_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Default Tulsa Budget Cuts...

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...mpression=true

...Specific numbers aren't known, but recent budget cuts have affected all aspects of TU's operation. In an effort to avoid a reduction in services for student-athletes, Gragg said, Hurricane football coach Philip Montgomery, men's basketball coach Frank Haith and Gragg himself all have accepted pay cuts...
    ...TU also is hopeful that the next American Athletic Conference television deal is more lucrative...
    That next AAC TV deal better be awesome or all heck is gonna break loose.

I know this. We are sprinting around the turn with eyes on the prize while the guys in front of us are tightening up big time.

DieHard1280 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...mpression=true

That next AAC TV deal better be awesome or all heck is gonna break loose.

I know this. We are sprinting around the turn with eyes on the prize while the guys in front of us are tightening up big time.
    Sounds a lot like the story I was told about Stuller Settings' ascension when I was working there in college back in the early 90's. As the story was told, he expanded when the price of gold plummeted while his competitors contracted. Hopefully our athletic program follows a similar path.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tulsa Budget Cuts...

Why does AAC's South Florida get nearly 2x more TV money vs Tulsa?

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Why does AAC's South Florida get nearly 2x more TV money vs Tulsa?
    Basically because USF was a member of the Big East they , Uconn and Cincy are splitting the exit fees from Louisville and Rutgers. Also I believe your son is going to Wichita State for baseball. Their fanbase for baseball is similar to the Cajuns. Both schools draw better than most p5 schools. I grew up in Wichita just as the Shockers were restarting baseball . My parents will probably be attending some of your son's games. Best wishes to him in Wichita as most are really good folks.

Quote Originally Posted by wscoog View Post
    Basically because USF was a member of the Big East they , Uconn and Cincy are splitting the exit fees from Louisville and Rutgers. Also I believe your son is going to Wichita State for baseball. Their fanbase for baseball is similar to the Cajuns. Both schools draw better than most p5 schools. I grew up in Wichita just as the Shockers were restarting baseball . My parents will probably be attending some of your son's games. Best wishes to him in Wichita as most are really good folks.
    Are you sure about USF and the Big EAst? I thought they had been in CUSA.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbfounded View Post
    Yes I am sure .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wscoog View Post
    Thank you wscoog, I hope to meet you et parents in Spring 2020....I'll find a way to have something vermilion red on so should be easy to ID at WSU games!!!

I know that it may not be relevant, but how many years have we gone through budget cuts as a university? We've had practice and know how to do it and expand.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by dumbfounded View Post
    USF was Big East. UCF was CUSA

I wonder how many of these upper G5 schools are in the same financial boat. Seems as though many didn't get the ROI they were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    USF was Big East. UCF was CUSA
    Same questions were asked about USF and the money they are still receiving on the Tulane fan sight and one poster offered the following details:

They are correct - USF is still getting payments from the exit fees from the prior Big East teams. It looks like if football-only Navy is excluded and the 3 leftovers are excluded, there is about a $2M difference between the remaining teams with Houston at the top and Tulane at the bottom.

"n 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn ($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston ($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU ($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league's revenue breakdown."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... story.html

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    I wonder how many of these upper G5 schools are in the same financial boat. Seems as though many didn't get the ROI they were expecting.
    While I've not looked at their financials, I sometimes wonder how long certain programs, like UConn for instance, will continue to support a football program when attendance is way down and some fans are pushing for spending more money on basketball instead. College football just isn't very popular generally in the NE.

UConn Football Hoping For Attendance Rebound After Record-Low Season

he UConn football team's 15th season at Rentschler Field featured the worst home attendance in program history as on-field struggles continued to coincide with increased fan apathy.

In six East Hartford games last season, the average announced crowd was 20,334. That was significantly down from 26,796, the second-lowest in history, in 2016.

Never before have so many blue seat-backs and so much gray concrete been visible during play at The Rent, which opened in 2003 and features two Big East championship banners on the press box facade. The building once sold out regularly.

