_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Major and minor sports

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Major and minor sports

When I was in HS a while back, the major sports were footaball, basketball, baseball, and track,....a.m. I correct in calling football, men's basketball, women's basketball, softball and baseball the present day UL major sports? Also should these be the only ones and be funded as such?

Default Re: Major and minor sports

Most present day colleges will have football, basketball, and baseball as your top three or major sports. At UL, I would add softball in as a bonus not only due to their success, but also due to the support and revenue that is generated even for a Title IX sport.

at Louisiana:

1) Football
    2) Baseball
    3) Basketball
    4) Softball

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    at Louisiana:

1) Football
    2) Baseball
    3) Basketball
    4) Softball
    Is this from a passion or revenue standpoint? I only ask because I'm slightly more passionate about baseball but unsure in which sport, baseball or basketball, provides the program more money after all expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Is this from a passion or revenue standpoint? I only ask because I'm slightly more passionate about baseball but unsure in which sport, baseball or basketball, provides the program more money after all expenses.
    Well, IMO it's every way conceivable. But just pure numbers in crowds, impact on the total program, revenue, popularity of sport nationwide, etc.. it's gotta be football #1.

Personally, baseball is by far my favorite sport to follow here. Having said that, football drives the bus. In every way.

Well, IMO it's every way conceivable. But just pure numbers in crowds, impact on the total program, revenue, popularity of sport nationwide, etc.. it's gotta be football #1.

Personally, baseball is by far my favorite sport to follow here. Having said that, football drives the bus. In every way.
    Absolutely! My previous post may have been misleading, I have since updated it, but I was comparing baseball vs. basketball and which one has the larger financial impact. I wholeheartedly feel football drives the bus. It's also the sport I'm most passionate about.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Absolutely! My previous post may have been misleading, I have since updated it, but I was comparing baseball vs. basketball and which one has the larger financial impact. I wholeheartedly feel football drives the bus. It's also the sport I'm most passionate about.
    Basketball has the potential to be the most significant financially. That would happen with an NCAA tournament win or frequent NCAA appearances. I would agree that right now baseball is more popular at UL. That is due to the nice run we made between 2013 to 2016. The new stadium has also helped create interest. You can also get at large bids in baseball from the SBC while you cannot in basketball. That is significant in my mind. All that being said, if the bats don't perform more consistently soon, you will see baseball interest drop some.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Basketball has the potential to be the most significant financially. That would happen with an NCAA tournament win or frequent NCAA appearances. I would agree that right now baseball is more popular at UL. That is due to the nice run we made between 2013 to 2016. The new stadium has also helped create interest. You can also get at large bids in baseball from the SBC while you cannot in basketball. That is significant in my mind. All that being said, if the bats don't perform more consistently soon, you will see baseball interest drop some.
    I'm not certain about the that Mike. What would UL have to average in attendance to run it's program in the black? The additional revenue from NCAA appearances would certainly help in that regard, but would this program ever get 9,000 fans in the Dome again as we did when we played UNO or even Western Kentucky?

But, I also think UL football has the highest ceiling because we've just touched the surface under Hudspeth during his first four years of his tenure. I still believe the growth potential is there with the right schedule, conference alignment and results. Football is still king in the south and that is where we must become successful again and raise the ceiling of our athletic program.

Mike, you are sincerely one of my favorite guys on the planet, but c'mon.. The sport as a whole is all but dead outside of about 30 programs. The NCAA has destroyed the product (along with shoe companies and AAU) and now they're digging the proverbial grave by eliminating Cinderella from the dance.

The SBC is a bottom feeder league that has a LONG LONG LONG way to go to even be considered a respectable league. And in that butt hole of a league, we've been middle of the pack for 15 years, if you take the average.

On top of that, the college basketball product in general is not entertaining. Coaches and officials suffocate the games, fundamentals have all but disappeared and 10 great assists has been replaced with taking 10 three pointers a game. And that's the very best programs, let alone the bad leagues.

It would take a radical shift in strategy at UL for basketball to be taken seriously here again. That's my opinion anyway.

I think for starters, basketball needs to start winning more consistently against good competition. And I'm not talking about beating Louisiana College and Centenary to boost that "20-win season." All of VObserver's posts regarding scheduling has finally come into fruition.

The reason why baseball and softball have been able to attract respectable P5's to Lafayette, besides their past successes, is the fact that they don't hurt the RPI of those schools. Basketball's RPI has improved over the past few years, but it will take a few more years of consistent winning to get to that level. Winning cures all in this matter. We have to give the P5's a reason to come to the Cajundome. As long as we keep missing the tournament and producing mediocrity on the basketball court, we will continue this cycle of schedule talk and debate on whether or not we can attract respectable programs to come to Lafayette. Until then, we are stuck with the likes of Loyola of New Orleans and Louisiana College.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I think for starters, basketball needs to start winning more consistently against good competition. And I'm not talking about beating Louisiana College and Centenary to boost that "20-win season." All of VObserver's posts regarding scheduling has finally come into fruition.

The reason why baseball and softball have been able to attract respectable P5's to Lafayette, besides their past successes, is the fact that they don't hurt the RPI of those schools. Basketball's RPI has improved over the past few years, but it will take a few more years of consistent winning to get to that level. Winning cures all in this matter. We have to give the P5's a reason to come to the Cajundome. As long as we keep missing the tournament and producing mediocrity on the basketball court, we will continue this cycle of schedule talk and debate on whether or not we can attract respectable programs to come to Lafayette. Until then, we are stuck with the likes of Loyola of New Orleans and Louisiana College.
    Your overall point is well taken.

The causal fan doesn't GAF about RPI. They want to see good basketball against teams they recognize. And you need the casual fan to bring big numbers to the CajunDome.

Is college basketball dead in the Deep South?

Is college basketball dead in the Deep South?
    It's close. As long as the P5's continue their little monopoly attempt, it might be dead across the country before it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    It's close. As long as the P5's continue their little monopoly attempt, it might be dead across the country before it's all said and done.
    Places like the Mid-West and Northeast will never let the game of basketball die...but it is blatantly obvious that NCAA baseball has passed basketball up, in regards to interest, over the last 15 years in the Deep South.

Schools in the Midwest and the Northeast have deep-rooted history of national championships on their regions. The Deep South.....not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I'm not certain about the that Mike. What would UL have to average in attendance to run it's program in the black? The additional revenue from NCAA appearances would certainly help in that regard, but would this program ever get 9,000 fans in the Dome again as we did when we played UNO or even Western Kentucky?

But, I also think UL football has the highest ceiling because we've just touched the surface under Hudspeth during his first four years of his tenure. I still believe the growth potential is there with the right schedule, conference alignment and results. Football is still king in the south and that is where we must become successful again and raise the ceiling of our athletic program.

No argument that football must improve and it has the potential to do so. There is no doubt that whatever your accomplishments, they are not given appropriate recognition if football is not successful in this part of the country. As far as basketball in the NCAA tournament, I think each school gets 50 grand from each SBC game in the tournament. The participating team gets more but I am not sure how much more. I believe it is a significant amount however. Get in the tournament, win a game in the tournament, and you get revenue from 2 games which could be a boon. You also help your brand nationally much more with success in basketball than baseball as the north pays no attention to college diamond sports. I don't think any revenue is gained other than gates from baseball and softball appearances in the NCAA tournament. I do admit that baseball has more interest here than basketball at this time. I want them to both have significant support.

Places like the Mid-West and Northeast will never let the game of basketball die...but it is blatantly obvious that NCAA baseball has passed basketball up, in regards to interest, over the last 15 years in the Deep South.
    No doubt baseball has more interest in Louisiana and in Lafayette. However there are still plenty of mid major schools in the south that don't draw anything for baseball. Even South Alabama and Troy don't come close to what we do here.

Mike, you are sincerely one of my favorite guys on the planet, but c'mon.. The sport as a whole is all but dead outside of about 30 programs. The NCAA has destroyed the product (along with shoe companies and AAU) and now they're digging the proverbial grave by eliminating Cinderella from the dance.

The SBC is a bottom feeder league that has a LONG LONG LONG way to go to even be considered a respectable league. And in that butt hole of a league, we've been middle of the pack for 15 years, if you take the average.

On top of that, the college basketball product in general is not entertaining. Coaches and officials suffocate the games, fundamentals have all but disappeared and 10 great assists has been replaced with taking 10 three pointers a game. And that's the very best programs, let alone the bad leagues.

It would take a radical shift in strategy at UL for basketball to be taken seriously here again. That's my opinion anyway.
    While baseball has more interest now here, I don't think we are at the point where basketball is not taken seriously. All the other points you raised about how the game has changed and often for the worse are valid. I also think there are more than 30 programs that care seriously for the sport. Lots of focus at many schools in the NE and Mid West. I agree that there are only about 30 schools that can consistently compete for the Final Four or even the Sweet 16. The original question is which sport can have the most impact financially, not which is most popular. I maintain that the NCAA tourney allows basketball to have that potential. Granted we have to improve to be harness the potential.

While baseball has more interest now here, I don't think we are at the point where basketball is not taken seriously. All the other points you raised about how the game has changed and often for the worse are valid. I also think there are more than 30 programs that care seriously for the sport. Lots of focus at many schools in the NE and Mid West. I agree that there are only about 30 schools that can consistently compete for the Final Four or even the Sweet 16. The original question is which sport can have the most impact financially, not which is most popular. I maintain that the NCAA tourney allows basketball to have that potential. Granted we have to improve to be harness the potential.
    I meant taken seriously on a national scale.

We can't benefit from the dance as a one big league in a significant way. Further more, this program in particular can't continue to go 1 of 8 years to the NCAAs and expect the fan base to be passionate about basketball.

I get that we are set up for failure from the beginning but that dove tails into my previous statements about college basketball as a whole.

Even ESPN is reallocating investment dollars into college baseball at a higher rate than before. College baseball has never been properly monetized and because of the down turn in quality of product in college basketball, the baseball support around the country will conintue to grow. As basketball continues to decline.

Baseball will surpass basketball, more people can relate to
    It, more people play it..it's generally the first sport you play as a kid. Anyone can play at a high level (you aren't disqualified for not being 6'2 or taller) the arms race has begun and its being covered like never before. Hopefully travel ball doesn't do to baseball what AAU has done to basketball.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast