_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Major and minor sports

Default Re: Major and minor sports

If you remove offsides defenders and midfielders would have to stay back on defense and simultaneously not pushing the action on the other end, decreasing scoring. Having offsides allows your sweepers and midfielders to come up field and feed the forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I think the skill level in soccer is underrated and athletes are in great condition. However, the lack of scoring at the very high levels makes it tough to be a competitor amongst spectator sports in this country. Granted my idea of eliminating offsides rules is radical. Here is another that might have more merit. If a game is tied after regulation or extra time, have the winner be decided by which team had more shots on goal throughout the contest rather than penalty kicks. That would cause teams to be more aggressive and may result in more action. It may become a more popular spectator sport with time due to changing demographics. I have been hearing that it is about to become more popular on TV for 30 years however and little has changed. We may be reaching a tipping point however and I can see it growing eventually. If it does, collegiate athletics needs to prepare for it.
    The best part about soccer on TV...no commercials. IMHO commercials have ruined football. College games are too long by about 1 hour.
    Back to soccer, I would like to see no offsides once the ball is in the penalty box. I don't know if it would help, but it would be interesting to see.

The best part about soccer is I can take an hour nap and not miss a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Unless you watched the 2014 World Cup semifinal between Germany vs Brazil, then would've missed like 5 goals while you napped in that hour. I think Brazilians are still mourning over that loss.

Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    thats not what head count means, you dont need money highr than the head count. i didnt say make limit the entire roster. you are either full or walk-on. but yes you would lose tops or count as a full.
    I am very well aware of what head count means. You, however, appearantly fail to understand that as of today, no school outside Louisiana can compete with UL for TOPS eligible players; or that the minute the sport becomes headcount, that advantage disappears. The in state talent pool will then be as heavily reccruited in baseball as it is in football.

Good luck getting a kid to sign with UL instead of Florida, Texas, Florida State, Clemson, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am very well aware of what head count means. You, however, appearantly fail to understand that as of today, no school outside Louisiana can compete with UL for TOPS eligible players; or that the minute the sport becomes headcount, that advantage disappears. The in state talent pool will then be as heavily reccruited in baseball as it is in football.

Good luck getting a kid to sign with UL instead of Florida, Texas, Florida State, Clemson, etc.
    you yourself said we dont have the money to increase limits, dont you think the big boys want to increase that limit? many schools are using non tops "self funded" academic scholarships, one of wally foundation tenets was also "funding academic baseball scholarships".... 2.8 gpa for number one overall pick as a walkon? seems you are only talking about not losing our kids, how do you propose we get their kids?

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    The best part about soccer on TV...no commercials. IMHO commercials have ruined football. College games are too long by about 1 hour.
    Back to soccer, I would like to see no offsides once the ball is in the penalty box. I don't know if it would help, but it would be interesting to see.
    thats a great idea, i never thought of that. sorry for agreeing with you as it might draw ire you werent looking for.

i think more schools are already exceeding the scholarship limit, by imposing head count it opens the books and makes everyone honest. maybe we lose a few, but we will find out if the others were skirting the regs.

i heard of a school that had 40 baseball players on full scholarship but zero counted as athletic, wait until p5figures out how to do that, we will be begging for head count, but it will be too late

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Do you understand that if baseball goes headcount, the scholarship limit will increase to no less than 80 percent of the allowed roster limit? The current scholarship limit is 11.7. If baseball goes headcount, that number likely approaches 40, and will likely require us to add another women's sport because of Title IX. P5 doesn't care what it costs as long as it squeezes the little guys out. We would find the money to fund those scholarships, but many of our G5 and FCS peers would not.

Additionally, since every player would be on scholarship, the TOPS advantage that Louisiana schoolz have on in state players disappears, and the state will be flooded with SEC, ACC, Big XII and Big X recruiters, who do not recruiting heavily here now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    LOL!! I've said the same thing.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Do you understand that if baseball goes headcount, the scholarship limit will increase to no less than 80 percent of the allowed roster limit? The current scholarship limit is 11.7. If baseball goes headcount, that number likely approaches 40, and will likely require us to add another women's sport because of Title IX. P5 doesn't care what it costs as long as it squeezes the little guys out. We would find the money to fund those scholarships, but many of our G5 and FCS peers would not.

Additionally, since every player would be on scholarship, the TOPS advantage that Louisiana schoolz have on in state players disappears, and the state will be flooded with SEC, ACC, Big XII and Big X recruiters, who do not recruiting heavily here now.
    I just think softball would do the same thing. They make you divide those 11.7 over 28 players so they may make 28 the new total.

going head cound and limit rising seem to be two,different issues. no i didnt know it would automatically increase, i agree i don't want a large increase. but without head count others can already offer as many as they want, since they find other ways. (ironically many on here in the past wanted increases)

be interesting to see how many of these "walk-ons" had academic or need based financial aid...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/s.../12walkon.html

"Bertman, for example, said there were times in which he had 40 to 45 players on the roster, and all of them were receiving some scholarship money"

???

One reason I don't pay as much attention to soccer as some is because of the "offsides" rule. I think it prevents a lot of people from having interest. Think what basketball would be like with that rule.
    You are using the term incorrectly. It is "offside" not "offsides".

I think the skill level in soccer is underrated and athletes are in great condition. However, the lack of scoring at the very high levels makes it tough to be a competitor amongst spectator sports in this country. Granted my idea of eliminating offsides rules is radical. Here is another that might have more merit. If a game is tied after regulation or extra time, have the winner be decided by which team had more shots on goal throughout the contest rather than penalty kicks. That would cause teams to be more aggressive and may result in more action. It may become a more popular spectator sport with time due to changing demographics. I have been hearing that it is about to become more popular on TV for 30 years however and little has changed. We may be reaching a tipping point however and I can see it growing eventually. If it does, collegiate athletics needs to prepare for it.
    I've grown to love watching soccer. As a matter of fact, i watch nearly as much soccer in the fall and winter as I do football. I don't think the offside rule is what hurts soccer offense. I think, and you are likely watching US soccer, is the tactical side domestically is typically that of a build up style. I mean that the style you typically see here in the US is one that is not as counter attack driven and the offense is built up through the midfield. That means more passing and moving the ball up the field slowly before attacking the box. In europe, their game is built up quicker with a generally more aggressive offensive approach and you can see the difference at their elite levels.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I've grown to love watching soccer. As a matter of fact, i watch nearly as much soccer in the fall and winter as I do football. I don't think the offside rule is what hurts soccer offense. I think, and you are likely watching US soccer, is the tactical side domestically is typically that of a build up style. I mean that the style you typically see here in the US is one that is not as counter attack driven and the offense is built up through the midfield. That means more passing and moving the ball up the field slowly before attacking the box. In europe, their game is built up quicker with a generally more aggressive offensive approach and you can see the difference at their elite levels.
    I'm the same. In fact, Soccer is the only sport that I can watch without having a rooting interest. It's almost mesmerizing, especially in the premier European leagues. It truly is the beautiful game.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast