_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

  1. #21
    wcd35's Avatar
    wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,531

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Rondo signed with the Lakers


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,574

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Rondo signed with the Lakers
    Yep, just breaking. So Payton's going to get LOTS of minutes.

  3. #23
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,040

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Pelicans just got a lot worse, Lakers can now trade with SanAntonio and still be loaded.


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Yep, just breaking. So Payton's going to get LOTS of minutes.
    It also means there is more money to sign Boogie Cousins. I will be shocked if Cousins signs with LA now because of McGee joining LeBron.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,574

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    It also means there is more money to sign Boogie Cousins. I will be shocked if Cousins signs with LA now because of McGee joining LeBron.
    Pelicans just signed Julius Randle, who the Lakers renounced to have money to sign Rondo, and both players are making $9 million this year, so it was basically an even trade salary-wise. I'm in the opposite boat; after this move, I'd be surprised if Cousins went anywhere other than LA, because it looks like the Pelicans are moving on and I don't know that there's a ton of market for him anywhere else. He could be waiting to see if Golden State is interested, but word is they're waiting for New Jersey to reach a buyout with Dwight Howard. So we'll see.

    Also, can we talk about how crazy the NBA's salary cap is? Because he's our own free agent, we can afford to pay Cousins almost a max deal, but if he leaves, we get no extra cap room. Then there are bird rights, options, hard caps, soft caps, luxury tax, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,574

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Pelicans just got a lot worse, Lakers can now trade with SanAntonio and still be loaded.
    I think LeBron signing with LA weakened San Antonio's market position because Kawhi Leonard won't give any other team a commitment, and LeBron getting to LA only strengthens his resolve to get there one way or the other. Nobody's parting with a ton of good young players and high picks for what they know will be a one-year rental. The Lakers can pretty much just sit pat and wait for him to come as a free agent next year, which they now have the room to do outright because they renounced Julius Randle and most of the guys they've signed outside of LeBron so far are only 1-year deals, and they can do so without gutting their young core of Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, and Lonzo Ball. Ingram and Kuzma, in particular, are going to be important for them offensively because guys they've just added around LeBron like Lance Stephenson and Rondo aren't exactly known for filling up buckets every night. The Lakers could still end up offering something like Lonzo and a couple 1st round picks for Leonard just to try and skip the wait, but with LeBron making them now a destination for other players, and them with the salary cap to go sign those players, the pressure to part with assets for the future is way down.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Pelicans just signed Julius Randle, who the Lakers renounced to have money to sign Rondo, and both players are making $9 million this year, so it was basically an even trade salary-wise. I'm in the opposite boat; after this move, I'd be surprised if Cousins went anywhere other than LA, because it looks like the Pelicans are moving on and I don't know that there's a ton of market for him anywhere else. He could be waiting to see if Golden State is interested, but word is they're waiting for New Jersey to reach a buyout with Dwight Howard. So we'll see.

    Also, can we talk about how crazy the NBA's salary cap is? Because he's our own free agent, we can afford to pay Cousins almost a max deal, but if he leaves, we get no extra cap room. Then there are bird rights, options, hard caps, soft caps, luxury tax, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
    Well, my comment was pre-Randle sign. LA just signed McGee and have Brooke Lopez on the roster as well. If they sign Boogie, Lopez would have to be traded or cut, they don't need three centers capable of playing with the first two units.

    My guess NO is slightly still in play for Boogie, but he told them he's going to LA to talk with them and the Pelicans front office didn't want to be left with no options at center.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Boogie isn't going to LA or staying in NOLA...GS bound...


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Boogie isn't going to LA or staying in NOLA...GS bound...
    1 year 5.3 mill
    Ridiculous

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    1 year 5.3 mill
    Ridiculous
    Yep, slap in the face of Davis after he wore his jersey in the all-star game!

  11. #31
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,040

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Boggie playing for a ring. Nobody knows about his recovery, that's a very iffy rehab I hear.


  12. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Boggie playing for a ring. Nobody knows about his recovery, that's a very iffy rehab I hear.
    His rehab was going awesome yesterday. Today, it sucks. Dude probably will never play again LOL

  13. #33
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Boggie playing for a ring. Nobody knows about his recovery, that's a very iffy rehab I hear.
    Some say Boogie won't be at full strength until almost Christmas. GS is OK with that as they focus on late May and June. I heard a little earlier that Boston was his 2nd choice. Obviously chasing a ring this year and hoping to get a big contract next summer. Davis actually lobbied to bring Randle on board which tells me he was OK with Boogie moving on. Randle is a better fit for the Pelicans if they continue to try to play at the pace they did last year. He won't shoot threes like Boogie did and won't take the ball away from the guArds to bring the ball upcourt. As Far as Elfrid's defense is concerned, many analysts have said he does fine when guarding the ball but struggles when forced to switch or has to guard guys who move well without the ball.

  14. #34
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Some say Boogie won't be at full strength until almost Christmas. GS is OK with that as they focus on late May and June. I heard a little earlier that Boston was his 2nd choice. Obviously chasing a ring this year and hoping to get a big contract next summer. Davis actually lobbied to bring Randle on board which tells me he was OK with Boogie moving on. Randle is a better fit for the Pelicans if they continue to try to play at the pace they did last year. He won't shoot threes like Boogie did and won't take the ball away from the guArds to bring the ball upcourt. As Far as Elfrid's defense is concerned, many analysts have said he does fine when guarding the ball but struggles when forced to switch or has to guard guys who move well without the ball.
    Also, my understanding is that EP is the projected starter at point now. They hope to bring in a competent backup to him so as Holiday can play off the ball as much as possible. They also hope to bring in a wing player with more size than E twan Moore for defensive purposes. Right now they probably are not as good at guard as they were at the end of last season due to Payton replacing Rondo. However they are much better inside as they now have a competent third big to compliment Davis and Mirotic. In my eyes EP has lots of pressure to perform if they expect to have another successful season.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Cousins doesn't give a crap about a ring.. he's chasing a team that he knows will be playing at the very end of the season, because that's probably his best chance of playing this year


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Some say Boogie won't be at full strength until almost Christmas. GS is OK with that as they focus on late May and June. I heard a little earlier that Boston was his 2nd choice. Obviously chasing a ring this year and hoping to get a big contract next summer. Davis actually lobbied to bring Randle on board which tells me he was OK with Boogie moving on. Randle is a better fit for the Pelicans if they continue to try to play at the pace they did last year. He won't shoot threes like Boogie did and won't take the ball away from the guArds to bring the ball upcourt. As Far as Elfrid's defense is concerned, many analysts have said he does fine when guarding the ball but struggles when forced to switch or has to guard guys who move well without the ball.
    Mike, I'm not certain how many analysts have spoken on Elfrid's defense, but he had problems with screens because of his lack of strength coming into the league. He has gotten stronger, but he is no match for quick guards off the dribble, I've seen enough of his games.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Loreauville, LA
    Posts
    2,223

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Payton
    Holiday
    Randle
    Mirotic
    Davis

    Not a bad starting five. Just need some quality depth on the bench with a shooter and veteran point guard to mentor Elfrid.


  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,300

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    The Pels will have a good competitive team, but elfrid for Rondo and Randall for Boogie does not make them better. What Boogie signed for is ridiculous and shows the NBA has a major problem on its hands. It is hard to make fans sit through a 82 game schedule and 4 playoff rounds when you already know who will be the last 4 teams standing.
    As for Elfrid, this is now his make or break year. If he can consistently link up with Davis and improve his defense he can reestablish himself as a starting NBA point guard. If not, he will become a journeyman.


  19. #39
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,299

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yep, slap in the face of Davis after he wore his jersey in the all-star game!
    AD lobbied for Randle to join Pels. I wonder if that was AD's preference. Randle is a better fit for the faster pace they were successful at late in the year and playoffs. Boogie got upset that they did not offer him max so he left. He first said they did not make him an offer. He amended that to see they did not make a serious offer. I presume anything but the max was not a serious offer in his eyes.

  20. #40
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,299

    Default Re: Elfrid Payton Heading to New Orleans

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Mike, I'm not certain how many analysts have spoken on Elfrid's defense, but he had problems with screens because of his lack of strength coming into the league. He has gotten stronger, but he is no match for quick guards off the dribble, I've seen enough of his games.
    He has one of the elite defenders in the league with him in the backcourt now in Jrue Holiday. He will also have two pretty good defenders down low to help him out in Randle and Davis. Randle was the one guy on last year's Lakers team who played defense well. Elfrid will have lots of pressure on him to perform as the other four starters return and they added Randle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •