_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Major and minor sports

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I have heard no mention of changing the scholarship system for the diamond sports other than this prediction. Does not mean it won't happen and VO may be famous for his forecast. No. of at large bids for mid majors decreased slightly this year due to the Big 10 getting more of them. He may be on to something.
    Well VO has proven prophetic many times before, so we'll see. (SBC scheduling changes being the most recent). I think he has a valid concern.

Default Re: Major and minor sports

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Baseball will surpass basketball, more people can relate to
    It, more people play it..it's generally the first sport you play as a kid. Anyone can play at a high level (you aren't disqualified for not being 6'2 or taller) the arms race has begun and its being covered like never before. Hopefully travel ball doesn't do to baseball what AAU has done to basketball.
    good points. it seems to me like the chicken and egg, south had advantage in it due to playing earlier, so were better, then covered because of that so advantage gets bigger. more example of espn-bias to aid in growing that coverage. wonder if south was good at lacrosse and north good at baseball which one would be covered more at ncaa level...
    i would rather see softball more, because there arent as many levels higher, so it is the top competition in that sport, whereas in baseball there are still five levels of pro ball in between college and mlb. a great college team can say 10 players made pros, a really poor short season A team can say all my players made the pros. but to counter college adds the atmosphere and feeling of team and urgency as your eligibility is expiring, and the fact in minor league baseball the player can be moved up or down without worrying about wins or losses at that level, only the parent club, hurts it somewhat.

One reason I don't pay as much attention to soccer as some is because of the "offsides" rule. I think it prevents a lot of people from having interest. Think what basketball would be like with that rule.
    hockey and football also have offsides. you want people just camping in front of goal all day. basketball has three seconds in lane, similar concept to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Yep, faking injuries makes it very hard to watch.
    thats a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The increasing national interest in baseball and softball will doom those sports at UL. It is only a matter of time until the P5 makes them headcount sports, like football and basketball, and until the CWS generates enough interest to make payouts to participants. When that happens, there will be a significant decline in talent level outside of the elite programs. There will also be significant decreases in the number of multi bid leagues in the tournament, similar to what has happened in basketball; and that will happen whether the sports become headcount ot remain partial scholarship sports.
    It's no coincidence that our two best sports are not a focus in the northern part of the Country. I personally think we will be OK because the season starts so early. If the ever move softball and baseball to start in Mid March, I think it would spell the end for mid majors as WS participants.

The increasing national interest in baseball and softball will doom those sports at UL. It is only a matter of time until the P5 makes them headcount sports, like football and basketball, and until the CWS generates enough interest to make payouts to participants. When that happens, there will be a significant decline in talent level outside of the elite programs. There will also be significant decreases in the number of multi bid leagues in the tournament, similar to what has happened in basketball; and that will happen whether the sports become headcount ot remain partial scholarship sports.
    i think they should already be headcount sports. when the number one pick in draft went to school free, but was considered a walkon that is a sad and unfair advantage. (a lot of people with higher than 2.8 gpa were robbed of chance at academic scholarship)

as long as the total doesnt increase dramtically, making it head count would be more likely to help us. but i dont think it will happen

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    as long as the total doesnt increase dramtically, making it head count would be more likely to help us. but i dont think it will happen
    Really? Where do we get the extra money for the extra 28+ scholarships for baseball, and 25 or so for softball? And how many kids do we lose because some good P5 offered them a spot? Now we can compete by offering a third when lsu is offering a quarter, and we can beat out of state schools because of TOPS. Once the TOPS advantage is gone, Louisiana recruiting for baseball and softball changes dramatically.

Soccer will never come close to being as popular as Football in this country. It's kind of a kids sport.
    I played it in grade school and my kids played it as children. The only reason it's "so popular" around the world is for one: they don't have real football and two: it's a cheap sport that that anyone can play even in poor countries. It lacks scoring and the skill level is small compared to football. jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Soccer will never come close to being as popular as Football in this country. It's kind of a kids sport.
    I played it in grade school and my kids played it as children. The only reason it's "so popular" around the world is for one: they don't have real football and two: it's a cheap sport that that anyone can play even in poor countries. It lacks scoring and the skill level is small compared to football. jmo.
    Skill level is small? You must be trolling. Soccer at the elite level laughs at that notion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Well, if we keep importing illegal immigrants from third world countries, soccer will be the most popular sport in the US by 2035. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Well, if we keep importing illegal immigrants from third world countries, soccer will be the most popular sport in the US by 2035. JMO
    That is certainly a factor T.

Haha. You Bubbas are so predictable. Immigration has nothing to do with the popularity of the sport.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Haha. You Bubbas are so predictable. Immigration has nothing to do with the popularity of the sport.
    You leftest don't think beyond the end of your nose. If the most popular sports in central and south America is soccer, why would you not think the sport would grow in popularity in this country as more come? The same with North Africa, some Asian Countries and the Middle East. But their immigration, legal or illegal wouldn't have anything to do with the growing popularity of the sport in the US? Please!

For the record, I stated illegal immigrants, not immigration. I know the difference between immigrants and illegal immigrants. They are not the same.

You leftest don't think beyond the end of your nose. If the most popular sports in central and south America is soccer, why would you not think the sport would grow in popularity in this country as more come? The same with North Africa, some Asian Countries and the Middle East. But their immigration, legal or illegal wouldn't have anything to do with the growing popularity of the sport in the US? Please!

For the record, I stated illegal immigrants, not immigration. I know the difference between immigrants and illegal immigrants. They are not the same.
    For the record, I'm far from a leftist. I'm an open-minded moderate who loves soccer, and I didn't even know the rules of the sport until I was 40. Each generation has a greater percentage of people that consider it their favorite sport. It's laughable to think that illegal immigrants are the reason for this. They have way more important issues to deal with, like survival and feeding their families. And before you jump to conclusions, I'm against illegal immigration, for secure boarders, married to a legal immigrant, and voted for Trump.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    It's no coincidence that our two best sports are not a focus in the northern part of the Country. I personally think we will be OK because the season starts so early. If the ever move softball and baseball to start in Mid March, I think it would spell the end for mid majors as WS participants.

I don't think that will happen. I have heard March 1 as a potential start date. I would be OK with that as I don't think it will hurt us much. Play the final games of the CWS around July 4 and the sport would grow.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

For the record, I'm far from a leftist. I'm an open-minded moderate who loves soccer, and I didn't even know the rules of the sport until I was 40. Each generation has a greater percentage of people that consider it their favorite sport. It's laughable to think that illegal immigrants are the reason for this. They have way more important issues to deal with, like survival and feeding their families. And before you jump to conclusions, I'm against illegal immigration, for secure boarders, married to a legal immigrant, and voted for Trump.
    I think the skill level in soccer is underrated and athletes are in great condition. However, the lack of scoring at the very high levels makes it tough to be a competitor amongst spectator sports in this country. Granted my idea of eliminating offsides rules is radical. Here is another that might have more merit. If a game is tied after regulation or extra time, have the winner be decided by which team had more shots on goal throughout the contest rather than penalty kicks. That would cause teams to be more aggressive and may result in more action. It may become a more popular spectator sport with time due to changing demographics. I have been hearing that it is about to become more popular on TV for 30 years however and little has changed. We may be reaching a tipping point however and I can see it growing eventually. If it does, collegiate athletics needs to prepare for it.

Blog Entries

Okay great, for the record I'm not a Bubbas. I'm for legal immigration. I have friends that have done it right, waited 8 years and paid $15K to become American Citizens. I don't believe people coming to the US illegally seeking economic opportunities are legal. They are not leaving their countries because they are being persecuted, most of them voted for the Marxist regimes they have left behind.

Back to the discussion of soccer. I simply pointed out there is a direct correlation between the growth of soccer in the US and the illegal population. They don't stop loving the sport when they get to this country and you see it in Texas and other border states. Their children are playing in youth sports leagues in large numbers, in their communities. That was the point I was trying to make.

Really? Where do we get the extra money for the extra 28+ scholarships for baseball, and 25 or so for softball? And how many kids do we lose because some good P5 offered them a spot? Now we can compete by offering a third when lsu is offering a quarter, and we can beat out of state schools because of TOPS. Once the TOPS advantage is gone, Louisiana recruiting for baseball and softball changes dramatically.
    thats not what head count means, you dont need money highr than the head count. i didnt say make limit the entire roster. you are either full or walk-on. but yes you would lose tops or count as a full.

I think the skill level in soccer is underrated and athletes are in great condition. However, the lack of scoring at the very high levels makes it tough to be a competitor amongst spectator sports in this country. Granted my idea of eliminating offsides rules is radical. Here is another that might have more merit. If a game is tied after regulation or extra time, have the winner be decided by which team had more shots on goal throughout the contest rather than penalty kicks. That would cause teams to be more aggressive and may result in more action. It may become a more popular spectator sport with time due to changing demographics. I have been hearing that it is about to become more popular on TV for 30 years however and little has changed. We may be reaching a tipping point however and I can see it growing eventually. If it does, collegiate athletics needs to prepare for it.
    good idea, but it could result in people just shooting poor quality shots, just blasting away with ni chance

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast