_ _ _ _
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24

Thread: G4 Final: Louisiana 14 Alabama 56

Default Re: G4 Final: Louisiana 14 Alabama 56

Why cant we be a smash mouth team? We have 5 backs we can rotate and an offensive line that seems better at run blocking. Defense can't hold up for 60 min. We have to be a run first hold the ball team.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I understand your criticism and don't think you are an idiot, I just see it differently. In no known universe are we going to win that game, so in my mind there are only a couple of viable options.

Option 1 - Do your absolute best to keep it close, run the clock to extreme and limit possessions on both sides of the ball.

Option 2 - Use the entire playbook (which I am not convinced we did), and get as many plays in on the offense as possible, since you ran under 50 the previous week.

I would lean towards Option 2, because my philosophy for THIS SEASON is 1. WIN any game possible and 2. Develop the players and the cULture.

I am sure there are other options out there, but those were the two I was thinking of during the game.
    You don't think I'm an idiot? Can I get your name and use you as a reference?

You can't exactly show up to any football game and deviate a lot from what you're trying to install in your program. I get that. I also know the odds are massively against us in these kind of games. I see games against the likes of Alabama ones where you use tactics to keep the game as close as possible. The players don't need the humiliation any more than the fans. Running the clock down is done all of the time in football. I saw it as a given yesterday, and couldn't understand why we didn't.

No big deal. I was proud of our offense for the two second half scoring drives. I could care less whether it was 1st or 5th string Bama defensive units. We've had similar situations in our history and failed to score. It's something for these guys to build on.

Now, I just hope our defense keeps grinding, stays healthy, and focuses on improvement. We've had defenses anchored by only one or two guys bent on being great... and they carried our defense. I'd love to see that emerge... despite the analysis that we simply don't have the talent right now.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Why cant we be a smash mouth team? We have 5 backs we can rotate and an offensive line that seems better at run blocking. Defense can't hold up for 60 min. We have to be a run first hold the ball team.
    Coach has said he would prefer to be a run first team. When that is working the throw game becomes easier. Not a new coaching view but true nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    You don't think I'm an idiot? Can I get your name and use you as a reference?

You can't exactly show up to any football game and deviate a lot from what you're trying to install in your program. I get that. I also know the odds are massively against us in these kind of games. I see games against the likes of Alabama ones where you use tactics to keep the game as close as possible. The players don't need the humiliation any more than the fans. Running the clock down is done all of the time in football. I saw it as a given yesterday, and couldn't understand why we didn't.

No big deal. I was proud of our offense for the two second half scoring drives. I could care less whether it was 1st or 5th string Bama defensive units. We've had similar situations in our history and failed to score. It's something for these guys to build on.

Now, I just hope our defense keeps grinding, stays healthy, and focuses on improvement. We've had defenses anchored by only one or two guys bent on being great... and they carried our defense. I'd love to see that emerge... despite the analysis that we simply don't have the talent right now.
    J1M have not seen you in a coons age... Hope you are well, my friend!!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Coach has said he would prefer to be a run first team. When that is working the throw game becomes easier. Not a new coaching view but true nonetheless.
    Mike, hope you guys are doing well, sir!!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Redgineer View Post
    Saban did say we gained and scored on their 2nd string defense in the post game talk.
    Here are some interesting comparative Alabama stats thru 5 games this season:

1. Louisville - Bama won 51-14; led 28-0 at half; led 44-0 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored Louisville 23-14 2nd half; Bama 519 yds. total offense - Louisville 268 yds.

2. Ark State - Bama won 57-7; led 40-0 at half; led 50-0 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored Ark State 17-7 in 2nd half; Bama 599 yds. total offense - Ark State 391 yds.

3. Ole Miss - Bama won 62-7; led 49-7 at half; led 59-7 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored Ole Miss 13-0 in 2nd half; Bama 516 yds. total offense - Ole Miss 248 yds.

4. Texas A&M - Bama won 45-23; led 31-13 at half; led 45-16 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored TAMU 14-10 in 2nd half; Bama 524 yds. total offense - TAMU 393 yds.

5. Louisiana - Bama won 56-14; led 49-0 at half; led 56-0 end of 3rd qtr.; was outscored by Louisiana 7-14 in 2nd half; Bama 608 yds. total offense - UL 288 yds.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post

1. Louisville - Bama won 51-14; led 28-0 at half; led 44-0 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored Louisville 23-14 2nd half; Bama 519 yds. total offense - Louisville 268 yds.

2. Ark State - Bama won 57-7; led 40-0 at half; led 50-0 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored Ark State 17-7 in 2nd half; Bama 599 yds. total offense - Ark State 391 yds.

3. Ole Miss - Bama won 62-7; led 49-7 at half; led 59-7 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored Ole Miss 13-0 in 2nd half; Bama 516 yds. total offense - Ole Miss 248 yds.

4. Texas A&M - Bama won 45-23; led 31-13 at half; led 45-16 end of 3rd qtr.; outscored TAMU 14-10 in 2nd half; Bama 524 yds. total offense - TAMU 393 yds.

5. Louisiana - Bama won 56-14; led 49-0 at half; led 56-0 end of 3rd qtr.; was outscored by Louisiana 7-14 in 2nd half; Bama 608 yds. total offense - UL 288 yds.
    Great post. Was wanting to see these numbers

Blog Entries

Thanks

According to Buckley, UL was going against the Bama JV defense in the second half...

Saban took his foot off the gas at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. With that said, I still like what I saw from our offense. They were competing and our RBs played very hard. Nothing surprising their though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I understand your criticism and don't think you are an idiot, I just see it differently. In no known universe are we going to win that game, so in my mind there are only a couple of viable options.

Option 1 - Do your absolute best to keep it close, run the clock to extreme and limit possessions on both sides of the ball.

Option 2 - Use the entire playbook (which I am not convinced we did), and get as many plays in on the offense as possible, since you ran under 50 the previous week.

I would lean towards Option 2, because my philosophy for THIS SEASON is 1. WIN any game possible and 2. Develop the players and the cULture.

I am sure there are other options out there, but those were the two I was thinking of during the game.
    Option 2 has to be used against teams that we do match up with. MSST and Bama come to mind. Our defense cant hold up with that quick pace Napier wants to run the offense. YET.
    Also, I didnt see the all 22 so there may be a reason coverage-wise but did we attempt a throw over the middle? Seems like everything was to the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    Saban took his foot off the gas at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. With that said, I still like what I saw from our offense. They were competing and our RBs played very hard. Nothing surprising their though.
    I suspect he also took his foot off the gas vs Louisville, when he had a 44-0 lead in the 3rd qtr., or Ark State when he had a 50-0 lead in the 3rd qtr., or Ole Miss when he had a 59-7 lead in the 3rd qtr. He demolished those teams similarly to UL. I was very encouraged how this team fought in the 2nd half holding Bama to only 7 points and scored twice in the 4th qtr., regardless of who Alabama had in the game. And, I suspect Bama's 2nd and 3rd team players (likely 3 and 4 star players) were in the games vs. these other teams, yet UL is the only team to outscore Bama in the 2nd half. We certainly have a long way to go, but I could see the implementation of cULture starting to take hold with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    We have tried from time to time. The first half against CC we tried to power run into a brick wall. Napier seems to be inclined to want to successfully run the ball but balances what he thinks he can attack in another team's defense. You saw us move the ball pretty well due to scheme against Miss St. Then you saw Napier try to force running the ball against CC. It didn't work and adjustments were made in the second half.

Good coaches adjust to what their players are capable of doing and what the other defense gives you.

Blog Entries

I suspect he also took his foot off the gas vs Louisville, when he had a 44-0 lead in the 3rd qtr., or Ark State when he had a 50-0 lead in the 3rd qtr., or Ole Miss when he had a 59-7 lead in the 3rd qtr. He demolished those teams similarly to UL. I was very encouraged how this team fought in the 2nd half holding Bama to only 7 points and scored twice in the 4th qtr., regardless of who Alabama had in the game. And, I suspect Bama's 2nd and 3rd team players (likely 3 and 4 star players) were in the games vs. these other teams, yet UL is the only team to outscore Bama in the 2nd half. We certainly have a long way to go, but I could see the implementation of cULture starting to take hold with this team.
    Unless Saban played all frosh in the second half he had players with 15 games of experience or more in his system.

Napier's had 3.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    We have tried from time to time. The first half against CC we tried to power run into a brick wall. Napier seems to be inclined to want to successfully run the ball but balances what he thinks he can attack in another team's defense. You saw us move the ball pretty well due to scheme against Miss St. Then you saw Napier try to force running the ball against CC. It didn't work and adjustments were made in the second half.

Good coaches adjust to what their players are capable of doing and what the other defense gives you.
    2nd half adjustments in second half vs CC still resulted in a preference to running the football. Recall that Mitchell and Calais both had long runs to start the second half. Adjustments made probably focused on the blocking schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    but implying he didnt against the others? good stats, thanks. scoreboard! also left off the run stats, we had 200 yards rushing, noone else has against them in tuscalossa since 2011. this is what saban said about whether he is subbing in.....(granted he said it last year)

....allows future starters to get important real-game reps. Saban said, "It's really good for them to develop confidence and experience."

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24