare center on game days..while family friendly works to a certain degree (I took my boys to games when they were young, but they knew we were there for the game, not to act like an unsupervised circus act)..they knew how to behave and had fun cheering on the Cajuns.
    I've always thought the hill should be shut down unless every seat is filled. If your kids can't sit through an entire game without rolling down a hill, dont bring them.

I only have my phone with me because I am on perpetual call for certain things with my job, but if it doesn't ring, it stays in my pocket, because I am into the game. I am into the game as much as game management lets me with all of the distractions from the obnoxious music to the LOOK AT ME !!!!!!! video board.

The only info I need during the game is scores of other games. That went bye bye years ago from the scoreboard, and I would guess that most guys are looking for scores or have other games going on their phones.
    Yes...I use mine for that very same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A lot to unravel here.

It's my opinion that manufactured environment is worse than a bad environment. Manufactured feels phony, where at least the bad environment has hope to be better.

We've gotten so far away from what made sports so popular, across the board. The promotions and game day experience extras and video additions and on and on... were never meant to be the meat and potatoes of the sporting experience. It has become that way in small markets and in bad organizations since money infected the sporting world. Everyone wants a piece of the profit, no matter how it happens.

What made sporting events so great and so popular was passion, rivalries, hatred, tribalism and competition. Sanctioning bodies have removed all of that from the experience.

Here at UL, I've long said we shot ourselves in the foot by promoting our game experiences as "family friendly". (Don't get me wrong, I understand why we did it. It was out of necessity). You don't see a lot of kids and families at SEC football games. You see rabid alumni, packed student sections, and away sections with virtually no home fan in sight. What makes the SEC such a good product is undoubtedly the talent on the field and the level of competition, coupled with the passion in the stands. The SEC figured out a long time ago that the hatred, passion and rivalry was the true marketing value of their sport.

You can't duplicate passion.
    You nailed it !!

DieHard1280 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

My kids have never ever sat on the hill. They always sat in the stands with me. When they were no longer interested in actually watching the game, they no longer went with me. It's really not that hard.

As MAT pointed out, I think it was MAT, we have MANY MANY fans that just sit quietly on their asses the ENTIRE game!!! That is what ____es me off the most!

As a fan, you have a DUTY to yell as loud as humanly possible and make it hard for the other team. I'm not saying that you have to stand and do that, but as least ___king YELL!!!!!! I rarely stand and yell, but i sure as hell am loud!!! It's not the ___king library you are at, it's a football game! Please try just a little and make it harder for the other team to compete.

I'm usually hoarse and/or can barely talk the next day. If you don't have at least a sore throat you FAILED as a FAN!!!!!! Cheer for your team! Sitting quietly is not cheering, it's watching. You can litterally do that from home just as effectively. Why'd you go if you don't cheer?????

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    As MAT pointed out, I think it was MAT, we have MANY MANY fans that just sit quietly on their asses the ENTIRE game!!! That is what ____es me off the most!

As a fan, you have a DUTY to yell as loud as humanly possible and make it hard for the other team. I'm not saying that you have to stand and do that, but as least ___king YELL!!!!!! I rarely stand and yell, but i sure as hell am loud!!! It's not the ___king library you are at, it's a football game! Please try just a little and make it harder for the other team to compete.

I'm usually hoarse and/or can barely talk the next day. If you don't have at least a sore throat you FAILED as a FAN!!!!!! Cheer for your team! Sitting quietly is not cheering, it's watching. You can litterally do that from home just as effectively. Why'd you go if you don't cheer?????

/rant
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I check my phone for score around the country and stats of our game because we can put ads up on the score boards but not stats

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I check my phone for score around the country and stats of our game because we can put ads up on the score boards but not stats
    I listen to radio broadcast with noise canceling ear muffs with a radio. Don't have to listen to the PA and get to follow the game better. It makes the game experience tolerable.

I try to get excited during the game, but the product on the field just isn't that exciting. Couple that with the shenanigans on the sideline and video board, and I just kind of tune out at times.

Blog Entries

/rant
    I agree 100% and it's far more effective the more people who do this.

... Cheer for your team! Sitting quietly is not cheering, it's watching. You can litterally do that from home just as effectively. Why'd you go if you don't cheer?????...
    Well, this is a "family" event. We got the kids dash. We got the end zone play area. Last game, the woman in front of us gave us mean looks because we woke up her 4 month old who was having a sleepy after her bottle. This is what the administration wants right? Just a bunch of family picnics on a lazy old Saturday afternoon watching the kids play.

We are so stupid with this nonsense.

Well, this is a "family" event. We got the kids dash. We got the end zone play area. Last game, the woman in front of us gave us mean looks because we woke up her 4 month old who was having a sleepy after her bottle. This is what the administration wants right? Just a bunch of family picnics on a lazy old Saturday afternoon watching the kids play.

At least she didn't breast feed it in front of you...

DieHard1280 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    At least she didn't breast feed it in front of you...
    Or maybe too bad she didn't...

Only telling this story, because it's funny and I think I remember you are from Erath. We were at a CHS vs Erath game several years ago at CHS. It was maybe during the second Faurroux era, or something, but regardless Erath was expecting to be very competitive and brought a lot of fans. Back then, one section of the "home" side was reserved for visitors, because our visitor stands used to suck bad, bad. Erath brought so many that some spilled over into the center "home" section, and some of them were right by my dad and I. So halftime arrives, and the Erath band comes out play. My dad and I start talking about the game, or the UL game the next day or something and this Erath fan (older lady) turns to us and "shhhhhhhh-es" us for talking while the band was playing. We got shushed, at our house, during halftime of a football game. My dad and I just looked at each other and laughed.....CHS whipped that ___ that night I think....

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Only telling this story, because it's funny and I think I remember you are from Erath. We were at a CHS vs Erath game several years ago at CHS. It was maybe during the second Faurroux era, or something, but regardless Erath was expecting to be very competitive and brought a lot of fans. Back then, one section of the "home" side was reserved for visitors, because our visitor stands used to suck bad, bad. Erath brought so many that some spilled over into the center "home" section, and some of them were right by my dad and I. So halftime arrives, and the Erath band comes out play. My dad and I start talking about the game, or the UL game the next day or something and this Erath fan (older lady) turns to us and "shhhhhhhh-es" us for talking while the band was playing. We got shushed, at our house, during halftime of a football game. My dad and I just looked at each other and laughed.....CHS whipped that ___ that night I think....
    That's funny.

Yeah, a lot of people over here thought he was gonna be just like his brother.

The truth is that in the Current SunBelt unless we are winning consistently we will not draw great. I dream of a conference with Regional teams like LA Tech, Tulane, Houston, Southern Miss, even ULM. Teams with fan bases that we can develop real regional rivalries. We will never have a big rivalry with Troy, Georgia State, Appalachian st., Coastal carolina etc. Sorry but Arkansas State and new football members like South Alabama just is not enough to interest the common fan. When you don't have great teams you need games that at least keep the fans interested.

Conference realignment has really done a disservice to the fan bases of regional non p5 schools.

With all that said still no excuse not to get better student attendance.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast