_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103

Thread: Football Expectations

  1. #1
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Football Expectations

    Since a basketball expectations thread is active, I thought I would start a similar one for football. Seems to make sense as that sport is the next one upon us. As far as 2018 is concerned, I hope to see fundamentals improved and a scheme designed around talent. I will leave it to folks who know more than I such as Cajun T and Basin Bear to to tell me if that is occurring. I know one stat that will show progress and that is improvement in third down defense. Seems like the D only got off the field after scores when facing stronger opponents last season. Long term, I hope to win a conference title within 3 years and defeat a P5 opponent within 4 years. Looking forward to reading what the rest of you think about This.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,066

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    The biggest improvement that I want to see this year is an improvement in fundamentals. Over the past few years, we have seen a drop in the quality of recruiting due to the size and physique of the players we recruited other than their actual skills. Coach Napier and his staff put a ton of emphasis on fundamentals this past Spring, so I expect us to be more competitive in that realm.

    Offensively, we have some talent returning on the line and on the skill positions. If we can land a quarterback without going through the regular carrousel, we should be fine there as well. Defensively, we will struggle a bit in the secondary, but I do expect some talent in the interior D-line as well as the LB positions.

    Overall, we should be improved. I'm not asking to go 10-2 in Coach Napier's first season, but I do want to be competitive in every game that we play. If we can make a bowl game, it will be a huge improvement from last season. Follow that up with a conference championship a year or two after that with a P5 win in the mix. From there, once Napier starts to bring in some quality recruiting classes, a top 25 ranking within the next 5 years might not be as difficult as one may seem. If there is anyone who can get us there, it's Billy Napier.


  3. #3
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    The biggest improvement that I want to see this year is an improvement in fundamentals. Over the past few years, we have seen a drop in the quality of recruiting due to the size and physique of the players we recruited other than their actual skills. Coach Napier and his staff put a ton of emphasis on fundamentals this past Spring, so I expect us to be more competitive in that realm.

    Offensively, we have some talent returning on the line and on the skill positions. If we can land a quarterback without going through the regular carrousel, we should be fine there as well. Defensively, we will struggle a bit in the secondary, but I do expect some talent in the interior D-line as well as the LB positions.

    Overall, we should be improved. I'm not asking to go 10-2 in Coach Napier's first season, but I do want to be competitive in every game that we play. If we can make a bowl game, it will be a huge improvement from last season. Follow that up with a conference championship a year or two after that with a P5 win in the mix. From there, once Napier starts to bring in some quality recruiting classes, a top 25 ranking within the next 5 years might not be as difficult as one may seem. If there is anyone who can get us there, it's Billy Napier.
    You have a lot of confidence in Coach Napier. I will reserve judgment until a few games have been played. He does seem to have a quiet confidence about him. I have heard people around the program believe he has the best football mind of any coach they have ever been around. That is encouraging.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,066

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    You have a lot of confidence in Coach Napier. I will reserve judgment until a few games have been played. He does seem to have a quiet confidence about him. I have heard people around the program believe he has the best football mind of any coach they have ever been around. That is encouraging.
    Based on his resume, I must say that I'm confident that he will get the job done. I don't expect him to solve the Mayan calendar this season, but I expect a vast improvement over the next few years. The administration has shown enough confidence in him as well with the money pool that they gave him to hire a competent staff. I look forward to seeing what they can do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,773

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Touchbacks, 3rd down stops, 2nd and 4.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Touchbacks, 3rd down stops, 2nd and 4.
    No WR bubble screens on 3rd and long

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    I expect modest improvement in year 1, starting with better fundamentals. If we get some breaks, we might see a bit more dramatic increase in W's. But l won't be disappointed if our W-L record isn't significantly better. I am very optimistic about Coach Napier & his staff. It remains to be seen what they accomplish in the next few years, but l WILL be disappointed if major improvements aren't seen in years 2 & 3.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,984

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    This year: 6-6, a recruiting class that stacks up against Tech and Tulane and a defense that is not FBS bottom 20.
    Next few years: a return to nine win seasons, a SBC title and a P5 win.


  9. #9
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    This year: 6-6, a recruiting class that stacks up against Tech and Tulane and a defense that is not FBS bottom 20.
    Next few years: a return to nine win seasons, a SBC title and a P5 win.
    Agree on goal for defense. Still think (just about know) it is impossible to tell how our recruiting class will rank vs Tulane and Tech by what the services say. Look how many players we brought in following signing day this year. I agree it is imperative to do a better job than those two in that regard but we won't know if we did in early February.

  10. #10
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,706

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    I expect sound fundamentals, good technique and crisp execution on both sides of the ball. I expect an offensive game plan based on what the opponent gives us and what our athletes can do, rather than on what the coach wants to do. I expect us to be sound defensively, and be in position to make plays.

    If my expectations are met, I firmly believe we will be bowling, as I believe we have enough offensive talent to score at a fairly high rate in conference games, and I think our defense can make enough plays to keep us in games.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    I agree Coach Napier resume looks good and looks like we have an excellent staff.

    QB situation is not ideal but when you take over a team I guess nothing is ideal.

    One of the things that impressed me the most when he was asked the question "are you gonna be calling the plays"

    His response was point on "of course I am going to call the plays that is who I am and that is my background."


    Boom let's geaux Cajuns!!!


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,293

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    8 wins... don't @ me


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,434

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Fundamental football, tackling, blocking, doing your job.

    Improved game planning and adjustments that make a difference.

    I expect to see a better coached football team. Not going to predict wins/losses, just need to see a team that looks and plays like they know what they're doing.


  14. #14
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,556

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    I think our floor is 6-6 and our ceiling is 7-5. The bottom line is, until we improve on defense we won't compete with the better teams on our schedule.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,355

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    8 wins... don't @ me
    I hope you are right. If we had a QB,that fits what Napier wants to do, I'd be with you. I just see that position struggling all year long. I think we are talented enough everywhere else.

    My off the field prediction from what I see in recruiting, and offers being made is he will soon have a better mix of kids, better cohesion, and team chemistry in the locker room, which is huge and often underestimated in a teams success.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    908

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Fundamental football, tackling, blocking, doing your job.

    Improved game planning and adjustments that make a difference.

    I expect to see a better coached football team. Not going to predict wins/losses, just need to see a team that looks and plays like they know what they're doing.
    This. I won't predict W's and L's. I was tired of seeing and hearing of making a 1st down only to be brought back by an offensive penalty. Beyond this year, improved recruits which should result in more W's and wins over P5. The rest should take care of itself. Oh yeah, stop losing to LT.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Got a gut feeling that the guys take down Miss st. No motivation needed..


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Agree on goal for defense. Still think (just about know) it is impossible to tell how our recruiting class will rank vs Tulane and Tech by what the services say. Look how many players we brought in following signing day this year. I agree it is imperative to do a better job than those two in that regard but we won't know if we did in early February.
    I'm really talking about the head to head recruiting battles with those two schools. We come out on the bottom way to often. Those losses have created the talent deficiencies we are currently dealing with. Case in point the kid from Catholic NI. If we want him and Tech wants him, at some point we have to beat them in a head to head recruiting battle. It's the only way you going to pull ourselves up from the 4th or 5th best rteam in the state of LA.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    No WR bubble screens on 3rd and long
    This right here...I would always shake my head in disbelief when the opposing offense would line up three WRs on one side of the field and we would have just two defenders. How could you not see they are throwing the screen pass!!!!!!!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,385

    Default Re: Football Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I think our floor is 6-6 and our ceiling is 7-5. The bottom line is, until we improve on defense we won't compete with the better teams on our schedule.
    Defense will be good up front DB's will be our Achilles heel on paper . We have to get pressure from our big men to have a chance this year

    Hopefully we see a lot of 4-2-5

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •