_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Coach Napier

Default Re: Coach Napier

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    3 reasons for that.

1) The Abyss. The self imposed death penalty from '97-02 burned a perception of failure in the minds of young people for many years. Talk about branding.

2) Drinking Age. The raising of the legal limit to 21 in 1996 really drained the energy from college life.

3) The Frickin' Internet. Smart phones would be of little significance without the internet, but after 2 decades of oxycontin level technology addiction, college students basically have a giant USB port for a face instead of eyes, ears and mouth that most of us old timners use to experience live and interact with other humans.

As far as #2 goes, the strip did not exactly follow that law/ policy for at least a decade afterwards. (Not complaining at all) 😂

Other than #1, every university in the state would have the same issue. As far as #1 goes, I certainly don't hope there are still students at the university from that era. Oh and any student entering UL now would have been easily under 5 at the time, so doubtful that was burnt into their minds then.

Bottom line is the athletic department and the university have to figure out a way to make it part of the cULture to get students to the games.

Blog Entries

#1 causes the fan death of the generation impacted, with their home fire DNA attitude passed down to subsequent generations.

Still, its not hopeless due to the constant influx of new students.

Valid point, but taking those 4-6 years of said Abyss and how many students were impacted, then you have to look at those subsequent generations and how many of them ended up at UL.

I'm not saying that it didn't hurt, but to say it is a big reason for lack of student attendance just doesn't add up to me.

LSU student attendance seemed to be doing OK after Archer/Hallman/DiNardo.

Our student attendance/support has decreased in football and basketball. Unless you put out an entertaining product, with pre & post game events, make it easy to get there, most kids will just stream it from their dorm if they are kinda interested.

Every university is battling issues with student attendance, because of the technology and generation of ADHD kids. It is even harder to do when there isn't a strong history of that student involvement.

Living in Texas, I have now gone to two different New Student Orientations for college (1 more to go in 3 years). The oldest went to UT, and at that NSO, they actively marketed going to football games to the students and the parents. This is when Charlie Strong was there, so not very good, but they still did a great job of selling the game day environment and all the things to do.

The second son just went to UH's NSO and though not quite as good at marketing the game day experience to the parents, they sure did a good job with kids.

There has to be a partnership between the university and the athletic department. The real issue can be pointed back to Authement, but that dead horse has been beaten to infinity. I trust Maggard, Yantko, & T-Joe that can and want to get this done, but it isn't a light switch that can be turned on. It is roll up your sleeves, stay after it, keep in their faces work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4