_ _ _ _
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 177

Thread: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Improving conference situation is a Very challenging goal in today's environment. Dr. Maggard told me himself a few months ago he does not see further conference changes anytime soon. However you must do your best to be in the best possible position when the opportunity does occur. Another example of challenging goal is a season ticket target of 14000. That will be extremely difficult to achieve in this economy. I applaud the setting of a stretch goal and won't fault them if they fall a little short.
    I love the target. This year will be a challenge. After one year of Billy, a team we can be proud of, more and more great future news and an uptick in the economy... especially with the new marketing team & outreach success.. 14k will happen.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the VAST majority (not every single case) of G5's have cyclical success, if they have success at all.

    Few win titles in any sport every single year. Few make post season play every single year. As Robe said, there are schools that would LOVE to have won 35 and 34 games the last two seasons. But here that isn't the goal. The bar is where it is because Robe, his coaches and his players have set the bar high. And, none of us need to remind Robe we are not willing to lower the bar. And, that's because HE is not willing to lower the bar.

    But the cycle won't go away. It just doesn't happen that way. Some cycles last longer than others. But the cycle is there.

    I think Robe's unwillingness to lower the bar is what makes (at least for me) this "holding him accountable" thing kind of silly.

    You never have to hold a coach accountable when he has a higher standard. He does that himself, without help from the fan base.

    And, that's what makes Robe, Robe.
    I tend to give Coach Robe the benefit of the doubt when it comes to believing in his process. They guy is going to be in the Hall of Fame, he knows what needs to be done to correct the course of his program. Now that doesn't mean I do not have some concerns, specifically with his staff.

    Parents of college athletes are no different than they are in high school, they tend to chirp when their sons aren't getting the playing time they believe he should, or having the success he may have had before playing at UL. But when former players are pointing out things I tend to listen. My boss once told me, if you are perceived to have a problem, you have a problem.

    My other concern comes with the modern athlete, specifically the current generation and the difficulty that Coach Rob finds in getting them to understand his process. He has talked about this numerous times in his videos, to the media and at his Diamond Club luncheons. As coaches advance in their tenures, sometimes the process must be tweaked. Coach Sabin mentioned in recent years, you don't change your processes but you must realize when a tweak is needed. Can Coach Rob tweak his process if one is needed? I believe he will, but it still is a concern for me at this time.

    This year, I missed a number of home games because I just wasn't enjoying the team that was playing in front of me until late in the season. I'm not the type of person that tends to scream and yell at players and coaches. If I'm not enjoying my team's play, I lose my passion for attending the games and I'd much rather spend time at home with my family in comparison to coming home ____ed off. Several years of losing my passion, I begin to care about the amount of money I'm spending and not enjoying the product in front of me. I know a number of Cajun fans, like in other sports will be there come rain, or sunshine regardless of the Cajun's record. I don't view athletics as my family, or a charity. If I lose my passion for it, I'm more than likely to spend less money for my seats and parking. And there are a number of people I met this year that feel the same way now that the novelty of a new stadium has worn off.

    I think most of UL baseball fans understand the Coach Robe has had a history of turning his team's around after several poor seasons by his own standards. We also know that mid-majors are not always going to have seasons that end in a regional appearance. But once we've built a new stadium and supporters have stepped up in paying higher tickets prices, fees and parking, the expectations has also been raised. Coach Robe stated, the new stadium and increase in funding was needed to keep this program competitive and reach the next level. Will Coach Robe and his team live up to those expectations next season, my gut says yes but I don't feel confident enough to go to Vegas on it. And once again, holding coach accountable to the average fans means decreasing attendance, a decrease in season tickets sales, parking passes and other lines of revenue like the Diamond Club. While I don't see that happening next season, another down year and by any standard all bets will be off for the following year of 2020.

    Change is inevitable, whether or not it happens immediately or eventually.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Shoot for the stars land in the clouds ... If we shoot for the Big 12 and land in the AAC who would be upset about that.
    Maggard is shooting for the stars and will end up landing on he moon.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Improving conference situation is a Very challenging goal in today's environment. Dr. Maggard told me himself a few months ago he does not see further conference changes anytime soon. However you must do your best to be in the best possible position when the opportunity does occur. Another example of challenging goal is a season ticket target of 14000. That will be extremely difficult to achieve in this economy. I applaud the setting of a stretch goal and won't fault them if they fall a little short.
    While I completely agree with everything you just posted, let's just say that you would be totally surprised by some people who criticize Maggard and his staff for trying. It's mind boggling.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    New football coach with top 5 salary pool in g5
    New softball coach with huge bump in salary
    17 million baseball stadium
    Meeting to renovate/rebuild football stadium
    All in year 4 of oilfield being down...sounds like we are trying, of course nothing ever happens fast enough for the people who are watching and not actually doing anything.
    You're making assumptions again, and consider them to be factual. I know of a number of people that post on this forum that give at good levels for RCAF, Season Tickets, Tailgating and stay involved. Just because you believe something doesn't make it fact.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    778