The Huskies' final 2017 game there was a 37-20 loss to South Florida, which had been a nationally ranked team most of the season, on Nov. 4. Attendance was 18,430 that day, which was initially slated for a game against East Carolina. The reshuffling of those two games was part of what ultimately became a quirky schedule that did UConn no favors and created unforeseen challenges in drawing power.

"It was a down year in terms of numbers of people and tickets we sold, and that's disappointing because we had an SEC team [Missouri] roll in and a really good South Florida team," athletic director David Benedict said in November. "We expect that there are people out there who will support us, even though we are not where we need to be. And everybody knows that. That's why we made the change in coaches.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...208-story.html

Fortunately we were able to stave off budget cuts this year. Our athletic budget has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Let's say our goal is growing athletic revenues $10MM over next five years. I don't know the department's five year goal, but seems we need to grow our average football ticket sales/attendance to upper 20's by next season at least! Then into the 30's. Nothing goes up and up in a straight line though. Football obviously must win. Cajun football has more upside than Tulsa.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Fortunately we were able to stave off budget cuts this year. Our athletic budget has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Let's say our goal is growing athletic revenues $10MM over next five years. I don't know the department's five year goal, but seems we need to grow our average football ticket sales/attendance to upper 20's by next season at least! Then into the 30's. Nothing goes up and up in a straight line though. Football obviously must win. Cajun football has more upside than Tulsa.
    I can't honestly see us ever averaging much over 33-35,000 for a season within the next decade. We just don't have that kind of fan base yet. We need sustained 9+ win seasons, P5 upsets and better home scheduling.

Not to mention keep hitting home runs with coaching staffs. If Napier and crew can win 30 games over 4 seasons he's a gone pecan.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I can't honestly see us ever averaging much over 33-35,000 for a season within the next decade. We just don't have that kind of fan base yet. We need sustained 9+ win seasons, P5 upsets and better home scheduling.

Not to mention keep hitting home runs with coaching staffs. If Napier and crew can win 30 games over 4 seasons he's a gone pecan.
    I'd be fine with the P5's beating his door down after year 2.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    I'd be fine with the P5's beating his door down after year 2.
    I would personally like to see him coach three full season here. That would give us 3.5 recruiting cycles to build this program. If we sign everyone we have committed right now and get 2 more full classes similar to this one after then we will be 100% better off than when Napier took over.

We could always be Urban Meyers redemption story. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

Many on here know more about this stuff than I do, but I think he would have to do better tan 8 & 4/ 9 & 3 to go to a really solid P5 program, and I don't see him leaving for a middle to lower P5 program unless he believes that it has a lot of potential.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Many on here know more about this stuff than I do, but I think he would have to do better tan 8 & 4/ 9 & 3 to go to a really solid P5 program, and I don't see him leaving for a middle to lower P5 program unless he believes that it has a lot of potential.
    I hope the folks predicting he won't be here long are right. After all Troy went 10 and 3 last year with a road win against a tough SEC foe and Neal Brown is still there. If he leaves after three years it means we will have accomplished something very special in a short time. Personally I see him taking a little longer than that to get this program as to where he believes the potential is. After all Hud had 9 wins four years in a row and did not have the big names knocking on his door.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I hope the folks predicting he won't be here long are right. After all Troy went 10 and 3 last year with a road win against a tough SEC foe and Neal Brown is still there. If he leaves after three years it means we will have accomplished something very special in a short time. Personally I see him taking a little longer than that to get this program as to where he believes the potential is. After all Hud had 9 wins four years in a row and did not have the big names knocking on his door.
    Exactly. I believe it will take two or three seasons of 10 & 2 or better with at lest two wins against GOOD P5 programs for him to get the kind of P5 or top echelon G5 offers it will take for him to leave.And I believe there are only three or four G5 programs (mainly AAC) that would be attractive to him and that geographically make sense. For example, I don't see a Boise being interested in him simply from a geography standpoint. I think it much more likely they would go for a coordinator at a Pacific Northwest or West Coast school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast