_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Major and minor sports

Default Re: Major and minor sports

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    "Bertman, for example, said there were times in which he had 40 to 45 players on the roster, and all of them were receiving some scholarship money"

???
    That was then.

Now the rules are simple.

you have 11.7 scholarships. If you offer someone a scholarship, he must receive a minimum of 25%. You can have a maximum of 27 players on scholarship in any given season. Your roster limit is 35. This means you have at least eight players on your team every year that have no athletic aid.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    "Bertman, for example, said there were times in which he had 40 to 45 players on the roster, and all of them were receiving some scholarship money"

???
    Very simple.. 45 guys with each 1/4 scholarship equals 11.25. Baseball has 11.7

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    That was then.

Now the rules are simple.

you have 11.7 scholarships. If you offer someone a scholarship, he must receive a minimum of 25%. You can have a maximum of 27 players on scholarship in any given season. Your roster limit is 35. This means you have at least eight players on your team every year that have no athletic aid.
    But all 35 can receive certain kinds of need based and/or academics based aid in addition to the scholarship money.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    But all 35 can receive certain kinds of need based and/or academics based aid in addition to the scholarship money.
    Yep, hence why TOPS is so big for spring sports in LA. For baseball, 27 is the mandated amount of recipients for the 11.7 athletic scholarships , but I don't think softball has a mandated minimum number of recipients for the 12 available scholarships like baseball. As you stated, there are a number of grants & alternative scholarships that can be used in conjunction with or instead of athletic scholarships.

Correct. I'm referring to the 11.7 and the distribution of same.

The best part about soccer is I can take an hour nap and not miss a thing.
    could have taken a three hour nap in baltimore tonight.... during baseball

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

8 of the 35 get no athletic scholarship money. They can receive academic aid, grants, loans etc. however.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Yep, hence why TOPS is so big for spring sports in LA. For baseball, 27 is the mandated amount of recipients for the 11.7 athletic scholarships , but I don't think softball has a mandated minimum number of recipients for the 12 available scholarships like baseball. As you stated, there are a number of grants & alternative scholarships that can be used in conjunction with or instead of athletic scholarships.
    I believe softball gets 13 scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I'm the same. In fact, Soccer is the only sport that I can watch without having a rooting interest. It's almost mesmerizing, especially in the premier European leagues. It truly is the beautiful game.
    The difference between good and bad soccer is so vast. Like T-Ball and high school baseball. Watching MLS (in some markets) can give a person brain damage. La Liga or really any European league is a pleasure to watch, no matter who is playing.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I believe softball gets 13 scholarships.
    NCAA site says 12.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The difference between good and bad soccer is so vast. Like T-Ball and high school baseball. Watching MLS (in some markets) can give a person brain damage. La Liga or really any European league is a pleasure to watch, no matter who is playing.
    The MLS is emerging and getting a lot better quickly but you are correct that some of the smaller market teams who don't have the money to pay some of the better DP's are struggling to put a good product on the field. Teams like DC United and Colorado come to mind quickly although it looks like DC United will be signing Wayne Rooney. However, teams like Atlanta, LAFC, NYCFC and Columbus are just fun to watch.

The best part about soccer is I can take an hour nap and not miss a thing.
    Same for me and baseball. Nothing better than a near 4 hour hour snoozer where the announcers have to start talking about reality TV just to fill time. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The MLS is emerging and getting a lot better quickly but you are correct that some of the smaller market teams who don't have the money to pay some of the better DP's are struggling to put a good product on the field. Teams like DC United and Colorado come to mind quickly although it looks like DC United will be signing Wayne Rooney. However, teams like Atlanta, LAFC, NYCFC and Columbus are just fun to watch.
    FTR, took my son to a Dynamo game last year. We had a blast and will be back.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Blog Entries

Support Cajun Soccer
    They don't have to win!

Very simple.. 45 guys with each 1/4 scholarship equals 11.25. Baseball has 11.7
    you think he meant .25 only? why cant we see the registrars books?

women,s crew has 20 full counter and womens equstrian 15, let's open up the horse park again, and throw some pirogues in cypress lake, and make everyone dual sport and softball has 47 full rides

We just went this past weekend and had a great time. Very nice stadium and atmosphere.

We like to go to a few per year. MUCH better atmosphere and stadium than when they played at UH which was a nightmare. Funny thing is that the Dynamo are one of the "small"market teams that are competitive. I think I saw where their overall payroll for ALL players was around $5million per year where there are teams paying some of the DP's more than that by themselves. Its crazy. Attendance for the league is equal or greater to that of the NBA and growing. They just need to get more competitive balance in the player markets.

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    Support Cajun Soccer
    They don't have to win!
    I don't think it's quite that. I just think there's some sports where schools are willing to "let go" in order to concentrate on others.

I want Track & Field and especially Cross Country to be amongst the best in the Sunbelt and the State, but I also realize those sports don't move the needle enough for UL administration to truly care and pay attention to its progress (cross country) or current lack there of (track).

UL is going to focus on Football, Baseball, Softball and Basketball, and I understand why.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast