_ _ _ _

Thread: ECU

Default ECU

What has happened to ECU. I know that NC A&T is a very good FCS team, but there is no way that ECU should lose to them. They are calling for Scottie Montgomery's head in Greenville, NC.

They fired Ruffin McNeil after the following seasons:

2012 8-5
    2013 10-3
    2014 8-5
    2015 5-7

Since then Scott Montgomery has gone:

2016 3-9
    2017 3-9
    2018 0-1 with a loss to FCS NC A&T and it does not get any better as they face UNC, Va Tech and USF in their next 3 games.

Default Re: ECU

And they kicked off last season losing to James Madison....Also a very good FCS School, but 2 years in a row........

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    And they kicked off last season losing to James Madison....Also a very good FCS School, but 2 years in a row........
    ...correct me if I am wrong but they were getting 55k at some games.....perhaps the p-5s In the area kept some of their possible recruits along with the rise of some peripheral area g-5s.......but the new conference seemingly upgrade should have been a leading recruiting tool!

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    What has happened to ECU. I know that NC A&T is a very good FCS team, but there is no way that ECU should lose to them. They are calling for Scottie Montgomery's head in Greenville, NC.

They fired Ruffin McNeil after the following seasons:

2012 8-5
    2013 10-3
    2014 8-5
    2015 5-7

Since then Scott Montgomery has gone:

2016 3-9
    2017 3-9
    2018 0-1 with a loss to FCS NC A&T and it does not get any better as they face UNC, Va Tech and USF in their next 3 games.
    We fired BaldLOSS for similar seasons and got sued.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ...correct me if I am wrong but they were getting 55k at some games.....perhaps the p-5s In the area kept some of their possible recruits along with the rise of some peripheral area g-5s.......but the new conference seemingly upgrade should have been a leading recruiting tool!
    They had 38+ at the game on Sunday and the stadium looked 1/2 full. I think the fan base, that had traditionally been very strong is getting very upset. They should never have fired McNeill. This is one of the cases of getting frustrated with what you have until what you get is worse.

I used to use this example with Bustle. We were bad before Bustle he got us to .500 or close year in and year out. I was not opposed to letting Bustle go, but you never know if the next guy will bring you to 9-4 or 3-9. We were lucky in the fact that Hud got us to 9-4 4 years in a row and bowl games right out the shoot. But ECU got complacent with the 8-4 records and wanted more, unfortunately they got much much less by letting a guy go that wanted to be there. Ruffin was a player and assistant coach at ECU, he was not looking for the big money day. He was content being the HC at ECU. Their best bet would be to hire him back ASAP.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

ECU is getting what they deserve.

McNeil's last 3 years at ECU: 2 Bowl games and a 10 win season

Record versus P5:

W 42-28 North Carolina State
    W 55-31 North Carolina
    L 10-15 Virginia Tech
    L 20-28 Florida
    W 70-41 North Carolina
    W 28-21 Virginia Tech
    L 23-33 South Carolina
    W 35-28 Virginia Tech
    L 24-31 Florida

That's just the last 3 years he was there. ECU's non-conference was the toughest I have ever seen for a G5, and McNeil more than held his own.

This just go's to show that the rise of almost all G5 programs is normally a temporary affair. Heard anyone talk about western Michigan lately?

If I'm remembering correctly, they've had their problems at the AD position as well. A complete dumpster fire right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Their best bet would be to hire him back ASAP.
    Just wondering. In the last couple of decades, has any "major" program done such a thing?

Dont forget, Lincoln Riley was the offensive coordinator for ECU when we beat them in the NOLA bowl.

Looks like ECU really screwed up.

Time flies

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Just wondering. In the last couple of decades, has any "major" program done such a thing?
    Nebraska comes to mind.

To paraphrase Coach Napier, the margin of error at the G5 level is very small, especially for football. Outside of Boise St, I am having trouble naming another consistent G5 winner over the last 10-15 years.

RcL8 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    To paraphrase Coach Napier, the margin of error at the G5 level is very small, especially for football. Outside of Boise St, I am having trouble naming another consistent G5 winner over the last 10-15 years.
    TCU was the other and they turned that success into big12 membership.

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    TCU was the other and they turned that success into big12 membership.
    Yep, I had thought of them, but thought it was longer ago. They, and West Virginia, have only been in the Big 12 for 6 years. After researching it, WVU would probably fall into the category as well. Rich Rodriguez had a ton of success there, that parlayed into the Michigan job for him.

ECU beat North Carolina 41-19 at home last night. 39,000 in attendance.

UNC was a 16 point road favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    ECU beat North Carolina 41-19 at home last night. 39,000 in attendance.

UNC was a 16 point road favorite.
    seems clear why some conferences play on road more than others. would be nice if there was a way to judge apples to apples.