_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

  1. #21
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,248

    UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I hope the folks predicting he won't be here long are right. After all Troy went 10 and 3 last year with a road win against a tough SEC foe and Neal Brown is still there. If he leaves after three years it means we will have accomplished something very special in a short time. Personally I see him taking a little longer than that to get this program as to where he believes the potential is. After all Hud had 9 wins four years in a row and did not have the big names knocking on his door.
    The P5 programs obviously saw weaknesses in Hud that the local fans missed. Those flaws became more and more obvious as the seasons compounded his weaknesses.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,586

    Default Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

    Everybody has a different path. They all have different agents. Napier is from a coaching tree that gets guys hired. It depends on who has an opening and when and his connections to that Program. There is no set criteria to a coach getting a bigger gig. It isn't "you get this, when you do this" Nobody knows who what where when and how that may happen. Neal Brown still being at Troy has nothing to do with what will happen to Napier. No more than what happens with freeze, malzahn and Garson has anything to do with Brown getting a bigger job. What exactly has willie taggart accomplished to be where he is? And where he has been? Nothing that jumps off the paper.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,829

    Default Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I hope the folks predicting he won't be here long are right. After all Troy went 10 and 3 last year with a road win against a tough SEC foe and Neal Brown is still there. If he leaves after three years it means we will have accomplished something very special in a short time. Personally I see him taking a little longer than that to get this program as to where he believes the potential is. After all Hud had 9 wins four years in a row and did not have the big names knocking on his door.
    Once again, it takes more than just going 9-5 against Sun Belt, CUSA and FCS teams. It takes significant wins against good teams, ranked teams, or decent P5 teams, something Hud never ever had. It also takes more than one of these. Hud also had bone-head losses, which had the negative effect on his program.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Once again, it takes more than just going 9-5 against Sun Belt, CUSA and FCS teams. It takes significant wins against good teams, ranked teams, or decent P5 teams, something Hud never ever had. It also takes more than one of these. Hud also had bone-head losses, which had the negative effect on his program.
    Who did freeze, malzhan or Harsin beat? The SBC...timing might be the most important thing behind ability.

  5. #25
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Once again, it takes more than just going 9-5 against Sun Belt, CUSA and FCS teams. It takes significant wins against good teams, ranked teams, or decent P5 teams, something Hud never ever had. It also takes more than one of these. Hud also had bone-head losses, which had the negative effect on his program.
    I agree with the bulk of this post. We also have no idea what type product we will put on the field. All indications are it will be improved in many regards but we have no way of being certain that is the case. While I think it is very unlikely, history indicates we may ask him to move on ourselves within five years. Granted, the support he is getting has nowhere near been provided in the past. That is why I say it is very unlikely but nothing is certain in life.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,829

    Default Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Who did freeze, malzhan or Harsin beat? The SBC...timing might be the most important thing behind ability.
    What do all 3 have in common? They all went back to where they were from. Malzhan and Harsin were OC/QB coaches at Auburn and Boise respectively. Freeze was born in Oxford, also coached there. So, there is always exceptions, but I don't see Coach Napier going back to Arizona St, but would he go to Alabama? You know the answer to that.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,679

    Default Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Who did freeze, malzhan or Harsin beat? The SBC...timing might be the most important thing behind ability.
    I agree with this. Also, depending on the AD who's doing the hiring, a coach's character, demeanor, and connection to his players and fans might make a difference.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    What do all 3 have in common? They all went back to where they were from. Malzhan and Harsin were OC/QB coaches at Auburn and Boise respectively. Freeze was born in Oxford, also coached there. So, there is always exceptions, but I don't see Coach Napier going back to Arizona St, but would he go to Alabama? You know the answer to that.
    Exactly..timing..and if miss state was looking for a head coach in huds first 3 years he would have been a very serious candidate and probably gotten the job. There is no set script or set formula ..and Arizona state is a very serious option, the Edwards experiment could go South quickly and a lot of people at ASU thought Napier should have gotten the job last time and were sick to see him leave. Too many different examples to draw parralels from any of them. For almost every example, you can find an exact opposite scenario. Neal Brown has the most impressive SBC win in conference history and is still in the SBC but i bet if Kentucky or Texas Tech were looking for a head coach he wouldn't be. You just said it takes more than beating the SBC...and actually everything guy who has moved on to bigger jobs from the SBC has only beat the SBC and G5....all the guys who beat power 5 are out of coaching are still at the SBC school or other G5 schools:

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,679

    Default Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Exactly..timing..and if miss state was looking for a head coach in huds first 3 years he would have been a very serious candidate and probably gotten the job. There is no set script or set formula ..and Arizona state is a very serious option, the Edwards experiment could go South quickly and a lot of people at ASU thought Napier should have gotten the job last time and were sick to see him leave. Too many different examples to draw parralels from any of them. For almost every example, you can find an exact opposite scenario. Neal Brown has the most impressive SBC win in conference history and is still in the SBC but i bet if Kentucky or Texas Tech were looking for a head coach he wouldn't be.
    Which amplifies the importance of timing to both parties......but especially to the one being offered. At the G5 level, it would likely be a serious error to turn down a significant move upwards "because there's more work to do here", or, "one or two more years here and I can really add value to my resume".

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Which amplifies the importance of timing to both parties......but especially to the one being offered. At the G5 level, it would likely be a serious error to turn down a significant move upwards "because there's more work to do here", or, "one or two more years here and I can really add value to my resume".
    Absolutely but if ole miss, auburn or Boise weren't the ones looking those guys would most likely be Neal Brown. Hud would have most likely gotten a head coaching position in the SEC if miss state was looking at the time. Doesn't change who he is or what he accomplished...just timing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •