_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    The Pels will have a good competitive team, but elfrid for Rondo and Randall for Boogie does not make them better. What Boogie signed for is ridiculous and shows the NBA has a major problem on its hands. It is hard to make fans sit through a 82 game schedule and 4 playoff rounds when you already know who will be the last 4 teams standing.
    As for Elfrid, this is now his make or break year. If he can consistently link up with Davis and improve his defense he can reestablish himself as a starting NBA point guard. If not, he will become a journeyman.
    I agree Cousins is a better player than Randle. However, Randle may be a better fit for the style of play they employed at the end of last season. As far as the last four teams standing goes, I agree that is an issue for the NBA and 26 other teams. Personally, I don't think the Lakers are one of those four teams if injuries are not involved. Houston and GS in the East with Boston/Philly in the East. I am not sure that the Pels are not better than the current Lakers. I think SA forces Leonard to sit out this year rather than trading him to the Lakers. With Leonard, the Lakers may push Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    why does everyone here think he was a good defender. i love elfrid, but he is a below average defender (for a starter at least)
    And what tells you he is a below average defender?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Pelicans just got a lot worse, Lakers can now trade with SanAntonio and still be loaded.
    Not really. There is no way S.A. is going to ship Leonard for a bunch of guys on one year contracts especially when the Lakers are not making Ball, Kuzma or Ingram available and the Lakers don't really have to trade for him because of his intent to join next season.

The Pelicans got better AFTER the cousins injury and it had everything to do with Dru Holiday playing off of the ball and Rondo distributing. Adding Mirotic also helped spacing and cleared the paint for AD.

Boogie is a problem waiting to happen. Pels are better off and I think they (including AD) know it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The Pelicans got better AFTER the cousins injury and it had everything to do with Dru Holiday playing off of the ball and Rondo distributing. Adding Mirotic also helped spacing and cleared the paint for AD.

Boogie is a problem waiting to happen. Pels are better off and I think they (including AD) know it.
    You know, honestly, I said this when they made the trade for Cousins nearly two years ago. I know people said I was nuts but he does NOT fit the system Gentry wants to run which is a hybrid of the Warriors. I personally don't think we have the best personnel for that system but last year, we seemed to play better without Cousins and were playing pretty damned well in the playoffs.

Before his injury, Cousins would take the ball up the court which made Rondo positionless and he was barely playing. The problem is that Cousins had one of the highest usage rates in the league last year and the ball stayed glued to his hands, often for too long. This system requires ball movement and player movement and we didn't have it. We took lots of poor shots because of it and really played at a slower pace which was not optimal for the makeup of the team.

Cousins goes down and while the number of wins were not really better without him the style of play and effectiveness were much better. The problem with this whole scenario is I wished we would have done a sign and trade with him to at least get something for him. We essentially gave up two lottery picks to get him for 65 games. That's some fumbling right there.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yep, slap in the face of Davis after he wore his jersey in the all-star game!
    Not really. According to Boogie, the Pels didn't even offer him and I somewhat believe him since he had to make contact with GS just to talk to them. I would have hoped the Pels offered mid level exception or sign and trade but apparently, we didn't do anything once we got Randle who fits our system better.

raginsaints is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

That's bull____. The Pelicans and Boogie definitely had discussions on an offer. Just because they didn't sit down and lay down an offer doesn't mean there wasn't an offer. He got his feelings hurt because he didn't get a max contract offer and made an emotional decision to cut ties with the Pelicans. That's on him.

Also love the R/Pels sidebar

Attached Images Attached Images  

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Not really. According to Boogie, the Pels didn't even offer him and I somewhat believe him since he had to make contact with GS just to talk to them. I would have hoped the Pels offered mid level exception or sign and trade but apparently, we didn't do anything once we got Randle who fits our system better.
    . Pelicans initially offered a lot more than that though it may have been informal. He changed his story from they never made an offer to they never made a serious offer. Apparently to him, anything less than the max was not a "serious" offer. Not enough attention has been paid to what Randle can bring in my view. Last year he 16 and 8 while playing in all 82 games. Right now they are better inside than the team that swept the Blazers. Point guard is a different matter. For the first time in his career, EP will have true pressure to perform. He never has played on a playoff team and was just playing out the year by late February. Elevation of his performance compared to past may be the key to another successful season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    He has one of the elite defenders in the league with him in the backcourt now in Jrue Holiday. He will also have two pretty good defenders down low to help him out in Randle and Davis. Randle was the one guy on last year's Lakers team who played defense well. Elfrid will have lots of pressure on him to perform as the other four starters return and they added Randle.
    Sure, I think he has the opportunity to improve as he is just 24 years old. But I've never heard of Elfrid being considered an elite defender in the NBA, that may the opinion of over enthusiastic fans ,he has never been mentioned in the Top 3 All-Defensive NBA teams.

Regardless, I look forward to him playing in New Orleans and having the opportunity to attend a few games this season.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    The Pels will have a good competitive team, but elfrid for Rondo and Randall for Boogie does not make them better. What Boogie signed for is ridiculous and shows the NBA has a major problem on its hands. It is hard to make fans sit through a 82 game schedule and 4 playoff rounds when you already know who will be the last 4 teams standing.
    As for Elfrid, this is now his make or break year. If he can consistently link up with Davis and improve his defense he can reestablish himself as a starting NBA point guard. If not, he will become a journeyman.
    No doubt that the Pelicans improved after Boogie went down, both in quality of wins and percentage. No doubt losing Rondo is a negative.

The way the team is structured I'm thinking we're better off with Randel vs Boogie. Still a healthy Boogie is the better player in a vacuum. I just think Davis deferred too much to Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Sure, I think he has the opportunity to improve as he is just 24 years old. But I've never heard of Elfrid being considered an elite defender in the NBA, that may the opinion of over enthusiastic fans ,he has never been mentioned in the Top 3 All-Defensive NBA teams.

Regardless, I look forward to him playing in New Orleans and having the opportunity to attend a few games this season.

When I said the Pels had an elite defender at guard, I meant Holiday. Payton is nowhere near him as a player on either offense or defense and likely never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    That's bull____. The Pelicans and Boogie definitely had discussions on an offer. Just because they didn't sit down and lay down an offer doesn't mean there wasn't an offer. He got his feelings hurt because he didn't get a max contract offer and made an emotional decision to cut ties with the Pelicans. That's on him.
    There were talks but that doesn't mean there was an offer. The Pelicans offered him a 2 year - $40 million dollar deal before the end of last season between when he ruptured his tendon but before the end of the season. He declined and they took it off the table. I truly don't know if anything was offered as the Pels knew that he had no real interest on the market and it may have ____ed him off that they weren't willing to come to the table again. Don't know. We won't know until the front office is able to discuss it when there is no moratorium.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post

I agree with that. They moved the ball around much better once Rondo was on the point as the sole handler. Remember, before Cousins' injury, he would often take the ball up the floor and hold it in the half court. Guys like Rondo are almost useless in that situation as they are not great shooters. Rondo was playing about 20 minutes a game and was not a factor. Once Boogie got hurt, he ran the point and was the catalyst.

. Pelicans initially offered a lot more than that though it may have been informal. He changed his story from they never made an offer to they never made a serious offer. Apparently to him, anything less than the max was not a "serious" offer. Not enough attention has been paid to what Randle can bring in my view. Last year he 16 and 8 while playing in all 82 games. Right now they are better inside than the team that swept the Blazers. Point guard is a different matter. For the first time in his career, EP will have true pressure to perform. He never has played on a playoff team and was just playing out the year by late February. Elevation of his performance compared to past may be the key to another successful season.
    As I stated above, the Pelicans offered him a 2 year, $40 million deal after the injury last year but before the end of the season. They wanted to commit and lock him up. He didn't take that offer and they pulled it off the table. This is fact. Over the past week, the Pelicans were not as willing to commit when they saw he had few real options and Julius Randle was going to be available as he fits the system better and is younger, although we may only have him one year again as his second year of his contract is a player option. Losing Rondo sucks, it would have been nice to have him start with Jrue and bring Payton off the bench.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I agree with that. They moved the ball around much better once Rondo was on the point as the sole handler. Remember, before Cousins' injury, he would often take the ball up the floor and hold it in the half court. Guys like Rondo are almost useless in that situation as they are not great shooters. Rondo was playing about 20 minutes a game and was not a factor. Once Boogie got hurt, he ran the point and was the catalyst.
    ....Removed from the talent and strategy, I think it is a dream come true for EP.......can you imagine coming from a too young HS grad from NO to UL where nobody knew who the hell he was.....so he shows up as a possible starter for the hometown Pels....I know he had some Summer camps in NO, but I hope this helps UL!!!

Below is a link to just one of the many stories about the contract offer last year. Again, that was before the end of the season, not in free agency. Boogie had no real suitors a couple of weeks ago due to the nature of his injury and whether he would even play this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...contract-offer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ....Removed from the talent and strategy, I think it is a dream come true for EP.......can you imagine coming from a too young HS grad from NO to UL where nobody knew who the hell he was.....so he shows up as a possible starter for the hometown Pels....I know he had some Summer camps in NO, but I hope this helps UL!!!
    Its a great story Boomer only if he succeeds. Like Mike said, there is a certain pressure for him to perform this year. I hope he's up to the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Payton
    Holiday
    Randle
    Mirotic
    Davis

Not a bad starting five. Just need some quality depth on the bench with a shooter and veteran point guard to mentor Elfrid.
    That won't be the starting five. Randle is not a SF and Moore started there later last year with Holiday and Rondo. Randle will likely come off the bench to spell Mirotic. The Pelicans need backup guard play in the worst way. Starters wise, they can play with anybody in the league, where they along with other mid level teams struggle is with the quality of the bench play. Frank Jackson and the rookie from Penn State are not going to be the answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast