_ _ _ _
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Results 161 to 177 of 177

Thread: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Those are getting less and less by the day, and they can want that all they want but free parking and showing up 15 minute before is no longer an option so they either show up and complain or they won't but they aren't gonna change. You can want advancement and still be happy with where things are and where they are headed. Enjoying the current state of things doesn't Mean you don't think things can be better or that you don't want them to be. When you are talking thousands of people there will be a lot of differences and there isn't anything wrong with that. A couple of old schoolers yearning for the old days does not represent the masses.
    This is true. I hear some older fans talk like this, but they are not supporting the program in any appreciable way. We are now conditioned to come early, pay for parking, and watch the Cajuns play a bunch of schools we never knew existed 20 years ago. The last point is important. Playing team you have no historical attachments to make the price increases difficult for some to accept. I have accepted them, but I personally am not willing to pay any more additional money for the SBC. A few people here may think I am a bad fan, but I have other interest that are more important than going to a Georgia St game.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,106
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    If you aren't involved in the project how would one know that nothing is being done? Or that they (the people actually doing the work) "aren't trying" ? This is a results business and so far, the current leadership is producing results. A century of neglect isn't going to be fixed quickly and the facts are we are a have not of college athletics and we are trying to fix all these things in a down economy on a small
    budget. Everything im seeing is we have more people that are working/trying harder than anyone ever has here...but to some that will never be enough or will never happen fast enough. Facility upgrades, salary increases, learfield deal,major upgrade coming to football etc..sounds like a lot of people working to get us where we want to be. I was very vocal about things not being done under previous leadership when things were clearly not getting done or being botched. I don't see that currently under Maggard.
    You think some people don't have contacts at the university or with the contractors involved? In short, the same way it was discovered during the Russo Park construction, while some people were denying it publicly to cover their backsides. Now, I'm not certain of what was said that you disagree with and it maybe that they are completely wrong. I'm just saying, don't assume that every one that brings up concerns about projects are ____ing in the wind. But what specifically was said that you disagree with?

  3. #163
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Micky kicked SP out the draft room and hired Jeff Ireland to take that over.
    Yea... umm no..... SP runs that organization...

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Then you can't read to well...
    I don't read every thread here. I personally have not seen references to free parking and playing a SLC schedule in 4 or 5 years on this site. Can you copy some of these recent remarks or send me a link where these comments are made?

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,860

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Yea... umm no..... SP runs that organization...
    Without Jeff Ireland, SP would be one of the highest paid OC's in the league right now. That draft saved his tail.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,977

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Yea... umm no..... SP runs that organization...
    Ireland was hired in feb of 2015 & just so happened saints had 2 of their best draft classes in 16 & 17 ... for a SP draft look no further than 2014 outside of a few late round gems saints from 2007- 2015 have been awful in the draft

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,074
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the VAST majority (not every single case) of G5's have cyclical success, if they have success at all.

    Few win titles in any sport every single year. Few make post season play every single year. As Robe said, there are schools that would LOVE to have won 35 and 34 games the last two seasons. But here that isn't the goal. The bar is where it is because Robe, his coaches and his players have set the bar high. And, none of us need to remind Robe we are not willing to lower the bar. And, that's because HE is not willing to lower the bar.

    But the cycle won't go away. It just doesn't happen that way. Some cycles last longer than others. But the cycle is there.

    I think Robe's unwillingness to lower the bar is what makes (at least for me) this "holding him accountable" thing kind of silly.

    You never have to hold a coach accountable when he has a higher standard. He does that himself, without help from the fan base.

    And, that's what makes Robe, Robe.
    Cycles are generally worse in baseball because of the incremental scholarship system.

    That and the three-n-out percieved value pay scam the MLB draft system is running.

    Turnover is greater, planning consistency is harder than other sports.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    You think some people don't have contacts at the university or with the contractors involved? In short, the same way it was discovered during the Russo Park construction, while some people were denying it publicly to cover their backsides. Now, I'm not certain of what was said that you disagree with and it maybe that they are completely wrong. I'm just saying, don't assume that every one that brings up concerns about projects are ____ing in the wind. But what specifically was said that you disagree with?
    Yes, I was one of those people during Russo construction who had the contacts of contractors and knew what was happening..or wasn't happening i should say. I was responding to the "we should at least try, if rather fall flat on my face but we we should at least try" well it looks to me like Maggard and tjoe are trying e erythomg they can. Probably spending money we don't have trying to better this place. The Russo fiasco was under old leadership, so what project is currently being botched under Maggard? He has been here a little over a year and already has people sitting at a table to upgrade football stadium. What is there to btch about? What is he dragging his feet on? Does all of this malcontent boil down to Jeremy Talbot? I just don't get it, who cares what a couple small time thinking knuckleheads think, you think they were going to help advance anyway? The sky is falling mentality never seems to go away. I don't ever remember a time in Cajun athletics where the department was headed in a better direction as a whole than it is now. Somehow acknowledging that makes a person accepting mediocrity or small time.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,106
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Yes, I was one of those people during Russo construction who had the contacts of contractors and knew what was happening..or wasn't happening i should say. I was responding to the "we should at least try, if rather fall flat on my face but we we should at least try" well it looks to me like Maggard and tjoe are trying e erythomg they can. Probably spending money we don't have trying to better this place. The Russo fiasco was under old leadership, so what project is currently being botched under Maggard? He has been here a little over a year and already has people sitting at a table to upgrade football stadium. What is there to btch about? What is he dragging his feet on? Does all of this malcontent boil down to Jeremy Talbot? I just don't get it, who cares what a couple small time thinking knuckleheads think, you think they were going to help advance anyway? The sky is falling mentality never seems to go away. I don't ever remember a time in Cajun athletics where the department was headed in a better direction as a whole than it is now. Somehow acknowledging that makes a person accepting mediocrity or small time.
    Okay, fair enough. Yes, some people are not content unless they are complaining about something. I'm not certain that any project is behind, because to my memory no specific timetable was laid out for the stadium once Dr. Maggard was hired. And with the economy downsized in recent years, revisiting the Master Plan to fit our current needs and fundraising is a sound decision. In my opinion, I never bought into building an upper deck, but focusing on the luxury suites and still keep the family feel to the stadium. I like the SMU model, it would work just fine for us. You can always add levels as we grow. But that's my opinion and others have a different vision. I'm not concerned about our stadium project outside of finding corporate money from outside our area.

    https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...gMDrwQoioILzAB

  10. #170
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Yes, I was one of those people during Russo construction who had the contacts of contractors and knew what was happening..or wasn't happening i should say. I was responding to the "we should at least try, if rather fall flat on my face but we we should at least try" well it looks to me like Maggard and tjoe are trying e erythomg they can. Probably spending money we don't have trying to better this place. The Russo fiasco was under old leadership, so what project is currently being botched under Maggard? He has been here a little over a year and already has people sitting at a table to upgrade football stadium. What is there to btch about? What is he dragging his feet on? Does all of this malcontent boil down to Jeremy Talbot? I just don't get it, who cares what a couple small time thinking knuckleheads think, you think they were going to help advance anyway? The sky is falling mentality never seems to go away. I don't ever remember a time in Cajun athletics where the department was headed in a better direction as a whole than it is now. Somehow acknowledging that makes a person accepting mediocrity or small time.
    Where has anyone in any thread made comments negatively about the job Maggard has done? I'm trying to follow to where you got to this post and I just can't see it.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Yes, I was one of those people during Russo construction who had the contacts of contractors and knew what was happening..or wasn't happening i should say. I was responding to the "we should at least try, if rather fall flat on my face but we we should at least try" well it looks to me like Maggard and tjoe are trying e erythomg they can. Probably spending money we don't have trying to better this place. The Russo fiasco was under old leadership, so what project is currently being botched under Maggard? He has been here a little over a year and already has people sitting at a table to upgrade football stadium. What is there to btch about? What is he dragging his feet on? Does all of this malcontent boil down to Jeremy Talbot? I just don't get it, who cares what a couple small time thinking knuckleheads think, you think they were going to help advance anyway? The sky is falling mentality never seems to go away. I don't ever remember a time in Cajun athletics where the department was headed in a better direction as a whole than it is now. Somehow acknowledging that makes a person accepting mediocrity or small time.
    For the second time, I was using that phrase of " at least trying" to the naysayers in our fan base who think that Maggard is overreaching in getting us to where we need to be. It had nothing to do with the job he is doing. Go reread the post and notice who I was referring to.

    Once again, Maggard and his staff are exactly what this university has been needing for a long time. That's what I have been preaching this entire time. Where on Earth did you read in my thread that I disagreed?

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,106
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    For the second time, I was using that phrase of " at least trying" to the naysayers in our fan base who think that Maggard is overreaching in getting us to where we need to be. It had nothing to do with the job he is doing. Go reread the post and notice who I was referring to.

    Once again, Maggard and his staff are exactly what this university has been needing for a long time. That's what I have been preaching this entire time. Where on Earth did you read in my thread that I disagreed?
    I wasn't certain which comments he was talking about, that is why I asked which specifically were a problem with him. Yea, I can see you having a problem with Dr. Maggard after you and your father had lunch with him recently. LMAO!

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Yeah, I've met the man quite a few times; and it's safe to say he's not really a "USL" guy if you know what I mean.


  14. #174
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,997

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    This is true. I hear some older fans talk like this, but they are not supporting the program in any appreciable way. We are now conditioned to come early, pay for parking, and watch the Cajuns play a bunch of schools we never knew existed 20 years ago. The last point is important. Playing team you have no historical attachments to make the price increases difficult for some to accept. I have accepted them, but I personally am not willing to pay any more additional money for the SBC. A few people here may think I am a bad fan, but I have other interest that are more important than going to a Georgia St game.
    Understand that perspective. I don't look at it that way however. I look at it from the standpoint I am going to see the Cajuns play.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    For the second time, I was using that phrase of " at least trying" to the naysayers in our fan base who think that Maggard is overreaching in getting us to where we need to be. It had nothing to do with the job he is doing. Go reread the post and notice who I was referring to.

    Once again, Maggard and his staff are exactly what this university has been needing for a long time. That's what I have been preaching this entire time. Where on Earth did you read in my thread that I disagreed?
    Well i stand corrected and missed the context of the post. Those people are irrelevant, as long as Maggard and tjoe know where they want to go and an idea of how to get there, that's all that matters. Like i said to T, who cares what the small time knuckleheads think. There are negative people everywhere even at the best programs. Just because they are often the loudest doesn't make them the majority or relevant.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Well i stand corrected and missed the context of the post. Those people are irrelevant, as long as Maggard and tjoe know where they want to go and an idea of how to get there, that's all that matters. Like i said to T, who cares what the small time knuckleheads think. There are negative people everywhere even at the best programs. Just because they are often the loudest doesn't make them the majority or relevant.
    Agreed

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Cajun Field: UL's Maggard wants 'Wow Effect' function

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    If he wants a wow factor then one of the first things he needs to do is bulldoze the cox building. The new APC was not built in a way to have the cox building in front of it, and you can't see it or get the true beauty of it with the cox in the way. Got to get rid of the eye sore blocking the APC IMO.
    Read an article this morning about the new baseball club house facility being in the planning. Baseball is now using the cox for lockers and offices.

    Does this mean the new club house has to be built before you can bulldoze cox?

    Does this also mean all the club house funds have to be raised before we can focus on moneys for the football stadium?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •