_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 277

Thread: Basketball Expectations

  1. #21
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,739

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    The Stove injury derailed last season without a doubt. Showed we did not have the depth we thought we did. Mark Adams has proven the difficulty of scheduling for mid majors. Hopefully his input will help as we go on. Despite the questions some have, the AD thinks enough of the direction of the program to grant an extension. That will not change despite all the concerns raised here and I am not saying they are not legitimate. I am saying there are not nearly as many people who have an issue with this as there are those who support the move. That makes his opinion the only one that really counts. Back to original question, what are expectations going forward?


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Dudes, it's pretty simple. That was Marlin's best team last year and one of the better Cajuns teams. The problem is he has not pulled out a legitimate upset of a "named" team. So, both the casual and common fan look at his teams as good "for this level of play". There is zero glam...nothing to get the fringe fans out to the dome. This is not basketball country.


  3. #23
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,739

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by stpacronym View Post
    Dudes, it's pretty simple. That was Marlin's best team last year and one of the better Cajuns teams. The problem is he has not pulled out a legitimate upset of a "named" team. So, both the casual and common fan look at his teams as good "for this level of play". There is zero glam...nothing to get the fringe fans out to the dome. This is not basketball country.
    Agree something more is needed to get fringe fans to Dome. Agree not basketball country as well. However we do better in the area than most. We lead our league by far in support, would be in the top half of CUSA, and get more followers than many in the AAC. Still I recognize to get back to the old days, something more is needed. If not an upset, getting to the NCAA tournament and getting a win for two consecutive years may do the trick. Are those reasonable expectations? I don't have an answer. I know they are worthy goals.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Agree something more is needed to get fringe fans to Dome. Agree not basketball country as well. However we do better in the area than most. We lead our league by far in support, would be in the top half of CUSA, and get more followers than many in the AAC. Still I recognize to get back to the old days, something more is needed. If not an upset, getting to the NCAA tournament and getting a win for two consecutive years may do the trick. Are those reasonable expectations? I don't have an answer. I know they are worthy goals.
    We are going to have to beat some quality teams along with making a tournament appearance or two to get more fans on board. Like I mentioned earlier, give me a 18-20 win season with a win over a P5 and a tournament appearance; and I will be happy.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    We are going to have to beat some quality teams along with making a tournament appearance or two to get more fans on board. Like I mentioned earlier, give me a 18-20 win season with a win over a P5 and a tournament appearance; and I will be happy.
    We need some quality wins to demontrate that this team/program is for real...a national player. Otherwise, it will be 3-4k in the dome on a good night. That is not a terrible situatuation, but people keep looking back to the days of yore, and that won't come without the above.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,683

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Take it for what its worth Bobby Marlin is the Ricky Bustle of Basketball..Average coach that runs a clean program & graduates players but his teams tend to lack a killer mentality


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I think it is reasonable to win the conference once every three years, get in the NCAA tournament once every three years and win 1-2 NCAA games during an 8 year span. This would place you as a top tier mid-major.
    That would make us Georgia State, not top
    Tier mid major..but I'd be happy with starting there

  8. #28
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Take it for what its worth Bobby Marlin is the Ricky Bustle of Basketball..Average coach that runs a clean program & graduates players but his teams tend to lack a killer mentality
    I can see the comparison to Coach Bustle. However he had one winning season in nine while Basketball has had 5 straight winning years. That is the case even with only D1 games are included. Granted the situation Coach Bustle took over in 2002 was very difficult.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    593

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    I would like for every Senior that spent 4 years in the program to have made at least 1 trip to the big dance. Washington and Stove not getting that chance made the way this past season ended pretty hard to swallow, despite how good of a season it was over all. I agree with finishing in the top 4 in conference even in a rebuilding year to show an overall consistency.


  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,683

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Speaking of expectations former conference member WKU just inked another 5 star player



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,788

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    We can accomplish all of our goals in the sunbelt.. even 5 star players ...


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,547

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post

    What are our expectations as a basketball program? Are we good with 27 wins, a regular season title with no tournament appearance? Or what about winning less during the regular season but winning those key 3 games in March to get us to the tournament? What about going under .500 during the regular season but still somehow winning the Sun Belt tournament and making the dance?

    Again, when we were discussing this at length during the season, why does this scenario have to be either/or? Why does it have to be winning regular season with a lot of wins and no NCAA birth or the other way around? I've been vocal about this for some time now. I want to create consistency in our program that will start attracting good young players, particularly from our own state. You build that by winning and you start by winning and dominating your conference.

    We had a great year this year. We won a ton of games and ran into some health issues late in the year that helped derail us. We ultimately fell short of our goal but we still automatically qualified for the NIT and put on an exciting game to say the least.

    If we go with the model of win a few but somehow qualify for the NCAA, its just going to be a quick shot in the arm but it does nothing to create a winning focus in the program. To me, there is nothing harder in college basketball than winning your conference outright. That is a great accomplishment. Its done over a large sample and you can't hide behind soft schedules or playing tough teams at home. Its home and home and you have to get things done on the road if you want to prove you are a champion.

    Build the program by building a winning culture and the tournament appearances will follow but success does not have to be either/or. If you focus on winning conference titles I promise that some NCAA appearances will follow and therefore, better seeds in the tournament when you do get there.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,547

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I can see the comparison to Coach Bustle. However he had one winning season in nine while Basketball has had 5 straight winning years. That is the case even with only D1 games are included. Granted the situation Coach Bustle took over in 2002 was very difficult.
    Mike, 12 games with only a handful of home games with a terrible recruiting budget etc. is not the same as playing 30+ games where you should be equally as talented as about 80% or more of the teams you face especially when quite a few of those games each season are against lower tier D-1 teams and D-2 teams. I liken Marlin to Bustle quite a bit. Neither wanted to really be in the public pushing their programs, I don't think either truly liked to get in the recruiting wars, neither has been able to win the "big" game and until this year, neither had one a conference title outright. There are a lot of similarities I believe.

  14. #34
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,787

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again, when we were discussing this at length during the season, why does this scenario have to be either/or? Why does it have to be winning regular season with a lot of wins and no NCAA birth or the other way around? I've been vocal about this for some time now. I want to create consistency in our program that will start attracting good young players, particularly from our own state. You build that by winning and you start by winning and dominating your conference.

    We had a great year this year. We won a ton of games and ran into some health issues late in the year that helped derail us. We ultimately fell short of our goal but we still automatically qualified for the NIT and put on an exciting game to say the least.

    If we go with the model of win a few but somehow qualify for the NCAA, its just going to be a quick shot in the arm but it does nothing to create a winning focus in the program. To me, there is nothing harder in college basketball than winning your conference outright. That is a great accomplishment. Its done over a large sample and you can't hide behind soft schedules or playing tough teams at home. Its home and home and you have to get things done on the road if you want to prove you are a champion.

    Build the program by building a winning culture and the tournament appearances will follow but success does not have to be either/or. If you focus on winning conference titles I promise that some NCAA appearances will follow and therefore, better seeds in the tournament when you do get there.
    I agree with this, with the caveat that we still need to play a significantly better OOC schedule, both for RPI purposes and to prepare us for the competition we will face in the NCAA or NIT when we get there.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,547

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    "That is due, in part, to finishing toward the top of the league in four of the last five seasons. It is also due, in part, to reaching the conference tournament semifinals in three of the last five years. It is also due, in part, to continued success in the classroom."

    While all that is true, I would say it has even more to do with the FUTURE he has built for this program. This wasn't a "one and done" season. We have high level recruits and redshirts coming in that will be able to step up and perform at the same high level for the next few years.

    Marlin deserves every penny of that new contract.
    High Level Recruits"?? I don't know about that. I guess it depends on your reference point for definition of high level. I think we did OK but we've already lost one of them and our best incoming player is going to be sidelined all year.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again, when we were discussing this at length during the season, why does this scenario have to be either/or? Why does it have to be winning regular season with a lot of wins and no NCAA birth or the other way around? I've been vocal about this for some time now. I want to create consistency in our program that will start attracting good young players, particularly from our own state. You build that by winning and you start by winning and dominating your conference.

    We had a great year this year. We won a ton of games and ran into some health issues late in the year that helped derail us. We ultimately fell short of our goal but we still automatically qualified for the NIT and put on an exciting game to say the least.

    If we go with the model of win a few but somehow qualify for the NCAA, its just going to be a quick shot in the arm but it does nothing to create a winning focus in the program. To me, there is nothing harder in college basketball than winning your conference outright. That is a great accomplishment. Its done over a large sample and you can't hide behind soft schedules or playing tough teams at home. Its home and home and you have to get things done on the road if you want to prove you are a champion.

    Build the program by building a winning culture and the tournament appearances will follow but success does not have to be either/or. If you focus on winning conference titles I promise that some NCAA appearances will follow and therefore, better seeds in the tournament when you do get there.
    Winning cures all. Couldn't agree more.

    With that being said, consistency is the key here. There's a few fans out there who I've spoken to who think that this past season was a one and done, and that we will be back to our usual 18-19 win records. We have to build on this past year and continue to win more games and put ourselves in a good position to compete for more conference titles. Also, beating a P5 or two would tremendously help.

    I know some people will say I'm comparing apples to oranges when I bring this up, but the only way we will bring a P5 to the Cajundome will be through consistent winning and name recognition. In the diamond sports, we tend to host past national champions and teams who make it to the CWS not just because of who we are, but also because we leverage ourselves to be competitive from a RPI and SOS standpoint. When those teams come to our house, we can still beat them; and they won't get affected as bad on their own RPI and SOS. Unfortunately for basketball, that is not the case. A #206 SOS isn't attractive to other teams. We have to start winning consistently before getting that respect that we want.

  17. #37
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,739

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Winning cures all. Couldn't agree more.

    With that being said, consistency is the key here. There's a few fans out there who I've spoken to who think that this past season was a one and done, and that we will be back to our usual 18-19 win records. We have to build on this past year and continue to win more games and put ourselves in a good position to compete for more conference titles. Also, beating a P5 or two would tremendously help.

    I know some people will say I'm comparing apples to oranges when I bring this up, but the only way we will bring a P5 to the Cajundome will be through consistent winning and name recognition. In the diamond sports, we tend to host past national champions and teams who make it to the CWS not just because of who we are, but also because we leverage ourselves to be competitive from a RPI and SOS standpoint. When those teams come to our house, we can still beat them; and they won't get affected as bad on their own RPI and SOS. Unfortunately for basketball, that is not the case. A #206 SOS isn't attractive to other teams. We have to start winning consistently before getting that respect that we want.
    Our SOS this past year was 156, not 206. There are about 350 D1 teams. Therefore 175 is the halfway point. There was a previous point made that Coach Marlin like Coach Bustle does not like the recruiting limelight. The limelight point is correct but Coach Marlin very much enjoys the recruiting process.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,683

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Our SOS this past year was 156, not 206. There are about 350 D1 teams. Therefore 175 is the halfway point. There was a previous point made that Coach Marlin like Coach Bustle does not like the recruiting limelight. The limelight point is correct but Coach Marlin very much enjoys the recruiting process.
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...l/rankings/sos


    SOS of 206

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,683

    Default Re: Basketball Expectations

    RECORD VS. TEAMS RANKED IN THE CBSSPORTS.COM RPI

    NO. 1-25 0-1

    NO. 26-50 0-0

    NO. 51-100 0-1

    NO. 101-200 11-3

    NO. 200+ 14-1


  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    "High Level Recruits"?? I don't know about that. I guess it depends on your reference point for definition of high level. I think we did OK but we've already lost one of them and our best incoming player is going to be sidelined all year.
    With all due respect, you must not have a clue about the level of talent we have sitting on our bench right now. We're set up to be a top 100 RPI team for the next few years.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •