_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup!

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    oh, thought mothership was only showing cws, beanbag throw and mls. denying world cup happening since it is on fox until after 2026
    See how much I watch the mothership...lol. It's only the biggest global sporting event and they have cranial rectalitis.

Default Re: Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Spain dodges bullet, ties Morraco in stoppage time, wins group. Should be the mothership's top play of the day. Blind shot.
    My understanding is that the mothership does not have rights to show any highlights or parts of the World Cup. Mike Greenberg was discussing the WC the other day and was talking about a game and said he wanted to show a few key moments in the game but couldn't due to copyright issues.

Default Re: 2018 World Cup!

South Korea gets Mexico through with a stoppage time goal after El Tri chokes against Sweeden. Wow, Germany is done.

wcd35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    South Korea gets Mexico through with a stoppage time goal after El Tri chokes against Sweeden. Wow, Germany is done.
    Feels similar to when the USA kept Mexico alive when Zusi scored a meaningless goal against Panama in 2014 qualifying

I'm pulling for the light gray. I opted to watch paint dry instead of watching soccer.

Germany looked like poop today. Other than a few moments, they looked more like our team. Lost and clueless.

Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!

Who is everyone else rooting for in the world's greatest sporting event?
    NOT MEXICO

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I'm pulling for the light gray. I opted to watch paint dry instead of watching soccer.
    No problem. There are plenty of 4 hour snooze fests (baseball) on at nights so you won't have to worry about not having anything to watch.

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I'm with you on this. But if they got rid of the offside crap and open the game up you might have something. How would MLF or for that matter any football game would be if your receiver can't pass the defense backfield until the ball is thrown pass the defensive player.......That's the rule in feet-ball, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    I'm with you on this. But if they got rid of the offside crap and open the game up you might have something. How would MLF or for that matter any football game would be if your receiver can't pass the defense backfield until the ball is thrown pass the defensive player.......That's the rule in feet-ball, isn't it?
    Per FIFA rulebook. "A player is in an offside position if they are in the opposing team's half of the field and also "nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." ... Any part of the player's head, body or feet is closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." It is actually a little more complex than that but.......

There has been talk about changing the rule so that offsides is called similar to icing in hockey and only applies to the last third of the field of play. With that said I don't think it gains much momentum.

I know it is hard to comprehend, for those not familiar with the game, but it is a vital part of the game and without the rule play would be completely different and would actually end up in what I would call a game of "luck" rather than skill. Teams would no longer depend on talent to progress down the field of play but would instead put a bunch of bodies in the box (goal area) and just fire the ball in and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post

I know it is hard to comprehend, for those not familiar with the game, but it is a vital part of the game and without the rule play would be completely different and would actually end up in what I would call a game of "luck" rather than skill. Teams would no longer depend on talent to progress down the field of play but would instead put a bunch of bodies in the box (goal area) and just fire the ball in and see what happens.
    ^^^Perfect explanation

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Per FIFA rulebook. "A player is in an offside position if they are in the opposing team's half of the field and also "nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." ... Any part of the player's head, body or feet is closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." It is actually a little more complex than that but.......

There has been talk about changing the rule so that offsides is called similar to icing in hockey and only applies to the last third of the field of play. With that said I don't think it gains much momentum.

The first part of your post is what I understand. Don't past the last defender until the ball has past him. The defender that is. Like a receiver going for a past but can't pass the defender before the ball goes over their head.....in feet-ball you have a lot of 1-nil games.

The first part of your post is what I understand. Don't past the last defender until the ball has past him. The defender that is. Like a receiver going for a past but can't pass the defender before the ball goes over their head.....in feet-ball you have a lot of 1-nil games.
    Have you ever played a pick up game of basketball when one of the opposing team players never comes back to play defense? Rather they just hang out near their own goal waiting for a long pass to make an easy layup. This form of cherry picking would make the game completely unbearable to watch.

Fixed it for you.

Don't pass the 2nd to last defender until the ball has been played to you......assuming you are on your attacking half of the field

interesting, i didnt realize the second to last defender. guess i thought of it as defenders (non goalie)...

so if for some reason the keeper is way up and one other defender back, you could be farther from goal than that defender but still offsides, since it would have to be two?

Great post. And to take it a step further, the offside law of futbol is very difficult to call sometimes. All eyes are on the ball, and the AR has to makes a snap judgement whether at the time the ball leaves the passer's foot where the receiver was at that moment in relationship to the defenders, not the half second or so later when the ball is received. Feel free to try it, there's plenty of need for soccer officials. And plenty of "experts" will help tell you when you're wrong, even though you're probably right.

One of the hardest calls to make in sports.

I think every soccer parent should be required to watch the online videos for refs that FIFA puts out....

Might just make the sidelines somewhat bearable.

Flopping explained

and because in american football you cant move forward until ball is snapped.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast