_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Major and minor sports

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Baseball will surpass basketball, more people can relate to
    It, more people play it..it's generally the first sport you play as a kid. Anyone can play at a high level (you aren't disqualified for not being 6'2 or taller) the arms race has begun and its being covered like never before. Hopefully travel ball doesn't do to baseball what AAU has done to basketball.
    Will soccer and lacrosse eventually pass both football and basketball in interest!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Major and minor sports

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    No doubt baseball has more interest in Louisiana and Acadiana. However there are still plenty of mid major schools in the south that don't draw anything for baseball. Even South Alabama and Troy don't come close to what we do here.
    Fixed it for you.

Acadiana has a long history of "league" ball.

Abbeville has hosted countless (for me) Little League and Babe Ruth World Series.

Virtually every town in Acadiana has multi-diamond facilities. Some State of the art. Some nicer than many colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Will soccer and lacrosse eventually pass both football and basketball in interest!
    Quite possibly, maybe not in our lifetime but there is a reason soccer is the biggest sport in the world...even though a lot of mericans hate it because they either never played or don't understand the game.

Quite possibly, maybe not in our lifetime but there is a reason soccer is the biggest sport in the world...even though a lot of mericans hate it because they either never played or don't understand the game.
    One reason I don't pay as much attention to soccer as some is because of the "offsides" rule. I think it prevents a lot of people from having interest. Think what basketball would be like with that rule.

One reason I don't pay as much attention to soccer as some is because of the "offsides" rule. I think it prevents a lot of people from having interest. Think what basketball would be like with that rule.
    There would be even less scoring without that rule. Each team would sit back on defense the entire game. Soccer is perfect as it is.

Blog Entries

My two cents, I'm greedy.......if you bother to fund them with coaches/scholarships, then I see it as a major sport and goal needs to be a nationally recognized, competitive teams. I'd like to see soccer, tennis, volleyball golf and T&F (all variables of T&F) be more than mediocre within our conference.....but the team to beat every year.

When UL plays.....I want to win.

IMO, in women's sports......UL women's soccer & volleyball are huge missed opportunities to be nationally competitive in high growth sports. Need to bring in ringer coaches with strong ties to elite travel teams/international recruiting ability. These two sports could quickly be softball level nationally competitive at UL with strong hires.

What? Allowing snow birding? Clearly you have never played soccer..which is my point..until you play you don't understand

Blog Entries

What? Allowing snow birding? Clearly you have never played soccer..which is my point..until you play you don't understand
    Well, I didn't play the game growing up either. Learned the basic rules from two friends, one played in college in Illinois and the other grew up playing the game in Venezuela. Learned enough from both to coach 5 to 8 year olds, but never had the passion for the game. I still don't today and it will never be in my Top 3 or 4 sports. It's the only game that you can fall asleep for an hour and wake up to the same score.

I'd like to see offside rule limited to the mid line. Once the ball passes it, no more offsides.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Well, I didn't play the game growing up either. Learned the basic rules from two friends, one played in college in Illinois and the other grew up playing the game in Venezuela. Learned enough from both to coach 5 to 8 year olds, but never had the passion for the game. I still don't today and it will never be in my Top 3 or 4 sports. It's the only game that you can fall asleep for an hour and wake up to the same score.
    Exactly, you don't know the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I'd like to see offside rule limited to the mid line. Once the ball passes it, no more offsides.
    100% agree......I can remember the FC Dallas Academy coaches for years teaching my son's teams to NOT be to quick to rotate back on defense. NOT hustling back on defense & force offside penalties is a strategic advantage. That and faking injuries to get pretty, colorful cards waved.

Soccer is not a warrior sport. Way to sissy pants for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    100% agree......I can remember the FC Dallas Academy coaches for years teaching my son's teams to NOT be to quick to rotate back on defense. NOT hustling back on defense & force offside penalties is a strategic advantage. That and faking injuries to get pretty, colorful cards waved.

Soccer is not a warrior sport. Way to sissy pants for me.
    Yep, faking injuries makes it very hard to watch.

Blog Entries

Exactly, you don't know the game.
    I know enough to realize it will never be something I will spend hours watching.

Blog Entries

My solution to make Soccer popular "here" is change the scoring system.

Award 1 point for every :15 (consecutive) seconds your team held the ball before scoring.

Take away 1 point for every :60 (consecutive) seconds your team held the ball without scoring.

The long term effects of the head injuries that occur in American football will be what ends the game as we know it today. I believe the game will survive, but the tackling part of the game will one day be removed. It'll be flag football, but when that's all we have, we'll all watch it.

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I know enough to realize it will never be something I will spend hours watching.
    Or $$$$$$ on.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The increasing national interest in baseball and softball will doom those sports at UL. It is only a matter of time until the P5 makes them headcount sports, like football and basketball, and until the CWS generates enough interest to make payouts to participants. When that happens, there will be a significant decline in talent level outside of the elite programs. There will also be significant decreases in the number of multi bid leagues in the tournament, similar to what has happened in basketball; and that will happen whether the sports become headcount ot remain partial scholarship sports.

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    The long term effects of the head injuries that occur in American football will be what ends the game as we know it today. I believe the game will survive, but the tackling part of the game will one day be removed. It'll be flag football, but when that's all we have, we'll all watch it.
    So what you are saying is that only the fast, speedy and long will survive?

More of a basketball player style body type will be playing the game?

My kids played a little and I actually helped coach one year.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The increasing national interest in baseball and softball will doom those sports at UL. It is only a matter of time until the P5 makes them headcount sports, like football and basketball, and until the CWS generates enough interest to make payouts to participants. When that happens, there will be a significant decline in talent level outside of the elite programs. There will also be significant decreases in the number of multi bid leagues in the tournament, similar to what has happened in basketball; and that will happen whether the sports become headcount ot remain partial scholarship sports.
    I have heard no mention of changing the scholarship system for the diamond sports other than this prediction. Does not mean it won't happen and VO may be famous for his forecast. No. of at large bids for mid majors decreased slightly this year due to the Big 10 getting more of them. He may be on to something.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast