_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

Thread: Well Look Who Got Offered!

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    Yet in your original post, you refer to an "STM entitled douche".
    No sir I did not. I was making reference to a comment that cajun Lannister made about a kid from CHNI, that the cajuns offered. He said "we should never offer a kid from CHNI because they are all entitled douches". Later in trying to get clarification he said he made the statement because "he new some guys from CHNI in the 90s that were entitled douches". So I have been trying clarify if it is just CHNI or all catholic school kids. I have never refered to anyone as an entitled douche.
    Last edited by FacelessBuffoon; June 25th, 2018 at 08:14 am. Reason: Full disclosure I was an entitled douche in the 80s. According to Lannister

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,705

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by KACajun View Post
    Weren't Cole Kelley & Thomas Perry products of stm feeder schools?
    Their parents simply wanted them going to Teurlings or they wanted to go. Kelley had an issue at STM and Perry felt more comfortable. Their parents had the means to send them there. I don't think that's the same as having kids recruited to the school.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,839

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    I don't see any issue with private schools asking kids to come to their school. As long as the parents are paying tuition or the kid is in a work program that goes toward their tuition.

    Private schools HAVE to ask kids to come to their school. If not, they'd have no students and cease to exist.

    If certain kids (good athletes) are going to a private school free...that's an issue.

    And yes, I know that it happens.


  4. #44
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,450

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Well I am Catholic and was fortunate to have gone through the system.....Naturally I am predudiced to their programs......I try to get all the kids I meet to go to Catholic schools....I think there is nothing wrong with folks trying to get kids to go to other private schools or public schools if that is their belief....just a little note on my former high school in that there are about 150 kids that go to school for free or reduced costs....all must pass an academic test and have a good 40 yard dash and vertical jump——-kidding!!! BUT THERE ARE ALUMNS THAT PAY THEIR SCHOOL TAXES AND PAY FOR KIDS's EDUCATION AND DONT HAVE KIDS attending!


  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    Javon Walker attended Youngsville Middle School. Kevin Foote had this discussion on his radio show a few years ago. The Comeaux coaches cried foul when he turned up at STM.
    No Javon went to Fatima.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,705

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I don't see any issue with private schools asking kids to come to their school. As long as the parents are paying tuition or the kid is in a work program that goes toward their tuition.

    Private schools HAVE to ask kids to come to their school. If not, they'd have no students and cease to exist.

    If certain kids (good athletes) are going to a private school free...that's an issue.

    And yes, I know that it happens.
    I'm not sure that people here have a "problem" with it but rather, they are just acknowledging that there are forms of "recruiting" going on and have gone on for years. The problem is when people try to claim that it doesn't occur. STM has certainly been a factor there over the years but they also have a great feeder system and devoted alumni base. LCA has been a recent recipient of it over the last decade or so and seems to be a bigger player moving forward. Teurlings has been less involved but I'm sure they have gotten some kids they would not normally get as well.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,178

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Now that the LHSAA has screwed up athletics in Louisiana, in a few years the high school system in Louisiana will resemble the NCAA. If an athlete is elite and wants to play at a P5 school, they will need to attend a private school. Others will go the G5 route and play in the public school system.


  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm not sure that people here have a "problem" with it but rather, they are just acknowledging that there are forms of "recruiting" going on and have gone on for years. The problem is when people try to claim that it doesn't occur. STM has certainly been a factor there over the years but they also have a great feeder system and devoted alumni base. LCA has been a recent recipient of it over the last decade or so and seems to be a bigger player moving forward. Teurlings has been less involved but I'm sure they have gotten some kids they would not normally get as well.
    LCA's principal has publicly said they want to be the Evangile of South La.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,098
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    Bureaux Bridge yes. St Martinville no longer has a catholic elementary school, usually splits between CHNI and TC. Don't know of many kids from opelousas that goes to TC. Sunset and grand Coteau yes. Not sure where Sts Peter and paul is technically a feeder for I'd guess both get some.

    TC is starting to get more and more kids every year from St Cecilia and Pius both STM feeders. Most don't play any sports. That's not the same as a gifted athelete with no catholic school ties and his family just ups and moves from carencro to stm district.
    Never met anyone from Opelousas that played football at Teurlings either, they have Opelousas Catholic. St Peter and Paul is not a feeder for Teurlings, they didn't have a football program to my knowledge.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Oh boy, wow.

    Say, I know this is a private school/recruiting/entitled douche thread, but do any of you experts know anything about this kid from STM, Caleb Holstein, who has apparently committed to UL?


  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,098
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Oh boy, wow.

    Say, I know this is a private school/recruiting/entitled douche thread, but do any of you experts know anything about this kid from STM, Caleb Holstein, who has apparently committed to UL?
    He's not committed to UL.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Never met anyone from Opelousas that played football at Teurlings either, they have Opelousas Catholic. St Peter and Paul is not a feeder for Teurlings, they didn't have a football program to my knowledge.
    Feeder church parishes of Teurlings Catholic from their admissions policy:
    St. Bernard (Breaux Bridge)
    St. Gevevieve
    St. Leo
    Sts. Peter and Paul
    St. Peter (Carencro)
    Our Lady of the Assumption (Carencro)
    St. Elizabeth Seton (no school)
    St. Patrick (no school)

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,098
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    Feeder church parishes of Teurlings Catholic from their admissions policy:
    St. Bernard (Breaux Bridge)
    St. Gevevieve
    St. Leo
    Sts. Peter and Paul
    St. Peter (Carencro)
    Our Lady of the Assumption (Carencro)
    St. Elizabeth Seton (no school)
    St. Patrick (no school)
    Sure, and as I stated St Genevieve, St Bernard, St Leo and Saint Peter (I called them Carencro Catholic) are the main feeders (With Football Programs). I don't recall any of the others having football programs unless they were started in recent years. They do send a number of good soccer athletes to Teurlings.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    Feeder church parishes of Teurlings Catholic from their admissions policy:
    St. Bernard (Breaux Bridge)
    St. Gevevieve
    St. Leo
    Sts. Peter and Paul
    St. Peter (Carencro)
    Our Lady of the Assumption (Carencro)
    St. Elizabeth Seton (no school)
    St. Patrick (no school)
    St. Elizabeth Seton does have a school its called Sts Leo Seton.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Oh boy, wow.

    Say, I know this is a private school/recruiting/entitled douche thread, but do any of you experts know anything about this kid from STM, Caleb Holstein, who has apparently committed to UL?
    I don't think UL is very high on his list.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Now that the LHSAA has screwed up athletics in Louisiana, in a few years the high school system in Louisiana will resemble the NCAA. If an athlete is elite and wants to play at a P5 school, they will need to attend a private school. Others will go the G5 route and play in the public school system.
    This is probably pretty accurate.

  17. #57
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,348

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    I thought when the LHSAA split the private/public schools that it was just a matter of time before the private schools formed their own association and recruited at will.


  18. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Sure, and as I stated St Genevieve, St Bernard, St Leo and Saint Peter (I called them Carencro Catholic) are the main feeders (With Football Programs). I don't recall any of the others having football programs unless they were started in recent years. They do send a number of good soccer athletes to Teurlings.
    As a parent of three kids, 2 currently in a feeder school to TC, I can say this, if TC doesn't start finding kids to bring in for athletics soon, they will be in a world of hurt in a few years. Genevieve and Leo Seton have historically been there top feeders for football. LS may not have a football team this year because of a lack of boys. Carencro catholic very down also.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Well Look Who Got Offered!

    It just thought of this thread when my son a jr to be at TC, just asked to go to his friends house in chruch point. Tomorrow it might be Cecilia, the next day sunset, then pon breaux and then youngsville. The Tc kids he hangs with come from all over the area, pay tuition and most are average high school athelets at best. However the one from church point that he's going to tonight is a UL baseball commit.


  20. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    Since you keep up with recruiting, that very well may be true. I am just familiar with some controversy about him turning up at STM after being in public school most of his life. As I mentioned, from the discussion I heard on "footnotes" a few years ago, I thought he was at YMS before STM, but I may have misunderstood.
    Javon went to Fatima, a feeder of STM. We both stayed in after school care at Fatima because our parents worked late. I can remember as far back as 5th grade he was there and he was 2 years behind me. My memory may be slightly off as far as grade, but I seriously doubt STM recruited him to Fatima at that early age to be at a feeder. Maybe his mother simply wanted her kid to get a better education and worked hard to facilitate that She probably utilized the grant program for lower income households at both schools. As did my parents

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •