_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CUSA Budget Cuts

Default Re: CUSA Budget Cuts

Thanks for posting the article. More evidence of CUSA's failed 'markets' strategy. Surprised the older CUSA members like USM, UAB, Rice, and UTEP haven't tried to break away yet with a few others + Ark St and UL. A G5 realignment might not make much difference in TV revenues anyway, at least not in the short term. However the fans and student athletes will benefit from closer rivalries. I guess pride is getting in the way of changes for the better.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: CUSA Budget Cuts

So we could be playing Rice, LTUR, N Texas, and Southern Miss instead of stAte, MoanRow, and Tx State, yeah, looks like Farmer really knew the layout.

In spite of losing lots of money, CUSA members are getting essentially what SBC gets, are still viewed as a better conference, and better bowls overall.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So we could be playing Rice, LTUR, N Texas, and Southern Miss instead of stAte, MoanRow, and Tx State, yeah, looks like Farmer really knew the layout.

In spite of losing lots of money, CUSA members are getting essentially what SBC gets, are still viewed as a better conference, and better bowls overall.
    cusa wants out of several of their far away bowls that fans cant travel to, and it has only been cusa AD's that have been publicly saying there conference situation is unsustainable. plus 2 of there schools have been on record for needing to or already making cuts to the athletic budgets. hey, i get it, cusa looks better to you and maybe a lot of cajun fans simply for rice, s.miss and la.tech alone. but as far as the entire conference, im sure lots ( being conservative) of people view them as equal to the sun belt. oh, few cared about n.texas in the sun belt, nothing changes that now there in cusa

is it blasphemy to say playing rice is not some magic happy pill? they have been bad at football for quite awhile now, maybe if your older than 40( really just grabbed a age, could be even older), you remember them in the old swc and they have emotional meaning to you, but other than a close road trip for cajun fans, and for the houston base cajun fans , what is the excitement about playing rice football team?

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    is it blasphemy to say playing rice is not some magic happy pill? they have been bad at football for quite awhile now, maybe if your older than 40( really just grabbed a age, could be even older), you remember them in the old swc and they have emotional meaning to you, but other than a close road trip for cajun fans, and for the houston base cajun fans , what is the excitement about playing rice football team?
    It's a winnable OC road game within 4 hours of Lafayette

The reasons you listed are reason enough. Would you rather play rice or so ala in football? I will take Rice

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    The reasons you listed are reason enough. Would you rather play rice or so ala in football? I will take Rice
    We could also be playing Charlotte, Old Dominion, FIU, and FAU. No thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    100 % agreed. The SE La, gramblings, southerns should be played based on how much $$$ we get for the gate.. Otherwise Rice is very doable for road trips or home and home (win/win).

We usually have 4 OOC games. I'm all in for the following

1. Heyman Classic
    2. An away game within 6 hours of Lafayette
    3. A game vs Tulane, La Tech, or S. Miss, Memphis or Houston
    4. A money game vs a SEC or Big 12

im good with the reason being because its a close road game. rice is just different than say s.miss and tech. both are close, but also have a competitive excitement about them. just making sure rice wasn't viewed the same way and i was somehow missing it and weird. well, i'm still weird, you get my point

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: CUSA Budget Cuts

cusa wants out of several of their far away bowls that fans cant travel to, and it has only been cusa AD's that have been publicly saying there conference situation is unsustainable. plus 2 of there schools have been on record for needing to or already making cuts to the athletic budgets. hey, i get it, cusa looks better to you and maybe a lot of cajun fans simply for rice, s.miss and la.tech alone. but as far as the entire conference, im sure lots ( being conservative) of people view them as equal to the sun belt. oh, few cared about n.texas in the sun belt, nothing changes that now there in cusa
    That bowl in Memphis, the bowl in Dallas. We've got a great bowl in NOLA and that's it. Oh,they're also playing the NOLA Bowl. You bring up Charlotte, well we've got Coastal. But WKU is pretty good.

As for cutting budgets, no SBC had to cut it's TV, sadly SBC teams never had a significant TV budget.

The SBC is equally far flung, so maybe it'd be better not to mention that.

If'n You're saying both suck equally, I'd say we're still suck'n more.

That bowl in Memphis, the bowl in Dallas. We've got a great bowl in NOLA and that's it. Oh,they're also playing the NOLA Bowl. You bring up Charlotte, well we've got Coastal. But WKU is pretty good.

As for cutting budgets, no SBC had to cut it's TV, sadly SBC teams never had a significant TV budget.

The SBC is equally far flung, so maybe it'd be better not to mention that.

If'n You're saying both suck equally, I'd say we're still suck'n more.
    im not trying to stop you from saying sun belt sucks more. what im saying is your reasons you listed for that suck is not completely true.

so what bowl game does cusa have in memphis? they dont have one. they have 1 in new mexico, 1 in the bahamas, and 1 in south florida and 1 in tampa florida with 1 in new orleans, so yeah, i say thats far away bowls that are hard on fans traveling.

i also didnt bring up charlotte, but im sure they can give good ammo if i wanted to. i only said what a couple of their own AD's have said about themselves.

the sun belt is much, and yes i use much, more settled into a tighter footprint than cusa. think utep to marshall and odu down to fau and fiu.

again, i understand any cajun fan that sees tech, s.miss, rice, uab and wants to be with that group. my point was once you add in the rest of cusa membership, the 2 conferences look more equal as opposed to them being a better conference, with better bowls.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

im not trying to stop you from saying sun belt sucks more. what im saying is your reasons you listed for that suck is not completely true.

so what bowl game does cusa have in memphis? they dont have one. they have 1 in new mexico, 1 in the bahamas, and 1 in south florida and 1 in tampa florida with 1 in new orleans, so yeah, i say thats far away bowls that are hard on fans traveling.

i also didnt bring up charlotte, but im sure they can give good ammo if i wanted to. i only said what a couple of their own AD's have said about themselves.

the sun belt is much, and yes i use much, more settled into a tighter footprint than cusa. think utep to marshall and odu down to fau and fiu.

again, i understand any cajun fan that sees tech, s.miss, rice, uab and wants to be with that group. my point was once you add in the rest of cusa membership, the 2 conferences look more equal as opposed to them being a better conference, with better bowls.
    ........Coming out. The. Gate Cusa has the 3 worst ranked teams in the country....the rest are sprinkled with some a bit higher!!!

Yeah, I forgot that the Liberty Bowl left with Memphis.

As for teams we play. LATURD, and Southern Miss alone are worth the move

Yeah, I forgot that the Liberty Bowl left with Memphis.

As for teams we play. LATURD, and Southern Miss alone are worth the move
    So is Rice (we need a Houston presence in arguably the #1 recruiting city in the country and our largest alumni base outside of Lafayette).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    So is Rice (we need a Houston presence in arguably the #1 recruiting city in the country and our largest alumni base outside of Lafayette).
    Forgot to mention the academic association with Rice (which is higher than any other FBS university not in a P5 conference).

Anyone who believes we would have been worse off playing in CUSA than the SBC over the last decade is high.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Anyone who believes we would have been worse off playing in CUSA than the SBC over the last decade is high.
    i dont think you will find anyone to say that. Louisiana in cusa is 100% would have been the right move specially for our situation( just like texas state feels), however my only point was when looking at the current 2 conferences in their entirety, they feel really equal to me. now a cusa with Louisiana vs a sun belt without Louisiana and the gap becomes huge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view
    now a cusa with Louisiana vs a sun belt without Louisiana and the gap becomes huge.
    I agree.

We accurately judge CUSA without Louisiana. We know what that looks like.

As is, there is a level of parity

For fair comparison studies, exclude Louisiana from the SBC and the conference starts to fall apart.

jmo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2