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I tend to give Coach Robe the benefit of the doubt when it comes to believing in his process. They guy is going to be in the Hall of Fame, he knows what needs to be done to correct the course of his program. Now that doesn't mean I do not have some concerns, specifically with his staff.

    Parents of college athletes are no different than they are in high school, they tend to chirp when their sons aren't getting the playing time they believe he should, or having the success he may have had before playing at UL. But when former players are pointing out things I tend to listen. My boss once told me, if you are perceived to have a problem, you have a problem.

    My other concern comes with the modern athlete, specifically the current generation and the difficulty that Coach Rob finds in getting them to understand his process. He has talked about this numerous times in his videos, to the media and at his Diamond Club luncheons. As coaches advance in their tenures, sometimes the process must be tweaked. Coach Sabin mentioned in recent years, you don't change your processes but you must realize when a tweak is needed. Can Coach Rob tweak his process if one is needed? I believe he will, but it still is a concern for me at this time.

    This year, I missed a number of home games because I just wasn't enjoying the team that was playing in front of me until late in the season. I'm not the type of person that tends to scream and yell at players and coaches. If I'm not enjoying my team's play, I lose my passion for attending the games and I'd much rather spend time at home with my family in comparison to coming home ____ed off. Several years of losing my passion, I begin to care about the amount of money I'm spending and not enjoying the product in front of me. I know a number of Cajun fans, like in other sports will be there come rain, or sunshine regardless of the Cajun's record. I don't view athletics as my family, or a charity. If I lose my passion for it, I'm more than likely to spend less money for my seats and parking. And there are a number of people I met this year that feel the same way now that the novelty of a new stadium has worn off.

    I think most of UL baseball fans understand the Coach Robe has had a history of turning his team's around after several poor seasons by his own standards. We also know that mid-majors are not always going to have seasons that end in a regional appearance. But once we've built a new stadium and supporters have stepped up in paying higher tickets prices, fees and parking, the expectations has also been raised. Coach Robe stated, the new stadium and increase in funding was needed to keep this program competitive and reach the next level. Will Coach Robe and his team live up to those expectations next season, my gut says yes but I don't feel confident enough to go to Vegas on it. And once again, holding coach accountable to the average fans means decreasing attendance, a decrease in season tickets sales, parking passes and other lines of revenue like the Diamond Club. While I don't see that happening next season, another down year and by any standard all bets will be off for the following year of 2020.

    Change is inevitable, whether or not it happens immediately or eventually.
    There is NOTHING wrong with having concerns. This is a very good comment.

    I think my point here is Robe knows the bar is not being met. And, I have confidence he'll do what is necessary to fix it.

    I cannot guarantee his solution and yours or someone else's will be the same. But as long as it gets fixed, I don't really care.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,683

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Maggard is shooting for the stars and will end up landing on he moon.
    We have till 2023-2024* to get our stuff together, and if I were a betting man, I would bet Maggard has a 5-year plan.

    *Big 12 tv contract expiers June 30, 2025

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    There is NOTHING wrong with having concerns. This is a very good comment.

    I think my point here is Robe knows the bar is not being met. And, I have confidence he'll do what is necessary to fix it.

    I cannot guarantee his solution and yours or someone else's will be the same. But as long as it gets fixed, I don't really care.
    His solutions and mine don't need to be the same as long as the intended goals are met. The outcome is what matters in the long run.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    You're making assumptions again, and consider them to be factual. I know of a number of people that post on this forum that give at good levels for RCAF, Season Tickets, Tailgating and stay involved. Just because you believe something doesn't make it fact.
    You are making assumptions, even if the money is in the bank there is still things that actually have to be done. You know, like actual work. Projects/processes like this take time in the private sector..i could only imagine the bullsht red tape you have to deal with in this crooked az state to get things done. All this talk of "not trying" is bullsht. The administration and athletic department are "trying" more in 2 years than the previous 100. Sorry if you don't agree wth me, but your opinion isn't fact either.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    We have till 2023-2024* to get our stuff together, and if I were a betting man, I would bet Maggard has a 5-year plan.

    *Big 12 tv contract expiers June 30, 2025
    You are talking to the right people...

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    You are making assumptions, even if the money is in the bank there is still things that actually have to be done. You know, like actual work. Projects/processes like this take time in the private sector..i could only imagine the bullsht red tape you have to deal with in this crooked az state to get things done. All this talk of "not trying" is bullsht. The administration and athletic department are "trying" more in 2 years than the previous 100. Sorry if you don't agree wth me, but your opinion isn't fact either.
    I'm addressing this sentence in your previous post, "of course nothing ever happens fast enough for the people who are watching and not actually doing anything." What are you suggesting?

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I'm addressing this sentence in your previous post, "of course nothing ever happens fast enough for the people who are watching and not actually doing anything." What are you suggesting?
    That just because we cut checks..that doesn't mean there isn't actual work to be done by people. Unless you work for the athletic department you aren't doing anything (actual work)

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    You are making assumptions, even if the money is in the bank there is still things that actually have to be done. You know, like actual work. Projects/processes like this take time in the private sector..i could only imagine the bullsht red tape you have to deal with in this crooked az state to get things done. All this talk of "not trying" is bullsht. The administration and athletic department are "trying" more in 2 years than the previous 100. Sorry if you don't agree wth me, but your opinion isn't fact either.
    This current administration is getting things done no doubt. As far as the "not trying" part, I was addressing the "attitude" rather than the actual action. We still have people in this fan base who are laissez faire and ok with where we are now. Or they just say "We will never get there. Why are we even trying?"

    And I say to them, "That is a loser's mentality."

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    That just because we cut checks..that doesn't mean there isn't actual work to be done by people. Unless you work for the athletic department you aren't doing anything (actual work)
    Of course not, are you picking up a shovel or hammer? If someone raises a reasonable question, they don't need to be doing actual work or have involvement in the project. It's kind of an irrelevant statement when you consider the fact that you are not doing any actual work yourself.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This current administration is getting things done no doubt. As far as the "not trying" part, I was addressing the "attitude" rather than the actual action. We still have people in this fan base who are laissez faire and ok with where we are now. Or they just say "We will never get there. Why are we even trying?"

    And I say to them, "That is a loser's mentality."
    And you think you post on Ragin Pagin will change those people? Takes all kinds, so what if they are happy with where we are now. Who are you to tell those people they shouldn't be happy with something? That sounds like a lot more of a losers mentality to me. Maybe they just don't care that much but I'm pretty sure their money is just as green as everyone else's.

  16. #136
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,319

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This current administration is getting things done no doubt. As far as the "not trying" part, I was addressing the "attitude" rather than the actual action. We still have people in this fan base who are laissez faire and ok with where we are now. Or they just say "We will never get there. Why are we even trying?"

    And I say to them, "That is a loser's mentality."
    Same ones that complain about things we used to get for free of low cost? The "this isn't the way we've done things" attitude?

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Of course not, are you picking up a shovel or hammer? If someone raises a reasonable question, they don't need to be doing actual work or have involvement in the project. It's kind of an irrelevant statement when you consider the fact that you are not doing any actual work yourself.
    But im not the one accusing the people who actually are doing the work of doing nothing. Im not gonna sit in my ivory tower and criticize people of not trying if im not standing next to them doing the work. The results we are seeing that I mentioned earlier show me they they are working and trying. We sure know what not working and not trying looks like and it doesn't look like this. Again, never happens fast enough for the people who aren't actually doing it. That's true in business as well.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    And you think you post on Ragin Pagin will change those people? Takes all kinds, so what if they are happy with where we are now. Who are you to tell those people they shouldn't be happy with something? That sounds like a lot more of a losers mentality to me. Maybe they just don't care that much but I'm pretty sure their money is just as green as everyone else's.
    Anyone who is not interested in our common goal, which is to progress this athletic program to unprecedented standing nationally, can ____ right off. I don't care how green their money is.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    And you think you post on Ragin Pagin will change those people? Takes all kinds, so what if they are happy with where we are now. Who are you to tell those people they shouldn't be happy with something? That sounds like a lot more of a losers mentality to me. Maybe they just don't care that much but I'm pretty sure their money is just as green as everyone else's.
    Yeah, they have a right to be happy with the status quo. But they're going to get called out when they openly complain to me when Maggard is trying to do something good for our athletic program. My donated money is just as green as theirs.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Same ones that complain about things we used to get for free of low cost? The "this isn't the way we've done things" attitude?
    Exactly. Bingo.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •