_ _ _ _
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 277

Thread: Basketball Expectations

  1. #141
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    I have no expectations in Basketball anymore. Gave up my tickets and I'm now all in for football. That's the only thing that matters anyway.
    Unfortunately football is too much of a focus due to media coverage. Critical we improve there. Basketball Getting to NCAA tournament can help us with some media coverage.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,371

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am less concerned with his recruiting than with his in game coaching. Our half court offense is putrid. We have poor ball movement and virtually no movement away from the ball, and our spacing is worse than horrible. To his credit, we have generally been pretty good defensively.
    I would agree with the exception of this past year. Our ball movement was excellent and while I'm not comparing us to them, our offense was very similar to that of Golden State Warriors. We had early ball movement with cross cuts and lateral cuts by our guards and lots of off ball screens set to free up playmakers. I thought we actually ran good sets this year. In years prior? Yeah, I would definitely share in your frustration. The only time the ball stopped moving this year is when it got in Miller's hands.

  3. #143
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,466

    UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

    You're right, I totally undervalued the three P5 players. Stroman, Gant, and Marquetti. Give me the replacements for Washington, Stove, and Barkley. I'm expecting some marginal improvement from Davis, and Miller. Maybe vast improvement from Russell. That's not replacing those three. The rest are unproven Div I players and slightly used subscription players.

    Regardless we're in a totally different situation.

    Under Marlin coaching we lost to the last place team destroying a perfect conference season losing only Stove, arguably one of the best players in SBC. but just one of9 deeply talented group.


  4. #144
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,534

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    I have no expectations one way or the other. I have no clue what to expect. I see reasons to be optimistic and I see reasons to be pessimistic.

    But I'm going to need someone to explain to me how and why I should expect next year's team to win a regular season or tournament title. I need to be explained how or why we will compete with the top 100 RPI schools on our schedule. Use current roster, SOS, travel, coaching, strength of league, etc etc etc in your explanation please...


  5. #145
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,466

    UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Unfortunately football is too much of a focus due to media coverage. Critical we improve there. Basketball Getting to NCAA tournament can help us with some media coverage.
    Funny, and you a devoted basketball fan, how quickly we forget Witchata State getting to AAC based exclusively on a five year run in basketball.

  6. #146
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Funny, and you a devoted basketball fan, how quickly we forget Witchata State getting to AAC based exclusively on a five year run in basketball.
    A run in basketball like Wichita State hAd would help our conference situation.

  7. #147
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I have no expectations one way or the other. I have no clue what to expect. I see reasons to be optimistic and I see reasons to be pessimistic.

    But I'm going to need someone to explain to me how and why I should expect next year's team to win a regular season or tournament title. I need to be explained how or why we will compete with the top 100 RPI schools on our schedule. Use current roster, SOS, travel, coaching, strength of league, etc etc etc in your explanation please...
    Not saying it will happen and it probably won't based on what we lost. The way for us to have a similar season is for the returning guys to make 100 percent of the improvement they are capable of. That is especially true for Russell and Davis as they were highly regarded coming out of HS. I have heard Davis is the most improved guy in the early summer work. We will also some of the freshman to contribute immediately. Unlikely all that happens so it is reasonable to not expect another championship season. I do think we are capable of finishing in Top 3.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Bridge
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Who are we planning to replace with McCoy leaving?


  9. #149
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Who are we planning to replace with McCoy leaving?
    A highly regarded potential transfer from out west visited 2 weekends ago. Would not play this year. It is also possible a graduate transfer who can play this year is brought in.

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Not saying it will happen and it probably won't based on what we lost. The way for us to have a similar season is for the returning guys to make 100 percent of the improvement they are capable of. That is especially true for Russell and Davis as they were highly regarded coming out of HS. I have heard Davis is the most improved guy in the early summer work. We will also some of the freshman to contribute immediately. Unlikely all that happens so it is reasonable to not expect another championship season. I do think we are capable of finishing in Top 3.
    well, i am expecting Georgia State to be the clear Favorite, and i think we are the clear #2. now the fan in me wants to believe between these 2 schools we both can win some game against p5 and high rpi's and run through the conference, then both go dancing. p.s. its a long way till the season, let me dream a little. lol

  11. #151
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,755

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I would agree with the exception of this past year. Our ball movement was excellent and while I'm not comparing us to them, our offense was very similar to that of Golden State Warriors. We had early ball movement with cross cuts and lateral cuts by our guards and lots of off ball screens set to free up playmakers. I thought we actually ran good sets this year. In years prior? Yeah, I would definitely share in your frustration. The only time the ball stopped moving this year is when it got in Miller's hands.
    Our spacing was still awful. We tended to bunch up in the lane which allowed our opponents back side help to be much more effective than it could have been with wider spacing. When we got the ball to Washinton in the high block, we immediately drug two defenders into the lane, which imo greatly reduced his effectiveness from that position.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,534

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    So other than Mike, no one willing to explain why expectations should be high?


  13. #153
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    So other than Mike, no one willing to explain why expectations should be high?
    So much lost to graduation and eligibility limits leading to many unknowns makes high expectations hard for me.

    However, on the plus side, almost every one of Marlin's players improve under his tutelage. So I expect that to continue.

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,371

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Our spacing was still awful. We tended to bunch up in the lane which allowed our opponents back side help to be much more effective than it could have been with wider spacing. When we got the ball to Washinton in the high block, we immediately drug two defenders into the lane, which imo greatly reduced his effectiveness from that position.
    Disagree. When we were playing well, Stroman was able to get into the lane anytime he wanted and kick out to open shooters or dish to Gant and Washington. You can't have Bartley and Marquetti and even Stroman making the cuts they made and getting almost open midrange shots and layups with poor spacing. I'm sure you could point to a spot here or there where you are correct but I think the bulk of the time we had much better spacing than in the past.

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,371

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    So other than Mike, no one willing to explain why expectations should be high?
    Expectations should be high at least to a degree. We still have the best PG in the conference coming back. If Stroman can work a perimeter shot into his arsenal this year, he could have a great year. Marquetti needs to be more consistent and will have to be a playmaker for us all the time and Gant will need to be that rim protector this year. Biggest question is how do you replace Bartley. If Russell can step his game up this year, we may be a very similar team to last year. We will also need new guys to step up and lead. Not sure we really have that at this point. I expect us to be fun to watch again but don't know if we have the depth and talent at guard as well as leadership to replicate last year.

  16. #156
    RcL8 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,220

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    I think a lot of people are forgetting about Jerekius Davis. I expect him and Cedric Russell to be monsters next year. Our spacing was good last year and were ranked very high in assists to baskets scored. I don't know what happened to Marquetti at the end of the year but if he can get back to his mid season form we won't see that big of a step back. Ga. St will be the team to beat but the conference as a whole was pretty damn terrible last year. If we don't finish top 2 I will be very surprised.


  17. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Expectations should be high at least to a degree. We still have the best PG in the conference coming back. If Stroman can work a perimeter shot into his arsenal this year, he could have a great year. Marquetti needs to be more consistent and will have to be a playmaker for us all the time and Gant will need to be that rim protector this year. Biggest question is how do you replace Bartley. If Russell can step his game up this year, we may be a very similar team to last year. We will also need new guys to step up and lead. Not sure we really have that at this point. I expect us to be fun to watch again but don't know if we have the depth and talent at guard as well as leadership to replicate last year.
    I think Jeremey Hayes is going to have to make up for a big chunk of what Bartley did. If he can just give us 60% of Bartley's production and then let Marquetti, Russell, Davis etc step up for the rest that would be great. I really want to see if Russell can develop other parts of his game. I remember him hitting a couple of runners in the lane during the NIT game which was a good sign. He needs to be able penetrate and draw some contact as well, last year he only shot 8 FTs all season. I hate to say but last year Russell was basically Hayward Register 2.0, albeit with a better shooting %. I listened to that hour that Marlin recently spent on the radio with Jay last night and found it interesting that he mentioned a possible Redshirt for either Gladney or Lafayette, which makes me think there is still a possibility of getting another big man who can contribute next year with the scholarship that recently opened up.

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    I think a lot of people are forgetting about Jerekius Davis. I expect him and Cedric Russell to be monsters next year. Our spacing was good last year and were ranked very high in assists to baskets scored. I don't know what happened to Marquetti at the end of the year but if he can get back to his mid season form we won't see that big of a step back. Ga. St will be the team to beat but the conference as a whole was pretty damn terrible last year. If we don't finish top 2 I will be very surprised.
    Davis has a nagging back injury that will limit him, likely the rest of his basketball playing days. I expect him to contribute, but I doubt he's ever a consistently reliable option.

  19. #159
    RcL8 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Davis has a nagging back injury that will limit him, likely the rest of his basketball playing days. I expect him to contribute, but I doubt he's ever a consistently reliable option.
    So both him and miller?

  20. #160
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,466

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Expectations should be high at least to a degree. We still have the best PG in the conference coming back. If Stroman can work a perimeter shot into his arsenal this year, he could have a great year. Marquetti needs to be more consistent and will have to be a playmaker for us all the time and Gant will need to be that rim protector this year. Biggest question is how do you replace Bartley. If Russell can step his game up this year, we may be a very similar team to last year. We will also need new guys to step up and lead. Not sure we really have that at this point. I expect us to be fun to watch again but don't know if we have the depth and talent at guard as well as leadership to replicate last year.
    I'm gonna take exception with your evaluation. Stove is the straw that stirred this offense and his defense was exceptional.

    You simply can't look at his production and say yeah that's it. He was an instant game changer.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •